Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:54 pm

Mike wrote:Pappy 20 YO for me this evening. This bourbon is really really good. Has always been and still is one of my all time favorites. I think I know where I can get another bottle...........I 'spect I better go get it.

YES
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:34 am

Last night, I attended a music festival. Brought along a flask with the remnants of my bottle of Rebel Yell. Sure tasted good to me and some fellow revelers. Yum, yum. :partyman:
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:18 pm

Ahhhh...Drinking; Singing, and Dancing!

Do You Know Where Your Pants Are?
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby SourMashManifesto » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:10 pm

Drinking a little WhistlePig Rye Whiskey tonight. Time to see what the fuss is about.
SourMashManifesto

Unread postby p_elliott » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:40 am

SourMashManifesto wrote:Drinking a little WhistlePig Rye Whiskey tonight. Time to see what the fuss is about.

How was it?
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby Cmanavy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:21 am

Hi there newbie to the forum and Burbon in general.

Tonight I'm cracking open a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 year old, barreled on 3-28-91, barrel 3127. Smells nice so far, I'm interested to see if this is a good one or one of the bad ones I read about.
Cmanavy

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:09 am

A couple of nights ago I finished off my bottle of Rebel Yell. I enjoyed this bottle immensely. Sorry to see it go.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:37 am

Another one bites the dust. Birthday Bourbon is now a memory. Another good one; vintage 1989.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Mike » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:23 pm

I am now sipping one of the most pleasing and enjoyable bourbons ever to cross my lips. It deserves every accolade it has ever received. It is so sublle, so balanced, so perfect, so sublime................that would be, of course, A H Hirsch 16 YO.

It is a crying shame that, when you can find it, the price has gone plumb out of sight. Hope nobody buys any and maybe after a while it will come back to earth and me and my dog will buy every single bottle in the whole world.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby howardf » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:35 pm

Mike wrote:I am now sipping one of the most pleasing and enjoyable bourbons ever to cross my lips. It deserves every accolade it has ever received. It is so sublle, so balanced, so perfect, so sublime................that would be, of course, A H Hirsch 16 YO.

It is a crying shame that, when you can find it, the price has gone plumb out of sight. Hope nobody buys any and maybe after a while it will come back to earth and me and my dog will buy every single bottle in the whole world.

This is one I'd love to try, but I can't bring myself to even begin to part with $300 for a bottle of it :(
howardf

Unread postby Mike » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:45 am

I know what you mean howardf, I laid in several bottles when they were about $75. I guv my brother two of them and I don't know why I did that. Just cause he is a more better fellow than me still don't mean he deserved 'em. I bet he done drunk 'em up too also. In my humble opinion, there isn't another bourbon quite like the 16 YO Hirsch (gold foil) available in the market today. Not to say that there are none its equal, but in my expereince there is nothing that has that same balance and subtlety.

'My' liquor store has about 10 of them at $289 each, but even such a foolish fellow as Mike won't pay that for them. Rocky tells me though that he has customers who come in and spend $3000 on older bourbons without batting an eye. Says he thinks they come up from FL. Rocky is good about looking out for his regular customers and he puts some of the hard to get stuff back just in case they want some. He knows that now and again, I cut the fool with my allowance.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby VaderTime » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:51 am

8 year old Wild Turkey 101 on the rocks. Delish, it gives me a warm feeling inside! :cherry:
VaderTime

Unread postby Birdo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:49 am

Tried a 50ml of old grand dad, and a 50 ml of JB Black 8 year. Both were plenty fine.
Birdo

Unread postby vince » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:48 pm

The 2010 Birthday bourbon has excellent balance, a nose of blackberry and caramel and a nice long finish. Great bourbon!
vince

Unread postby Birdo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:38 pm

Mike wrote:I know what you mean howardf, I laid in several bottles when they were about $75. I guv my brother two of them and I don't know why I did that. Just cause he is a more better fellow than me still don't mean he deserved 'em. I bet he done drunk 'em up too also. In my humble opinion, there isn't another bourbon quite like the 16 YO Hirsch (gold foil) available in the market today. Not to say that there are none its equal, but in my expereince there is nothing that has that same balance and subtlety.

'My' liquor store has about 10 of them at $289 each, but even such a foolish fellow as Mike won't pay that for them. Rocky tells me though that he has customers who come in and spend $3000 on older bourbons without batting an eye. Says he thinks they come up from FL. Rocky is good about looking out for his regular customers and he puts some of the hard to get stuff back just in case they want some. He knows that now and again, I cut the fool with my allowance.

That's insane my friend! I can't tell much difference between mid-grade and top shelf, so I usually stay under $20/750ml. Early Times is bad tho, Iearned that the hard way.
Birdo

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight