what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Unread postby p_elliott » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:16 am

I love OC 12 Classic 90 I only have a small amount left in my bottle. Would love to find some more of it. They should have neve quit making it. I keep nosing around I'll find some more.
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby Rotgut » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:56 pm

Rotgut wrote:I got me some Buffalo Trace Single Barrel.

Mike

I got another Buffalo Trace Single Barrel from a different store. They both taste the same to me so I'm guessing that even though they're from different stores, they get their "specially selected" bottles from the same distributor.

I really like this version of BT so I'm bunkering a couple.

Mike
Rotgut

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:59 pm

Picked up a bottle of the 2010 release of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon to toast Jesus on his birthday. My birthday is just ten days later. I hope I can save a glass or two for me. Bottles of Birthday Bourbon become empty so very quickly.

Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby gauze » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:44 pm

rittenhaus rye bib (to replace the last one I finished)
Very Old Barton 86 proof (read some good reviews on it here and it was $11 so figured I'd give it a go)
gauze

Unread postby GrandePdre » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:07 pm

I brought home Pappy 20-year because I actully came across a bottle by coincidence, and Elmer T Lee.
GrandePdre

Unread postby gauze » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:43 am

GrandePdre wrote:I brought home Pappy 20-year because I actully came across a bottle by coincidence

How rare is this out there? I know at least 4 places that almost always have it on the shelf. My source for 15 year dried up though, ugh. (have 2 in the bunker though)
gauze

Unread postby vince » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:58 am

The Pappy 20 year old is easier for me to get than the 15 year old. Every liquor store in my town carries the 20 only one carries the 15. the only get one or two bottles and its off the shelf within 24 hours. fortunately my timing has been good lately and I have 5 in my bunker.

I got a Willets 17 year old barrel strength bourbon for christmas. Cant wait to open this up. Sipped on William Larue Weller (2009 release) last night along with an 8 year old Willets barrel strength. Very enjoyable way to spend Christmas!!
vince

Unread postby Birdo » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:36 am

Knob Creek and NyQuil. Unfornuately, I could only enjoy the NyQuil. Maybe th KC will be enjoyed for New Years.
Birdo

Unread postby stresssolutions » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:06 pm

I got a bottle of Old Forester 2009 Birthday for Christmas, also received an "official whisky glass". It's very nice bourbon!
Living life one day at a time...
Mick
stresssolutions

Unread postby gauze » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:30 pm

Jim Beam Black w/ new "Double Aged" label + a Flask. why? hunting for xmas left over gift sets and I ran across this. I was really looking for some more glasses for drinking whiskey out of but for $14.98 I couldn't pass this up.
gauze

Unread postby BourbonDave » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Picked up an ETL and FRSmB. Love the ETL, just have not visited the FRSmB in quite a while. Not bad for $23.
BourbonDave

Unread postby Magnaman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:52 am

:D My daughter just got back from the good old USA and filled my shopping list 1 750 mil bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 15 year old 107 proof ,unobtanium here in Australia, had to get it on ebay in the USA, 1 750 mil bottle Wild Turkey Tradition 14 year old, with the copper base on the bottle and 1 750 mil bottle of Elijah Caig 12year old, looking forward to a little sippin tonite....y'all.. :wink:
Difference is why we are Unique
Magnaman

Unread postby Birdo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:08 am

I probably won't open it tonight, but the new bottle is a big 1.75 litre of Fighting Cock I bought at Liquor Barn for $31.49. Big flavor at a good price, this stuff is the way I like it. This is my 1st 1.75 l. The 750ml just don't last very long, after 4-5 good pours, your nearly out and back in the market for another bottle. I'll bet the 1.75 is good for 15 nice pours and should last a 2-3 months. I think FC is an acceptable substitute for Knob Creek, but I keep KC on hand for guest that drink bourbon, and special occasions. Fighting Cock isn't Knob Creek, but it's pretty darn good.
Birdo

Unread postby Dana » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:04 pm

Went shoppin while I was in Chicgoland, found a honey hole called "Kenwood" liquors. Ended up buying three, 1.75 jugs of Knob Creek @ 50.99 ea. and three, 750ml of Basil Hayden's (for the wife) @ $29.99.
Dana

Unread postby gman58 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:35 am

Well tonight I picked up 2 bottles; Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel and Old Weller Antique 107. As I write this I'm sampling the Elmer T. Lee and it is very nice. Very aromatic and with a great flavor; slightly sweet and with some great background flavors.

I live in Columbus, OH. My wife and I both had today off work because of Presidents' Day (a first for us). I agreed to take her to Cincinnati and spend the day with her shopping. My 'reward' for going was talking her into driving across the river into Kentucky to go to a liquor store. I told her I wanted to see what was available that we can't get in Ohio.

We went to a place called the Party Source. It was a great place with a large selection of about every liquor that I could tell. The bourbon selection was large. I was actually a little overwhelmed. My idea was correct, there were many bottles we don't have in OH at our liquor store. I saw VOB, Willets, Hancock, Whiskey River, Henry McKenna.... I don't know what all.

I had about $50 with me and I was able to get these two bottles for that. I looked at several single barrel, cask strength bottles but any one of those would have taken all my money. In general, all the prices looked cheaper than those at home. Some by several dollars. I could go on but it's time to sign off. In addition to getting at least one great new bottle (I'll try the Old Weller tomorrow) I learned a great new place to shop when I get the chance to splurge.
Be Spirited Today
gman58

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight