what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Unread postby Rotgut » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:28 pm

What I brought home: Fighting Cock

Why:
- I'm working my way along the bottom shelves
- I read it started as a competitor to WT and I like WT.
- it's got higher rye, and I like the rye-heavy stuff I've tried so far. Actually, I like almost everything I've tried so far.
- I hope that's not bad.
- it was in a few peoples' lists of good, budget bourbon
- I haven't seen it around my area, I was a little out of my normal area, saw a store, went in, they had it
- C'mon! It's called "Fighting Cock!"

Mike
Rotgut

Unread postby gauze » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:33 am

1L Old Heaven Hill Very Rare Old (86 proof) w/ 8 Year age statement. From what I can tell it was bottled in week 35 of 2005 making this 4 years on the shelf or so. The $11.99 price tag was covering up another one, and a flashlight behind the bottle shows it was $10.99 then they raised the price ... mislabel when it first hit the shelf or did they actually reprice it higher after it sat unsold? I find the 2nd scenario amusing for some reason.

Why? Picked up based on mozilla's mention to try other 7-Year+ Heaven Hill products due to my dislike of Elijah Craig 12 year. gonna pour one now ... forget expectations!

Does anyone know about mashbills in use at Heaven Hill because this is very similar to the bottle of Elijah Craig I have, which if my math isn't wrong here means this 8 year sitting on the shelf for 4 years and my current bottle of 12 year could have been distilled in the same time frame.
gauze

Unread postby Rotgut » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:26 am

mozilla wrote:I don't believe that FC is a high rye bourbon since, Heaven Hill only has one ryed bourbon recipe.

Also, Fighting Cock was made at the Boulevard Distillery(Wild Turkey) when it was owned by JTS Brown and Sons. I don't know if it was a competator...I believe they would have been made at the same place...at the sametime. Until, JTS Brown sold the distillery.

OK, thanks for setting me straight.

All the FC reviews here mention rye flavor, kick, etc. And on the review page, it says, "Bottling Info They say on their site, contains rye instead of wheat for an extra 'kick'. "

I guess I confused and / or assumed the rye flavor with a high-rye mashbill. So many things to keep straight!

Bottom line – I wanted to try it. I did. I like the rye stuff and this one's go it. I likes it.

I'll have to see where I read the competitor thing.

Mike
Rotgut

Unread postby p_elliott » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:21 am

mozilla wrote:I don't believe that FC is a high rye bourbon since, Heaven Hill only has one ryed bourbon recipe.

Also, Fighting Cock was made at the Boulevard Distillery(Wild Turkey) when it was owned by JTS Brown and Sons. I don't know if it was a competator...I believe they would have been made at the same place...at the sametime. Until, JTS Brown sold the distillery.

I could be wrong Jeff but I think I would differ with you on this, I have no way to back this up other than taste but it taste like a high rye.
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby p_elliott » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:47 am

I emailed them lets see if they give us an answer
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby Don Galligan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:07 pm

I just picked up a fifth of Rebel Yell, a fifth of Ancient Age 10 Star 90 Proof, and a fifth of Wrathens Single Barrel, I think that was 94.something proof. I got the Rebel Yell, because I am looking into wheaters like never before. The wheat juice selection in Idaho is poor, so I am trying to make my way around to all of them. This was the last one available in my local shop that I haven't already tried. I got the Ancient Age ten Star because it was 90 proof, and the regular was only 80 proof. No BIB available here. It was only $14.95 so I'm hoping it is a bottom shelf find! I'll find out later. Finally I picked up the wrathens because I was looking to try a single barrel bourbon. I haven't had one yet, and this was on sale for $26.95. All the prices are going up. Since I started building my bunker I would say on average all priced have increased about 25%. I had a choice for the single barrel juice between Wrathens, Evan Williams Single Barrel, and Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 year old, or Henry McKenna. I chose the wrathens because it was on sale, and All the others were at their regular price. I figure I can pick them up later for their regular price, and they might be on sale later! If some of you could weigh in about my choices that would be great. Not sure I made the right call on everything.

By the way I just put a review up on this site about the Old Fitzgeralds 1849 that Mike sent me. It was great. I also posted a little more substantial review on my web site if you care to look. It is in my wheat series "Into the Wheat Pt. 4".

-Don
Don Galligan

Unread postby PaulO » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:00 pm

I like Wathens, but it costs around $40 by me. I think you got a pretty good deal. Eagle Rare is a nice low rye whiskey. I can only find the 80 proof Ancient Age in Indiana. It's ok, but the higher proof juice is better.
PaulO

Unread postby Don Galligan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:24 pm

FYI, I picked up the Rebel Yell for $13.95. I figured I have had some pretty good wheaters as I have been exploring them, and I thought I should pay the other end of the spectrum its due as well. It is very light Jeff. Almost a pale yellow color. Probably not going to be too excited about it, but I thought it might be ok for vatting later.

-Don
Don Galligan

Unread postby Don Galligan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:32 pm

mozilla wrote:
Don Galligan wrote:FYI, I picked up the Rebel Yell for $13.95. I figured I have had some pretty good wheaters as I have been exploring them, and I thought I should pay the other end of the spectrum its due as well. It is very light Jeff. Almost a pale yellow color. Probably not going to be too excited about it, but I thought it might be ok for vatting later.

-Don

When I first noticed the super light color in the new RY bottles...I actually called Luxco and thought that they had a bad batch. It turnes out that they were using the better juice for their newest label...RY reserve. And have purchased some younger juice for the regular RY label.

How young is it? It reminds me of Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey that is aged for one month! I assume it has to be at least 4 years or they would have to state it on the bottle. Probably not much more though.
Don Galligan

Unread postby Don Galligan » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:50 am

Who makes the Rebel Yell Whiskey?
Don Galligan

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:00 pm

Heaven Hill at the Bernheim distillery.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby Don Galligan » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:11 pm

I guess that makes me feel a little better about my purchase. I have yet to dislike a HH whiskey. Who knows, maybe this will be the first.
Don Galligan

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:40 pm

You CAN say it's made at Bernheim. I was just down there last week and they were distilling it that day. Also, they say they don't bottle anything less than five years old.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby independant » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:30 pm

So today I got my stash from Florida. I had made a few trips down there to visit a buddy stationed in Pensacola and he just brought me all I bought while I was down there.
2 bottles of OCPR 13yo
2 bottles of OC Classic 90 12yo
2 bottles of Virgin 101 7yo
1 bottle of Lot B
1 bottle of WLW 08
1 bottle of Old Taylor 86 prrof with an 86 on the bottom
1 bottle of WT American Spirit
1 bottle of OFBB 2005

I got the Old charters because I have never heard anything but great things on these two and they are labels no longer made at the present.

The Virgin 101 was around 11.00 and I am always willing to take a chance on a 7 year old 101 proof at that price point. I have been told that this is the same juice that is in Old Ezra 101 but am not sure that's currect.

The Lot B is a favorate in the wheaters for me and I don't see it around here much.

The BTAC Weller is a great bourbon and there is always room in the bunker for one.

I got the OT to do a comparison. I Have a OT from 83 before Beam bought the label and I plan on comparing these pre and post Beam OTs.

The WT American Spirit was a inpulse buy. I love WT and wanted to see what a BIB 15yo tasted like.

I have only had the OFBB 08 and really liked it so in finding a 05 I had to see what the older years were like.
independant

Unread postby RobotAZ » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:35 pm

Just brought home a bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve "Lot B" and all I can say is, wow! I've always been a sucker for the good stuff so I decided that I'd go another bump up. I know there are even better ones out there, but I have noticed a huge jump up from Eagle Rare to the VWSR. Now when I read people practically falling over themselves describing the many smells and qualities of high quality bourbons I understand why. This bourbon is the finest alcohol I've ever had. Shows what I know, but I can still tell that it is really good stuff. Anyway...it just keeps getting better. Next, I'm going to get a Weller, just out of curiosity. Not sure which one yet though.

United we stand, divided we fall.

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight