what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Unread postby mcer » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:06 pm

Yes it is 90 proof. I thought they picked out the barrel from the distillery, but the BT folks just bring some options for them to choose from.

DrinkupNY, Binny's and prob many folks do the same. I wonder how dif they are.

Rene'
mcer

Unread postby Rotgut » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:56 am

What I brought home: Death’s Door Whiskey.

Why: Lotsa reasons. Death’s Door seems like a cool company (if you can believe their marketing) and they’re about as local a whiskey distiller as I’ll probably get. They’re newer, and I’ll be happy to do what I can to support a new distiller. I grew up in Wisconsin, too, so it’s a chance to support the hometown boys. Those are the peripheral reasons. Whiskeywise, I wanted to try a very young whiskey (it’s aged, but less than 72 hours) so this bottle worked that way, too.

I also picked up a bottle of their gin.

=====

What: Eagle Rare

Why: I’ve wanted to try it, finally found a place that had it for a decent price.

Mike
Rotgut

Unread postby vince » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:11 pm

I went in a different direction this week and picked up some artisan distiller's Whiskies. I purchased Wasmunds Single Malt Whisky from SperryVille, VA and Stranahans from Colorado. I have not tried to Stranahans yet (I plan on it tonight). I have had several drams of the Wasmunds and think it is an exceptional whisky. He malts his barley with applewood. The front part of the taste profile reminds me of a bourbon and the finish is very much like a scotch. Very different, extremely interesting and absolutely tasty!!
vince

Unread postby bourbonMikey » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:14 pm

This week I got lucky, I went into my local abc store to check if any weller 12yr is ever gonna be put back on the shelves but found a lone bottle of WTAS for $52! I was so suprise to see that bottle at an abc so I had to ask where it came from. The manager said it was tucked under the counter for years. I just had to bring it home to try for that price. As soon as I got home I opened this bottle with my girl and pour us an once to sip on. On the first sip I was very impressed, it was very smooth for a wild turkey product. I was expecting a spicy, peppery kick to it but found a nice dry oakyness but not to dry and left your mouth watering for more. The finish is just awesome. We are gonna have to revisit this bottle again very shortly. I'm so glad that I have another one tucked away in the bunker.....I also just added a WT Traditions because the WTAS was so good and I heard it was just as good or if not better.
MIKE
bourbonMikey

Unread postby Clayton » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:30 am

It's been a big week in Bourbon for this Aussie battler!
I bought 2 bottles of PVW 23 yo at a price you could buy 3 or 4 for in the US ..
But even better I bought an Old Grand Dad BIB and a Four Roses Single Barrel from England over the net, when the whole two bottles got here Australia Post reported the package to our customs officials and I got to pay another 70 Aussie dollars! (so lucky) so those two bottle cost basically $150 US!!! Bloody hell!
Australian government takes the piss!
On a brighter note I swapped a Barossa Shiraz I got free for a bottle of BT so I'm wrapped with that little win!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Dorothy Parker
Clayton

Unread postby gauze » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:32 pm

I stopped at this out of the way store to get a new 4 Roses Small Batch and they raised the price $3 so I didn't get it, then I spotted some Pappy SR 15 year on the shelf at $55 each I grabbed 2 as this juice is hen's teeth in my travels, totally psyched!
gauze

Unread postby PaulO » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:49 am

Went to Bloomington yesterday. On my way out of town I stopped to pick up a few of the JBB 50ml bottles on sale for $.99. What did I find but three bottles of Elmer T. Lee 90th birthday bourbon. I left one on the shelf, being the nice guy that I am. So I picked up two. That means I feel ok about opening one later. :drunken: And to think I almost drove srtaight home without stopping. I had figured the ETL 90th birthday bottles were all gone right after they hit the shelf monthes ago, and I had missed out.
PaulO

Unread postby sailor22 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:03 am

I brought home a Saz 18 from the fall of '06. I am partial to older Ryes that can balance the oak and rye into a interesting pour and the '06 Saz is one of my favorites for that. I was surprised to find a couple still on the shelf and couldn't resist getting one.
sailor22

Unread postby gauze » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:08 pm

Today is my birthday and my girlfriend bought me a bottle of barrel strength parker's but since I already had a bottle we went back and returned it and I got 2 bottles with the money:

4 Roses Single-Barrel
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit
gauze

Unread postby vince » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:51 pm

This past weekend I purchased the 2010 Old Forester Birthday bourbon, the Four Roses limited release barrel strength small batch (taking the place of the Mariage), WL Weller 12 year Old, Willets 8 year old selected by liquor world in Bardstown, KY and Parkers Heritage Wheated bourbon. I love the birthday bourbon, was very disappointed in the Willets, thought the WL Weller 12 year old was good but I prefer the OWA 107. I have not tried to Parkers or the Four Roses Small Batch yet
vince

Unread postby howardf » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:18 pm

Nothing for me this week, I blew my load on Parker's 3rd last weekend. I'm incredibly curious about the Wheated and the new Four Roses Small Batch once vince gets around to trying them. I'll be drinking my Four Roses 2010 Barrel Strength while I wait.
howardf

Unread postby Birdo » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:22 pm

As a newbie, I brought home 5-50ml to get further along the learning curve. Includes: Early Times, Jim Beam Black 8 y/o, Old Granddad, Evan Williams and Wild Turkey. Liked them all except ET which lacked flavor.
Birdo

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:32 pm

Birdo wrote: Liked them all except ET which lacked flavor.

You're learning quite nicely.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby gauze » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:49 pm

my weekend trip to Chicago included a side trip to Binny's which turned up:
W.L. Weller 12 year Old (grabbed 2)

also:
Woodford Reserve (gift from a friend who says she can't drink whiskey anymore)
gauze

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:32 pm

I'm visiting my daughter and son-in-law in Alabama. We went hunting over in Pensacola and found some handles of Old Charter 12 for 24.99. A real find.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight