What are the essential qualities of a bourbon for you?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

What are the essential qualities of a bourbon for you?

Unread postby Mike » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:39 pm

For me they include rich barrel flavors, a controlled rye bite, the lasting power of enough barrel tannins to sustain a decent finish, some corn sweetness, and above all, all this contained (for lack of a better word) within a subtlety that owes nothing to any single component.

Surely some of you bourbon enthusiasts who visit here have something to say about this, the drink we all say we love???

If not, you are unworthy of being privy to even that small amount of knowledge I have accumulated about bourbon.

SPEAK BOURBON LOVERS, HAVE YOU NO TONGUE?
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: What are the essential qualities of a bourbon for you?

Unread postby RandyG » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:31 am

I like those characteristics associated with bourbons aged 10 to 15 years. The sweet oaky signatures left by an extended stay in the barrel. A thick hearty mouth feel. The numbing sensation in the mouth that comes from a higher proof. The sweet spot being around 105 or so. Caramel flavors are especially appealing to me. Vanilla is nice as well but in a moderation that melds well with the overall flavor.

RG
RandyG

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:08 am

I like a full palate (some oils), some creosote, smoke, vanillin, some sweetness and the impact of some rye (mint, menthol), all this melded together.

I don't like too much barrel age. The very best bourbon IMO hardly discloses long confinement in a wood package while retaining its essential nature precisely from that fact + of course being bourbon (distilled <160 proof, >50% corn, etc.).

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:26 pm

gillmang wrote:I like a full palate (some oils), some creosote, smoke, vanillin, some sweetness and the impact of some rye (mint, menthol), all this melded together.

I don't like too much barrel age. The very best bourbon IMO hardly discloses long confinement in a wood package while retaining its essential nature precisely from that fact + of course being bourbon (distilled <160 proof, >50% corn, etc.).

Gary

I always learn something from your posts, Gary, thanks for staying around. Come to Savannah sometime, and bring your wife along. Whilst we talk whiskey, (and I learn from you), our wives can talk about us. It is likely that their conversation would be the less interesting, but most telling.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:46 pm

Ha! I shall bear in mind your kind suggestion. My wife speaks constantly of Charleston, if I can convince her Savannah or environs offers equal if not greater charms, perhaps a flight is in order. I am persuaded merely by our shared interest, esprit de corps so to speak but any reinforcing factors may help to tilt the balance here.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:26 am

I will differ from Gary considerably. For me, no creosote, no smoke. I like sweetness and vanilla, For me, barrel age is everything. The longer (usually) the better. I much prefer wheated bourbons to rye based. So there is my 2 cents.
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:11 pm

Joe you would like the current Dickel beige. It's got good vanilla, reasonable barrel age, low rye, no vitamins. :) (At least the ones I bought recently).

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Agalloch » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:16 pm

I like a thick mouth feel, some vanilla with some spice and a long finish. I do enjoy some dark fruit flavors and a bit of smoke but i wouldnt call that essential to my bourbon.
Agalloch

Return to Bourbon, Straight