what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Unread postby gman58 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:25 pm

This week I bought Evan Williams Single Barrel and Old Forrester (one middle shelf, one lower shelf).

I bought the Evan Williams for 2 reasons: 1, I have some Evan Williams Black Label and wanted to try their higher-end product. 2, quite some time ago, someone gave me a taste of it and I wanted to see how well I remembered it.

I bought the Old Forrester because a couple weeks ago I ordered some in a tavern but never got to taste it! Their bottle had some black junk floating around in it so they didn't want to serve it. Then, it turned out to be the only bottle they had.

I've tried both over the past couple nights and they are both enjoyable. I'll give each a few more tastes and decide how often each will get poured.
George
Be Spirited Today
gman58

Unread postby GrandePdre » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:24 am

2 this week:

-- 1792. Under $20 for a 750 ml, it seemed like a solid bargain, as I've tried it before and found it smooth to taste.

-- Jefferson's Reserve Presidential Select 17-yr old. The store had it at a manager's special, so my wife convinced me to buy it at $75 for the 750 ml bottle. Excellent first tasting. I look forward to sampling it again.
GrandePdre

Unread postby gauze » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:24 am

Saz 18 BTAC 2010

probably the only bottle of BTAC I'm gonna find this year, :(
gauze

Unread postby gauze » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:39 pm

old forester birthday bourbon 2009, after reading some of Mike raves about it I had to buy it when I saw it. Also picked up another OF 75th anniversary of Repeal of Prohibition pack since the first bottle I had was pretty great after it opened up a bit.
gauze

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:45 am

I bought a $6.59 bottle of Old Crow (375 ml). I know it's not looked upon very favorably by many here, but I wanted to know how it was and someone had sent a sample of OCR and wanted the comparison. Also liked that it was in a glass bottle, not plastic.

It's not terrible, actually just a very simple whiskey. A bit light on the flavor, but decent. Corn, hints of oak, no harsh tannins. Simple but not bad.
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Unread postby howardf » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:32 am

I lucked upon a cache of BTAC yesterday and picked up a Sazerac 18. I had a couple pours last night, and I'm in love.
howardf

Unread postby GrandePdre » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:25 am

Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit.
GrandePdre

Unread postby Rotgut » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:03 pm

I got me some Buffalo Trace Single Barrel.

Mike
Rotgut

Unread postby stresssolutions » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:10 pm

Old Granddad BIB and Johnny Drum, green labled. It is apparently the store manager's favorite everyday pour, and I like it too.
Living life one day at a time...
Mick
stresssolutions

Unread postby Magnaman » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:24 am

I got a bottle of Buffalo Trace 700ml $59.95, I'm sipping it now, also Baker's 750ml $79.99 & WT 12 year old 700ml $59.90 Bargin price here
Tax on alcohol is high here in Australia. WT was a bargin and worth a try, had to try the other 2, very different animals indeed.
Difference is why we are Unique
Magnaman

Unread postby p_elliott » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:19 am

Magnaman wrote:I got a bottle of Buffalo Trace 700ml $59.95, I'm sipping it now, also Baker's 750ml $79.99 & WT 12 year old 700ml $59.90 Bargin price here
Tax on alcohol is high here in Australia. WT was a bargin and worth a try, had to try the other 2, very different animals indeed.

Welcome to the site hope you enjoy it. We have several people from Australia on here. You aussies get screwed on what you have to pay for bourbon then JB come along and gives it to you again by cutting the proof.
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby Dana » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:13 pm

I am new to the wonderful world of Bourbon, I’ve made my introductions in the welcome wagon forum.

I am currently consuming large quantities of Basil Hayden’s while sampling all the other wonderful variations of the fine bourbon spirit.

Last week, on the recommendations of friends (forum friends included) I bought – Wild Turkey 101, Old Charter 12 and OGD BIB, of which, I like the Old Charter 12 best of these three.

Tomorrow, I’m going to round up Knob Creek, Elijah Craig 12, Blanton’s 93 and Jim Beam Black and spend the Christmas holidays in a nice bourbon haze.

I’ve asked for several brands of bourbon as Christmas gifts, I hope someone will actually buy me a Pappy Van Winkle 20 bottle – it’s on my list!

Cheers to all in this season of joy!
Dana

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:38 am

Dana wrote:Last week, on the recommendations of friends (forum friends included) I bought – Wild Turkey 101, Old Charter 12 and OGD BIB, of which, I like the Old Charter 12 best of these three.

Where are you finding Old Charter 12?
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Dana » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:40 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:
Dana wrote:Last week, on the recommendations of friends (forum friends included) I bought – Wild Turkey 101, Old Charter 12 and OGD BIB, of which, I like the Old Charter 12 best of these three.

Where are you finding Old Charter 12?
Joe

I was just made aware that Old Charter 12 Classic was out of production from my post in the Welcome Wagon forum. I went back to the package store where I bought it last week and got the remaining bottle. The guy told me he may some more at his other store. I gave him my number and told him to call me if he found some more. The bottle is a full liter not a 750ml. I got if for $25.00 - is that a good deal? I've paid more for other bourbon that I like less than OC 12.
Dana

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:20 pm

Dana wrote:

I got if for $25.00 - is that a good deal? I've paid more for other bourbon that I like less than OC 12.

When I was in Pensacola in October I found a 1.75 for $24.00 but I'd still pay 25 for a liter.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight