what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Unread postby BourbonDave » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:33 am

I recently brought home Baker's, Jim Beam Black, Dickel 12, and WT101.

Bought the JBB because it is a less "hot" version of Knob Creek and very tasty.

Bought the Baker's because I'm on a Beam kick and had not had it for over a year. Have no idea why because it has to be one of the smoothest high proof bourbons I've ever had. Liquid silk, way to easy to drink!

Bought the Dickel 12 because it was $15 and had read so many good things about it. It is very easy to sip and probably one of the best buys under 20 bucks.

WT101....just craving some solid bourbon. I swear this is getting better over the last 12 months.
BourbonDave

Unread postby JoshuaNeff » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:30 pm

WT Rye- I killed off a bottle of Ritt BIB a couple weeks ago and was in need of another "every day" rye. I love baby saz, but it's so much of a dessert drink that I use it pretty much just for that, and I don't want to tap into handy or vwrff often. It was also $19, which is much cheaper then I have seen it up here, usually its in the $25-28 range.

OWA (nas)- I have a few 7 year bunkered, and finished off the open ones, so for $19 again, I decided to give the NAS a go... as I hear it's better then the last of the age stated. And for $7 less then it usually is here... why not?

Eagle Rare 17 2008 - I got them for $48 each. Need I say more? I see ER17 as a good, solid part of the BTAC... although it doesn't have the pow of the barrel proofs that I really enjoy, it's great when you want a good pour but something not as crazy. Kind of a good spring evening drink, where its warm but not overly hot and you can just sit and think about it, but not be overwhelmed by proof.
JoshuaNeff

Unread postby gauze » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:44 am

Old Fitzgerald 1849
Old Forester 75th anniversary of repeal of Prohibition gift pack (375ml bottle + scroll + drinking glass)
Old Fitzgerald Birthday Bourbon 2006

I was in an "old" mood.

the 1st was based on reviews here as it being a good daily pour. I wasn't wowed I'll admit.
2nd was 'cause it's 13 year old bourbon for the equivalent for $30 a 750ml AND it is a gift set, I dig it.
3rd was because I liked the 2004 so much (and where you going to find this?)
gauze

Unread postby Don Galligan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:00 pm

I rarely end up getting what I think I'm going to the liquor store to buy. Happened again today. I went in there thinking I wanted to spend about $20, so I was thinking WT Rye would do the trick or perhaps a Bulleit Bourbon. I had that out a few months back and quite liked it. Well I got none of those. Instead they had the Evan Williams Single Barrel on sale for $21. I had wanted to pick one of these up, but they are normally around $30. That is just in the wrong spot for my purchasing, because usually I'm looking around $20 or if I"m in the mood to do it up right I go between $40 and $70. So there is a price point that is kind of a no mans land for me and that is in the $25-$35 range. I rarely buy anything there. So today when it was $21 I figured it was in my buying sweet spot so I picked it up! We'll see how I like it. It was bottled in 2010, and barreled in 2000, so doing the math it is about 9.5 years old. It is also barrel No. 7 so that sealed the deal! I figured it must be a honey barrel if it is "Lucky Number 7". I'll report back!

-Don
Don Galligan

Unread postby T Comp » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:57 pm

Don Galligan wrote:I Instead they had the Evan Williams Single Barrel on sale for $21. I had wanted to pick one of these up, but they are normally around $30. That is just in the wrong spot for my purchasing, because usually I'm looking around $20 or if I"m in the mood to do it up right I go between $40 and $70. So there is a price point that is kind of a no mans land for me and that is in the $25-$35 range. I rarely buy anything there. So today when it was $21 I figured it was in my buying sweet spot so I picked it up!
-Don

Nice price. It's up to $28.99 here. Was $24.29 last year. Then depending on what County you reside, in this land of corruption here, you have anywhere from 7% to 12% sales tax and another $1.50 or so for a new spirits tax. I pretty much have that same, no mans land range of $25 to $40, at least for current stuff under 100 proof which is why I haven't bought this yet.
T Comp

Unread postby Rotgut » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:58 am

Old Forester Signature
I got this because it's one that gets generally good reviews and it's the first time I've seen it.

Booker's
I tend to like the beam stuff and found a good price on a bottle. I was expecting something along the lines of JB Black & KC, but kept thinking to myself that I was drinking some type of OGD. This is after just one tasting, so I'm sure things could change. But I've noticed certain bottles of JB Black taste more like OGD than KC, too.

Mike
Rotgut

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:15 pm

Right, that is the intense Beam yeasty-like note, which I think I am accustoming to. It is a signature of all their brands, but more pronounced in those you mentioned IMO.

Signature is great: rich, fruity, full of character, good rich natural flavours. 4 years aging but it tastes older due to cycling in the warehouses IMO. Top-grade stuff.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby independant » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:12 pm

Went to visit a Navy buddy and while at the NEX I picked up a handle of WT101 and a bottle of KC. Both were a lot cheaper then what I can get them for at any ABC store. The handle of WT101 was 36 compared to 48. And the KC was 25 compared at 34. The best part was NO Tax so that's even more savings. :)
independant

Unread postby p_elliott » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:43 am

I thought I would expand my whiskey horizons a little by adding Irish Whiskey to the mix. So tonight I bought a bottle of Jameson 12 yo, I really like this. I thought it was very fruity maybe apple then someone suggested melon and I think that is a better description. It's very different from any other whiskey I have ever had I'm glad I plunked down the $40 for it.
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby Rotgut » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:02 am

p_elliott wrote:I thought I would expand my whiskey horizons a little by adding Irish Whiskey to the mix. So tonight I bought a bottle of Jameson 12 yo, I really like this. I thought it was very fruity maybe apple then someone suggested melon and I think that is a better description. It's very different from any other whiskey I have ever had I'm glad I plunked down the $40 for it.

Interesting. I did a similar thing. I went to a Jameson tasting last week. I tasted the regular Jameson, 12-year, Gold Reserve, 18-year, and Redbreast. Later I bought a bottle of Bushmill Black Bush and my brother-in-law bought some other Irish - Google-de-blah or something (I'll check the name).

I've never tried Irish before and I was impressed. For the Jameson comparison, side-by-side I liked the Redbreast and Gold Reserve the best, but even the regular was pretty good. Bang-for-the-buckwise I'd pick the regular as the standout. I'd say it was light, slightly sweet, and maybe a bit floral. It's easy to drink and very good for the money. It's everywhere, and if you watch, you'll be able to find a good sale price. If it were the only game in town, I couldn't complain about being whiskey-deprived (the Irish equivalent, to me, of OGD BIB). In fact, if I were to recommend a non-whiskey drinker a first whiskey, I think I'd recommend an Irish, probably the basic Jameson. I could see my wife drinking it.

Overall, other than the basic Jameson, I can't really see myself buying the others very often. For the money per bottle I'd still much prefer bourbon (besides, for budget and storage reasons, I can't afford to be to interested in anything more than bourbon). The 12-year was good. Depending on the price, I may get some. The 18-year was very good, but I think it's at least $75 a bottle around here, and for that I can do much better going the Kentucky route. I liked the Redbreast, but for the price I can't see myself buying it. It reminded me quite a bit of Beam Black, so for the price, I'd stick with the Beam and tell myself it's Redbreast.

The Black Bush was very good for the money and I see myself keeping one of those around.

Mike
Rotgut

Unread postby DeanSheen » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:11 am

"I liked the Redbreast, but for the price I can't see myself buying it. It reminded me quite a bit of Beam Black, so for the price, I'd stick with the Beam and tell myself it's Redbreast."

I just spit out my coffee reading that. I cant even remotely see the similarities. Your being cruel to Red Breast. Give it another go sometime and double check your findings. It does stink that Red Breast is now $50. It was a much better buy at $40.
--- Robert in meatspace. (NE OH)
DeanSheen

Unread postby ebo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:04 pm

I picked up a bottle of Jim Beam Black... I find it to be an easy to drink, every day pour that has a nice caramel flavor. Also picked up a bottle of WT101, just because I like the higher proof and the nice vanilla, spicey profile. I took the advice of a friend that isn't a big whiskey fan, and bought a bottle of Canadian Club Calssic 12. This is a really nice, sweet, mellow whiskey... I'll definitely buy this again.
ebo

Unread postby BourbonDave » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:05 am

I picked up two OFBB '09. Why? I had a bottle of this back in September and I wanted to give it another chance before it's gone.
BourbonDave

Unread postby vince » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:35 am

I just picked up a bottle of 1792. I hadnt tried it in a couple of years and Hansell gave it a nice review recently. I sipped on it last night and I have to say it was very good. I compared it against the AAA 10 year old and I preferred the 1792. I also picked up Fighting Cock based on some comments I have seen here (I have not opened that one yet) and two more bottles of EWSB 2000.
vince

Unread postby PaulO » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:00 pm

Yesterday I picked up Dickel 12, Old Charter 8 year 80, and something new; Old Crow Reserve 86 proof. The label is black with white writing. It says it is aged an extra year, compared to the regular version, and it is a little higher proof. 4 year age stement. It tastes to me like a younger version of the Beam black label. 8-)
PaulO

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight