Is it a Sin to mix Premium Bourbon

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Is it a Sin to mix Premium Bourbon

Unread postby Gershitis » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:27 pm

[bIs it a sin to mix premium bourbon[/b]
The reason why I bring up this topic. I purchased three bottles of a Eagle Rare single barrel store pick that I have come to realize drinks hot, it has a good nose but burns more than I would like. It seems to mask the actual flavor of what I have come to live from the past Eagle Rare bottles I have consumed. Today I purchased another bottle of Eagle Rare from a different liquor store and noticed that it drank very smooth but with a less complex nose. I decided to pour a little of both into two seperate Glencairn's and tried them back to back. I noticed the same observation I noted. After a few sips I was down near the bottom of both and decided to pour one into another. After swishing it several times and letting it sit for a few minutes I took a sniff. Damn did it have a nose, so of course I took a sip. I have to say It tasted better than they tasted seperate. My debacle is this, I have not had these bottles for more that a week and I worry that if I pour both bottles into a empty 1.75 Eagle Rare bottle that I have that is empty, that I make a mistep due to not letting the bottles oxidize, or mix them and over time they lose the excellent nose and flavor I have concocted. What are your opinions or possible experiences with doing the same thing. I know I am not the first and thank you for your input on a somewhat new boirbon drinker(4 years). A warm thank you and a healthy pour if your ever in my neck of the woods!
Gershitis

Re: Is it a Sin to mix Premium Bourbon

Unread postby Squire » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:35 pm

Not a sin certainly and something most of us have done from time to time. You might try a few more drinks of a 50/50 blend before committing to mixing both bottles.
Squire

Unread postby RandyG » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:38 pm

I'm always trying new bourbons. Sometimes they are great. Sometimes, not so great. The ones I am not very fond of will certainly find themselves on the "vatting shelf". Some of these include Stagg Jr., Bookers, the current Rare Breed, Makers Mark cask strength, and a couple ryes. Mixing these with other bourbons is a great way to utilize a whiskey that otherwise would sit stagnant on the shelf for years.

Cheers,
Mr. G
RandyG

Unread postby Mike » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:28 pm

i am a great believer in mixing bourbons (vatting) for the very purpose you name. If you find that a bourbon needs something to fit your palate, try using others that your experience has told you have the qualities you seek. I have many posts on this site wherein I do exactly what you propose. In fact, I will post one today.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Vatting is an old practice. Old Forester used to be vatted. Many fine bourbons were a blending of straight whiskeys in the market.

Gary
Last edited by gillmang on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:38 pm

Remember, it's all from corn, rye, yeast, wood. You can't go wrong blending them. You are just adding like to like, and even the "same" brand often differs bottle to bottle, which kind of proves the point.

And it used to be done widely in the country, as I said, as a wholesale practice to provide even-tempered and consistent flavours. Making a cocktail is far more "egregious" than what you propose. Don't be shy to try.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Bourbon, Straight