what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Unread postby vince » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:12 am

I purchased an Old Weller Antique (new label), Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon (2008 release-I purchased the 2009 a couple of weeks ago and find it to be a great bourbon), Noahs Mill, and a PVW 20 year Old.

I purchased the OWA because I wanted to compare it to the old label. I agree with many of the reviews here, the new label is better than the old label (and the old label is one of my favorite bourbons!). I purchased the OFBB because I just love these bourbons. I was excited when I found an 08 in a store in Nashville. I have read differing opinion on Noahs Mill, I wanted to give it a try and as for the PVW 20, this is the 3rd bottle I have purchased over the last 4 weeks. I just want to make sure I am never out of it! I am still searching for the STAGG. I am probaly going to make a trip to Louisville this week in search of it.
vince

Unread postby PaulO » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:51 am

I was in Indy and found some new package OWA 107. Now that I had an extra bottle I opened one. It had been a while, and I couldn't do a side by side comparison. It seemed at least as good or better than I remember. I also picked up some Old Fitz BIB. Only a few stores ever have it around here, and they aren't close. I saw a big display or several different Michters. The price started up in the $30s. What do you guys think?
PaulO

Unread postby drinkdrankdrunk » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:35 pm

Well I was looking for a score before the end of the year, to last me and the wife a while. I am going to try and spend less in the coming year on bourbon, and try and pay off the baby bills.

I came across a good stash of OWA 107 from the late 90's. The 1.75s are Louisville '97 and the Liters are '99 Frankfort. All very tasty juice at an excellent price. From what I've seen around Dallas, even if the store owner has old stock, they change their prices according to what they can buy it for now.

Not this old man that sold me this Weller. His philosophy is that when he has to buy new stock he will go with the new prices. Till then he is just interested in getting rid of what he has based on pricing when he purchased it. Not pictured is 1 lone 99 batch WT Rare Breed he had for $30. Can't pass on that either.
Weller.JPG
Weller.JPG (120.37 KiB) Viewed 6475 times
drinkdrankdrunk

Unread postby Don Galligan » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:38 pm

I think that would be enough OWA to last me a lifetime, or at least a decade! Must have been a hell of a price! Great score.

-Don
Don Galligan

Unread postby independant » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:39 pm

Love the Wellers but love the Jazz Hand that made it into the pic more
independant

Unread postby drinkdrankdrunk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:09 am

independant wrote:Love the Wellers but love the Jazz Hand that made it into the pic more

Yes, when the camera comes out it is hard to keep my son out of the shot. The first one I took he is actually sitting behind the bottles, but I did not think that would be appropriate.
drinkdrankdrunk

Unread postby BourbonDave » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:27 pm

Finally found those EWSB '00. I bought two. John Hansell gave it a 95!
BourbonDave

Unread postby Rotgut » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:40 am

I picked up a Wild Turkey Rare Breed. I'll have to double check the bottle info, but I think it was WT-03RB. 108.2 proof.

This is another deviation from my plan to slowly work my way up from the bottom shelf, but I found one for a good price. I like WT, the RB gets great reviews, and I've been wanting to try it.

What I expect to from it . . . It's got great reviews, some of the best I've read here so I was extra curious to see what the fuss was about. According to some, it's a bourbon for bourbon lovers, and I want to see if I love bourbon or not. Or if I should switch to purple vodka.

Mike
Rotgut

Unread postby gauze » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:10 pm

pvw fr 15 year and wt rye. why? I am replacing my finished bottle of wt rye and the pvw cause I like the nose of the 12 year special reserve but there is something I didn't like about so I want to try the next step up to see if it's better for me, and for $55 I couldn't resist.
gauze

Unread postby enzo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:20 pm

The 15, to me, is so much better (and the 12yr is already great)
Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough.
enzo

Unread postby vince » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:51 am

I agree with the gentleman from VA. The OWA 107 is much better and definitely worth the extra cash. I purchased a bottle of the WT Tradition this week. I havent tried it yet but am really looking forward to it based on some of the reviews I have seen here. I also purhcased a Van Winkle Rye (13 year old), havent tried it yet and a Handy Rye (finally found one bottle of the antigue collection).

Vince
vince

Unread postby independant » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:26 am

vince wrote:I agree with the gentleman from VA. The OWA 107 is much better and definitely worth the extra cash. I purchased a bottle of the WT Tradition this week. I havent tried it yet but am really looking forward to it based on some of the reviews I have seen here. I also purhcased a Van Winkle Rye (13 year old), havent tried it yet and a Handy Rye (finally found one bottle of the antigue collection).

Vince

Good call on the tradition and the VW rye. I do not have the way with words that our friend Mike does but I agree with him on the Tradition 100%. It is sublime. Let us know what you think
independant

Unread postby sailor22 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:46 pm

The office Santa left a bottle of Woodford Seasoned Oak on my desk. The season just got a little merrier! :D
sailor22

Unread postby Don Galligan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:14 pm

sailor22 wrote:The office Santa left a bottle of Woodford Seasoned Oak on my desk. The season just got a little merrier! :D

Nice!
Don Galligan

Unread postby Don Galligan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:14 pm

Just picked up a bottle of Van Winkles Family Reserve 13 year old Rye. I wanted to give Rye a chance, since the Old Overholt was so awful. I thought if I went big, I wouldn't be disappointed again! Although I could have gotten the Thomas Hardy Sazerac but it was $20 more and I used that to justify paying the $54 for the Van Winkles! Also picked up an Early times 350ml Tennessee Whiskey just for shits and giggles!
Don Galligan

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight