what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Unread postby Tannahill7 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:12 pm

I know this site offers quality dependent posts and extra data, is there any other web site which provides these kinds of data in quality?
Tannahill7

Unread postby jwacky » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:32 pm

I picked up a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel 2012... couldn't resist when I saw the bottling date of 8-8-2012, the day my daughter was born.
jwacky

Unread postby gauze » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:52 pm

Fighting Cock, 1L in honor of our Birdo since he has talked about it many times and I have not had it and I am guessing from the name is a Wild Turkey knock-off (not hatin')
gauze

Unread postby gauze » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:08 pm

"Old Heaven Hill Very Rare Old" 8 year, 1.75L. $18. I was looking to replace the low end stuff I have since I wiped it all out and I saw it after seeing it was $1 more than OGDbib. I believe it was Bourbon Joe who said they don't make this anymore? It was slightly dusty.
gauze

Unread postby GibsonES350T » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:18 am

"Russell Reserve 10 Year Old". First time my regular store stocked it, so I tried it. I really like it.

My bourbon experience so far has been: Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, Baker's, 1792, Bulleit, Knob Creek, Wild Turkey 101, Jim Beam, Rowan's Creek, Eagle Rare 10, W.L. Weller 12, Elmer T. Lee, Four Roses Yellow and Small Batch, Blanton's, Johnny Drumm, Old Forester, and a few others.

I believe Russell Reserve might be in my Top 5.
GibsonES350T

Unread postby Borchard » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Weller's Special Reserve. Every time I go to the pub lately, I end up ordering one. So I thought, "Why not have it haome for MUCH less?"
“Sure I eat what I advertise. Sure I eat Wheaties for breakfast. A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat.” Dizzy Dean
Borchard

Unread postby gauze » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Evan Williams Single Barrel, 1994->2003 edition. Found a lone carton (the old cardboard boxes they use to come in) on a shelf it was $38 but whatever $7 more for something that's been on a shelf for almost 10 years.
gauze

Unread postby Squire » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:05 pm

A bottle of Mellow Corn 100 proof BIB corn whisky, a remarkable value for $9.00. A very good cocktail whisky as well.
Squire

Unread postby gauze » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:53 pm

Dickle Rye (it's a rye and it was $7 cheaper than the 2 other stores I've seen it at, so I HAD TO)
Jim Beam Distillers Series (close out at $13)
gauze

Unread postby EllenJ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:34 pm

gauze wrote:Dickle Rye (it's a rye and it was $7 cheaper than the 2 other stores I've seen it at, so I HAD TO)
Jim Beam Distillers Series (close out at $13)

Gauze, I'm up to my eyeballs in rye, especially LDI/MGP rye. I love 'em all, but is there anything about Dickel's version that would entice me to buy a bottle? I mean, Dickel whisky itself, which they make in Cascade Hollow, is one of my favorite pours, and has a flavor not found in ANY other whiskey, bourbon or otherwise. Is there any of that in the rye?
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:05 pm

John,
You might want to try the Dickel Rye. I think it tastes a little different than LDI. Maybe due to the Maple Charcoal filtering.I like it.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:27 pm

I agree with Joe but also must say there is no Dickel taste (that I can detect) in the new rye, in particular, the "vitamins" taste many old hands get from Dickel is not evident in the rye.

But the maple charcoal treatment does seem to give it a certain something, I think a fullness and sweetness. It tastes like LDI rye with something "different".

In LDI rye, I get a characteristic "Blue Tide" (detergent) smell and taste, a fresh sea breeze effect to use another metaphor. This may come from the very high rye content, I'm not sure.

I get a similar taste in Bulleit, Willett's, Templeton, and numerous other ryes out there. I feel the taste would be better with more barrel aging than is seemingly disclosed in these examples.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Birdo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:40 am

gauze wrote:Fighting Cock, 1L in honor of our Birdo since he has talked about it many times and I have not had it and I am guessing from the name is a Wild Turkey knock-off (not hatin')

Let me know what you thought. I grabbed a bottle of Knob Creek at Sams Club, but poured a wild turkey 101 for the basketball game. The Knob Creek is near the top of my price range.
Birdo

Unread postby gauze » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:37 pm

J I found the dickel more spicy than for example Bulliet Rye, it's good sipping stuff. $28 at every store here except that one though ...

birdo: I am a fan! I killed a good 750m of the 1000 of it, it's a very good classic bourbon to this guy's mouth. Good deal too.

1.75L Larceny Bourbon w/ $20 rebate. bam, crossed the border to find a bottle of this stuff, not pouring tonight it's a bit late and I gotta work tomorrow. Anyone know the age on this or is it a new flavor profile of Old Fitzgerald basically?
gauze

Unread postby EllenJ » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:48 pm

gillmang wrote:... I get a similar taste in Bulleit, Willett's, Templeton, and numerous other ryes out there. I feel the taste would be better with more barrel aging than is seemingly disclosed in these examples.

I believe Drew has home-distilled rye whiskey aging, but we won't get to taste that until he believes it's old enough. AFAIK, all of those ryes (and more) are LDI/MGP.

I'm definitely gonna pick up a bottle of Dickel Rye next time I see one, though.

One example of Indiana rye that I can attest to as being quite different from the others is Pepper 1776, which brings me closer to the OLD-style Old Overholt and other Pennsylvania ryes than anything else you can get around here (until Dad's Hat gets wider distribution, at least).
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight