what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Unread postby gauze » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:56 am

Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year Lot B - hoping the hype is true. Expecting to get a noseful and get lost in it.
W.L. Weller BTAC 2008 - it looked lonely. Dunno what to expect except firewater.
gauze

Unread postby p_elliott » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:45 am

gauze wrote:Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year Lot B - hoping the hype is true. Expecting to get a noseful and get lost in it.
W.L. Weller BTAC 2008 - it looked lonely. Dunno what to expect except firewater.

Gauze if you've never had the high proof whiskeys like the WLW before start with VERY small sips or you'll fry your taste buds and won't be able to taste the bourbon or anything else for that matter for a little while. You'll get plenty of flavor from small sips trust me.
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby sailor22 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:52 am

gauze, Unless you have been drinking high proof Bourbon neat for awhile try the Weller with some spring water to bring the proof down to near 100. It will probably be a more pleasant experience.
sailor22

Unread postby gauze » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:37 pm

I have had the 08 Handy Saz neat (125 some odd proof) and it was a bit too much I'll admit. I didn't think the difference between 100-101 proof stuff like WT or KC which I can drink neat with ease would be so much.
gauze

Unread postby bentrod » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:28 pm

2 bottles of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2007

1 bottle of ORVW 10/107. Only 26.99 + tax. They had several more on the shelf. Would have bought more but I am traveling for work and have no more room in the luggage.
bentrod

Unread postby Pieface » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:30 am

I was on holidays and found a few bottles of Hirsh 16YO with the foil top. I brought 2 of them home with me as they were better than half price at $80 each (remember this is Australia, the bourbon wasteland! ) which is the same price as a bottle of Bakers here. I also thought it would be nice to have something special/rare tucked away.

I talked the brother in law into opening his bottle and I have to say that despite the foil top not getting a lot of love about the place I found it to be very fine whiskey.
Pieface

Unread postby fishnbowljoe » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:08 pm

A friend went in to Binny's last Saturday and picked me up four bottles of Binny's Weller 12. Took delivery last night. :) Might have to open one this weekend. Joe
"The only bad bourbon, is the one you didn't have."

Please drink responsibly
fishnbowljoe

Unread postby gauze » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:43 pm

ok made a trip up to Julio's in Westboro, MA an, until now, unknown store to me, here's what I grabbed:

OWA 107/7 (!)
OWA 107/no age statement (just realized this is BD/BE selected edition)
Wild Turkey Rare (gift set in glass fronted wooden box w/ 2 glasses, I'm a sucker for this kind of thing, I know a lot of you hate this kind of thing)
Eagle Rare 17-Year 2009
Sazerac (Julio's Exclusive Single Barrel edition, Barrel #3)

Why? cause I am curious about all of the above I have not had any of them before.

Expectations:

OWA, not sure ... have a glass next to me airing out a bit. See if there is a wheater I like I guess.
WTR: I really like wild turkey so this barrel strength sounds like heaven to me
ER17: no idea, never had any eagle rare before, hear it has a sweet profile.
Sazerac: I've had Handy Saz uncut and BTAC 18 year (which is maybe the best whiskey I ever had, maybe) interested in the standard strength age stuff now. (I know it's not a bourbon btw.)
gauze

Unread postby Rotgut » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:32 am

OGD 114. Why? I really like the OGD BIB so I wanted to see if this was the next level. It gets lots of good reviews here, too. First impressions - after trying it twice so far I like it, although I'm not sure why. It seems to have little nose and not much finish. Taste is good, though, sweet & woody, and it's a pleasure to drink. And are you sure it's 114 proof? Not 60? This is gonna take some more investigation . . .

Sazerac Rye. Why? I like ryes and this one has been on my list. It was on sale at my local bottle shoppe, so I made it mine. First impression - everything about it is delicate. Light, but not in a bad way. My wife isn't much for bourbon, but this is one she might drink. It'll probably go next to the BT as far as I think it'd be a good rye for someone that's new to it, or for a Scotch drinker who wants to try their first rye.

Mike
Rotgut

Unread postby independant » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:15 pm

gauze wrote:Wild Turkey Rare (gift set in glass fronted wooden box w/ 2 glasses, I'm a sucker for this kind of thing, I know a lot of you hate this kind of thing)

I don't think we hate these gift sets. In fact I look forward to them every year. I have yet to pick up the rare breed but it is on the list.
independant

Unread postby enzo » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:05 am

brought home 3 bottles of the Pappy 15.

I'm excited to taste this age and compare it to the 20 and 12.

It's so difficult to get this stuff here... I feel like I'm doing something illegal every time I score a bottle (and yes.. they limit you to one bottle per customer)
Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough.
enzo

Unread postby gauze » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:27 am

enzo wrote:brought home 3 bottles of the Pappy 15.

I'm excited to taste this age and compare it to the 20 and 12.

It's so difficult to get this stuff here... I feel like I'm doing something illegal every time I score a bottle (and yes.. they limit you to one bottle per customer)

I haven't seen the 15 on a shelf yet, Julio's listed it on their site but it wasn't there when I went (just 23 year).

I know 2 places with 20 year (I'm not buying it, gonna hold off so I can get it as an xmas gift, I'm hard to shop for I'm told since I just buy anything I want, so I am showing some restraint so someone can get me a gift I actually want)
gauze

Unread postby enzo » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:54 pm

I've accepted that I have a problem... not a drinking problem, but a buying whiskey problem...

It's becoming a bit of a quest that must be fulfilled... I'll be picking up the 23 yr on Monday... which leaves the Family Reserve Rye and the 10yr 107. Neither of which I've ever seen anywhere.

As for the WHY, I just love being able to taste and compare between the different whiskies... and share them with friends. Don't want to miss out on anything :)
Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough.
enzo

Unread postby helios » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:03 am

[color=#800080][color=#FF4000]I'm on a different peat beat here--I came back from New York WhiskeyFest and rushed out for Laphroaig 10 year. I loved the presentation from the Laphroaig reps at WhiskeyFest, and needed a peaty, with wisps of brine single malt for my bar. On Saturday yesterday, my lady and I first just let the aromas waft through our home, then sipped and smiled. A little goes and goes--in the afternoon we could still enjoy the incense of peat. It made us think of all those Celtic fires, still burning.

Bourbon is my heritage and we love our Blanton's, but I love this touch of Islay.

We all can love a dab of Scotch, right? We do not live by bourbon alone.

John in Annapolis
[/color][/color]
helios

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:12 pm

helios wrote:We all can love a dab of Scotch, right? We do not live by bourbon alone.

John in Annapolis

Not this dude. I don't like scotch. Just me I guess.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight