what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Unread postby Greg Adams » Sat May 14, 2011 10:57 pm

This week I had a case of AAA 10 year old delivered to the door. Can't get it in New Mexico so I have to order it. On the 24th I have to travel to Minnesota for my son's graduation. I will stock up on two others I can't get: Buffalo Trace and Four Roses. These are some of my favorite daily pours so it will save shipping costs.
Greg Adams

Unread postby BourbonKiller » Sat May 28, 2011 12:41 am

vince wrote:
BourbonKiller wrote:Wild Turkey American Spirit - Just wanted to try it.

Bourbon Killer, i would love some feedback on your opinion of this Bourbon. I can get a bottle but have been putting it off. I bought two bottles of the Tradition which I absolutely love. Looking forward to your feedback (or to anyone else's who has tried this)

Vince,

I really wanted to love this Bourbon as Hansell gave it a whopping 94 rating. I find the nose of the Bourbon reminds me a lot of a Macallan sherry finished scotch malt. I find the toffee and vanilla flavors to be too delicate and difficult to pull out, a hint of floral and a tinge of old school medicinal notes. The finish is a bit peppery and intense but short and when it comes erradicating any of the delicate flavors that are in the whiskey it is unwelcome. The only thing I can think is maybe I got a poor example to measure this whiskey on, but at the asking price it should be extraordinary and fabulous.

Honestly if this whisky was available to me at 1/3 of the price paid I think I would pass.

My final verdict on Wild Turkey American Spirit would be spend your hard earned money on something else as this Turkey should be left to die a lonely death on the shelf getting dusty.
BourbonKiller

Unread postby vince » Sat May 28, 2011 3:44 pm

BourbonKiller wrote:
vince wrote:
BourbonKiller wrote:Wild Turkey American Spirit - Just wanted to try it.

Bourbon Killer, i would love some feedback on your opinion of this Bourbon. I can get a bottle but have been putting it off. I bought two bottles of the Tradition which I absolutely love. Looking forward to your feedback (or to anyone else's who has tried this)

Vince,

I really wanted to love this Bourbon as Hansell gave it a whopping 94 rating. I find the nose of the Bourbon reminds me a lot of a Macallan sherry finished scotch malt. I find the toffee and vanilla flavors to be too delicate and difficult to pull out, a hint of floral and a tinge of old school medicinal notes. The finish is a bit peppery and intense but short and when it comes erradicating any of the delicate flavors that are in the whiskey it is unwelcome. The only thing I can think is maybe I got a poor example to measure this whiskey on, but at the asking price it should be extraordinary and fabulous.

Honestly if this whisky was available to me at 1/3 of the price paid I think I would pass.

My final verdict on Wild Turkey American Spirit would be spend your hard earned money on something else as this Turkey should be left to die a lonely death on the shelf getting dusty.

Thanks Bourbon Killer. You just saved me $85.
vince

Unread postby Greg Adams » Tue May 31, 2011 12:02 am

I just returned from a trip to Minnesota. Before I left I stocked up on bourbon that I have to order in Southeast New Mexico:

Four Roses Yellow Label: 6 bottles
Four Roses Single Barrel: 6 bottles
Four Roses Small Batch: 6 bottles
Eagle Rare: case
Old Charter 10 year old: case
Old Fitz BIB: 2- liter bottles
Ancient Age: 2- liter bottles
Buffalo Trace: case

The old truck was loaded down but I'm set for a while. :D
Greg Adams

Unread postby gauze » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:12 pm

little trip through new hampshire to get some deals
Old Grand Dad BIB $15
Bulleit Rye $24
gauze

Unread postby schmluss » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:27 pm

Got some Old Grand Dad 114 and a bottle of Four Roses, "yellow" label. OGD114 is some strong tasting stuff! Really liked it. Four Roses too watered down at 80 proof. Made a good julep though.
schmluss

Unread postby Greg Adams » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:01 pm

I liked the bottle of Old Fitz BIB I picked up in Minnesota so I ordered a case. It will be delivered Friday. Don't know where I am going to put it as my bunker is full. I guess I will have to drink more to open up space. :D
Greg Adams

Unread postby vince » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:35 am

Getting a couple bottles of the Four Roses Limited Release Single Barrel today. Really looking forward to it, have tried it at our Bourbon Society Meeting and it was spectacular!
vince

Unread postby PaulO » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:17 am

I made a trip to KY and found: Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 year, Bulleit Rye, Sazerac Rye, Barton B.I.B. 6 year. I also picked up some beer: Balentine Ale, Little Kings, Genesee Cream Ale, and the newest incarnation of Falls City. Most of this I can't get in Indiana. :geek:
PaulO

Unread postby howardf » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:45 pm

I picked up a bottle of the 2011 Four Roses Single Barrel. Had a bank error in my favor and got the bottle at last year's price! I passed up the Buffalo Trace single oak thingy, but being the adventurer I am, it took some willpower to stay true to my word. My local is now carrying the High West line, so I'll be getting into some of that eventually. I also picked up a bottle of EWSB 2010 last week, so I have some new bottles to savor for a while.
howardf

Unread postby emr454 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:50 am

I brought home a bottle of McKenzie rye, Mellow Corn, and Fighting Cock 103.

Eric
emr454

Unread postby jcg9779 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:36 am

I've purchased a few noteworthy things over the past month:

1 WTKS Pewter top (1994)
2 WTKS dark brown smooth top (2002)
1 OGD Bicentennial decanter (1976)
1 Sazerac Rye
2 ND OT 6/86 750ml and 375ml bottles (1988)
1 Vintage Bourbon
1 14 y/o Willett (Pre-fire HH)
1 WT Tradition
1 ND OGD BIB 1.75L (1991)
1 Rebel Yell 90 proof from SW 1.75L (1989)
1 WT 86.8 1.75ml
2 FC 8yr 1L (1989)
2 WSR Louisville 375ml
2 FR Mariage 2009
2 PHC 2010
1 PHC Golden Anniversary
Last edited by jcg9779 on Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jack

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.
-Ben Hogan
jcg9779

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:30 pm

Nice array.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Greg Adams » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:14 pm

This week had to restock some bottles that I have finished so I picked up a Bulleit Rye, Wild Turkey 101, and Eagle rare 10 y/o.
Greg Adams

Unread postby RobotAZ » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:07 pm

I have been so busy that I didn't get to plan a Labor Day break, so I bought a bottle of Jefferson's Presidential and the regular Jefferson's just to compare. This was my third JPS bottle, all 17 year, and my first Jefferson's. Oddly, I liked the Jefferson's so much that I sort of lost interest in the JPS. It's obviously very good, but it has a sweet, medicine-like aftertaste that just doesn't suit me well. It's good enough to really point out the corn in the Jefferson's though so I'll give it a nod there. It reminds me of Elijah. Elijah tastes older than most, but it tastes like KT that's aged (Wathen's?) in my opinion. Something just seems cheap, totally unlike Van Winkle 12 year. The JPS has this really old, but kinda cheap taste to me. It's not in the same galaxy as even the PVW 15 year. Is it my head telling me "17 year Old Fitzgerald"? Anyway, I like the regular Jefferson's. It was $26 on sale at Kroger and worth every dollar in my opinion. I swear it taste like a Heaven Hill product to me. I guess it could be.

I've also been really enjoying a private selection of Evan Williams Single Barrel bottled for Liquor Barn. I like the dry, airy taste a lot. It's a real sleeper around here in Lexington. Nobody drinks it. It's a really subtle bourbon and would be a great one to introduce someone to who doesn't know bourbon. Kinda like Eagle Rare.

United we stand, divided we fall.

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight