what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Unread postby DeanSheen » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:13 pm

I brought home 4 Centennials.

Why, because they are unobatnium and I like the smoothness, the maple start, the powdered sugar finish and the light mouth feel.
--- Robert in meatspace. (NE OH)
DeanSheen

Unread postby independant » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:43 am

mozilla wrote:
About the Old Taylor....Beam bought them in 1987. I have found ND juice in bottles dating up to 1991-1992. Look for the 86259 UPC code and the old style of label for the ND product.

I just picked up two 1989 bottles and wasn't worried a bit about them containing Beam juice.

I have a 89 bottle. I had 86 in my mind because of the proof I guess. I checked The upc when I was in the store thanks to my blackberry. :D
independant

Unread postby ggilbertva » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Yesterday I received a bottle of FRSB done by a bourbon group out on the west coast. The offer was made to join in on the fun so I put an order for a bottle. This is an OBSK recipe and as such is a high rye bourbon. The entry was sweet and then transitioned to a mild spice and nice wood balance on the finish. A very nice bourbon and now I wish I had another for the bunker.
Last edited by ggilbertva on Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ggilbertva

Unread postby sailor22 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:25 pm

I received a box from a friend containing 4 Old Weller Antiques Julios barrel pick, 2 4 Roses Barrel Proof Julios Barrel pick and 2 Jeffersons 17 I was in the group that picked the barrels and was curious if my memories of how they tasted were accurate.
Not very accurate at all it turns out. Both the 4R and OWA were better than I recalled then tasting last spring.
My previous tastes of Jeff17 didn't quite match up with this bottle but I may have been tasting from a different batch. This one is batch 2 and I lke it quite a lot and am glad I bought two.
sailor22

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:40 pm

ggilbertva wrote:Yesterday I received a bottle of FRSB done by a bourbon group out on the west coast. The offer was made to join in on the fun so I put an order for a bottle. This is an OBSK recipe and as such is a low rye bourbon. The entry was sweet and then transitioned to a mild spice and nice wood balance on the finish. A very nice bourbon and now I wish I had another for the bunker.

Got one of those coming myself. Can't wait to taste it.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby independant » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:03 pm

I picked up the new Wild Turkey tradition and a bottle of EWSB 00.
the WTT is great and I would rate it higher then the WTAS. We did a little blind tasting with WTT WTAS WTRB and WTKS.
Blind I picked out my favorites in this order WTT WTAS WTKS and WTRB
So I liked the Tradition more then the WTAS but was it worth 50 bucks more. Maybe.
I am going to start a new thread about the EWSB 00 because it is new to the market.
independant

Unread postby Don Galligan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:23 am

Cracked into the very young Rebel Yell last night. It was pretty good. I was surprised for a bottom shelf wheater it had great flavor, and a nice subtle finish like wheaters have, but drank more like a 90 proof product instead of the 80 proof that it is. I was impressed, and for $13 a bottle you really cant go wrong. Not a bad pour at all.
Don Galligan

Unread postby gauze » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:03 pm

Old Grand-Dad BiB.

why? I went to the super liquor mart next to the Harbor Freight cause I was going there to buy a bench grinder anyway, and I can't leave empty handed. Also OGD is on my short list of stuff to try. Expectations ... hm well it's 100 proof I expect it to be a strong flavorful drink.
First taste reminds me of Wild Turkey a bit, in that you know you are drinking bourbon. oops forgot to post this when I typed it, after following it with Wild Turkey Rye it seems a bit middle of the road in my current mindset, my how lovely WTR is!
gauze

Unread postby Ultra » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:06 pm

This week was a big buying week.

Woodford Reserve Master Collection Seasoned Oak - Rich, smooth, stays with you on the palate with a bakers chocolate and smoke action. Very nice. Advantages of old bourbons without the woodiness or muskiness. Darkest bourbon I have ever seen.

Elijah Craig 18 Single Barrel - Very mild for this age. Great price. Butterscotch on the nose with honey, heather, caramel, butterscotch and smoky oak notes on the finish. A good top shelf pour.

Jefferson's 17 yr old Presidential Reserve - I had the tiniest taste. Reserving it for tonight's highlight. The taste I had last night, after 3 other bourbons, all I'll say so far was that my first impression is that the Stitzel Weller rep is justified if this is any example. It tastes like they deserve all the credit they get.

Waiting for a Stagg I ordered to come into the local store....
Click the pic....... Name the car
Ultra

Unread postby Rotgut » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:10 am

What I bought: Elijah Craig 12 yr

Why / what I was expecting: I "happened" by a local store, "accidentally" went in, and the EC 12 was on sale. It practically threw itself into my arms. What could I do, really? I bought it because I remembered that it got generally good reviews, but I had no particular expectations except I thought I remembered reading that it gets a lot of flavor from the barrel.

I only had a chance to take a small sip (I was home by this time, not still at the store) and my first impression is that it's like Woodford Reserve on steroids. All that light, woody sort of flavor that WR has is intensified. It smelled sweet but the finish was barrel, barrel, barrel, char, char, char. I can't wait to sit down with it for a closer inspection. It seems like it'll be a good one for a cold winter night.

I also picked up a bottle of BT I found for a decent price. I've got one open at home and for a ~$20-ish bottle, I think it's good stuff. I think with its light, sweet flavor it's a good one to use to introduce non-bourbon drinkers to bourbon.

Mike
Rotgut

Unread postby enzo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:01 pm

Got a little carried away today... But I brought em' home... because I knew they wouldn't last too long out there...

Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough.
enzo

Unread postby independant » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:28 am

enzo wrote:Got a little carried away today... But I brought em' home...

If you need any help with storage let me know.
independant

Unread postby Rughi » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:08 am

ggilbertva wrote:Yesterday I received a bottle of FRSB done by a bourbon group out on the west coast. The offer was made to join in on the fun so I put an order for a bottle. This is an OBSK recipe and as such is a high rye bourbon. The entry was sweet and then transitioned to a mild spice and nice wood balance on the finish. A very nice bourbon and now I wish I had another for the bunker.

Thanks for your nice comments, Greg.

This is the East Bay Study Group's barrel strength selection we did together with Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley. As Greg and Joe said, it's the OBSK high rye/spicy yeast combination. This barrel happened to come out at 120 proof and it's 10 1/2 years of mellow moment-making bourbon. It's available now at the store.

Our goal for the Four Roses Barrel Strength is to do a barrel of each of the Four Roses mashbill/yeast combinations. We'll start the selection process for the second barrel before too long, depending on how quickly the retail portion is sold off.

Roger
Rughi

Unread postby enzo » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:21 am

independant wrote:
enzo wrote:Got a little carried away today... But I brought em' home...

If you need any help with storage let me know.

I won't need any storage help... Just help with the drinking.
Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough.
enzo

Unread postby silverfish » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:49 pm

OWA 7/107 $39./1.75 I grab one every time I
hit the store and now have 3 handles in the bunker.

EWSB $27./750ml Barrel 328, Bottled 4-16-09
nuff said! Will probably grab another before opening
this one.

Sailor Jerry $20./liter - I enjoy a nice spiced rum
and after reading about SJ at SB, thought I'd try it.
John Q.
Visit the Silverfish Gallery!
silverfish

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight