A new decent bourbon against an excellent vatted one

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

A new decent bourbon against an excellent vatted one

Unread postby Mike » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:35 pm

I saw a bottle of a new Beam bourbon, at least it is new to me, and decided to try it. Since it sold for $20 there seemed no harm. It is Beam's Double Oaked. I like Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, so I was thinking I might like this. I tend to favor bourbons with a bit more tannnins than most folks. I find this bourbon to be without serious flaws, but also no great strengths. It is a mite tannic, which is fine with me.

For the fun of it I paired it off against my current favorite vatting, 60% Bernheim Wheat, 15% Wild Turkey Master's Keep, and 25% Wild Turkey Barrel. The Beam is 86 proof and my vatting is about 95 proof. The vatting is a far superior bourbon, and is probably at least three times as costly (mostly because of the price of the WT Master's Keep). I think WR Double Oaked, and maybe even Beam's Double Oaked, could be satisfactorily substituted for the Master's Keep. Also Maker's 46 might work.

I find the Bernheim Wheat whiskey to be a valuable whiskey to have on hand. It is quite nice in its own right, but its softness is good for taming some of the high proof and barrel proof bourbons while allowing for the preservation of the great barrel flavors. I do like using a bit of a whiskey with more than normal tannins too............ I claim it improves the finish.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: A new decent bourbon against an excellent vatted one

Unread postby Mike » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:30 pm

I might want to amend my comment in regard to MASTER'S KEEP. It can, although quite expensive, stand upon its on ground. It has qualities all its own. Although, to be perfectly honest, it is not worth it cost.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Bourbon, Straight