Taking a Break

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Taking a Break

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:42 pm

Just a quick note that I'll be taking a break, possibly permanent, from the board (the public posting part). I've had my say on countless aspects of the subject and am finding it hard to come up with new ideas and thoughts, that is the simple and only reason. But I'll continue to read the board with great interest and want to thank the BE administration for the chance given me to post here in the past. I've learned a lot and will continue to, I know. I hope to see many of you at various bourbon gatherings in the future. So I'm still a member, just in an altered way, and the transition is a natural one I think for some of us who have been posting for some years. But I tip my hat to those still in the game and will enjoy reading their thoughts for as long as they are active on the public boards. My best to all.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:36 pm

You will be missed. The only other thing I'll say is please don't let the fact that you posted this farewell keep you from coming back when the spirit moves you, even if it's, like, tomorrow, because I suspect that it will.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby EllenJ » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:03 am

Ditto
Over the years I've not been at all hesitant to simply disappear for awhile from these venues, and I can easily relate to your feelings. After all, this is really just a digital version of Mark 'n' Chris' Corner Saloon, and there are times when we all just get too much going in our lives to show up for awhile. I sincerely hope your reason is because of lots of promising things happening all at once and not because of a personal tragedy. Like Chuck, I hope your circumstances allow you to return again soon. We'll all miss you.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:26 am

Gary,
I will miss your wisdom and knowledge. I do understand what you are saying - there is only so much you can say before you feel you need a break. I do hope that this is not a loss in interest in bourbon completely and that we can still hope to see you in Kentucky from time to time.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:44 am

Thanks gents, your thoughts are much appreciated. I certainly will return to the boards if I feel I can make again a genuine contribution. But I'm still very much here behind the scenes and at social events, I hope to see you at Sampler upcoming, for example. Meanwhile, I will continue to read the boards avidly. All the best.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby brendaj » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Gary,
if I feel I can make again a genuine contribution

Like John, I can relate to the coming and going thing. Sometimes real life just gets in the way. That's the thing that's kept me always playing catch-up as to who-said-what here on the forum. But, when there's a discussion about a particular Bourbon, I'm always interested in your opinion.

That said, I really hate to see you say this. Make no mistake my friend, I consider any post you make a geniune contribution.

Right now, the industry is really stepping up to the plate in terms of new releases. It's a pretty good time to be a Bourbon lover. You like to experiment, and that's pretty cool too. Plus, you enjoy a good cocktail, and the Derby is coming up! There's just so much stuff to taste...we'll miss your buds... :?

I for one, appreciate your opinion and it will be missed.
I hope you reconsider,
Bj
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:36 pm

Thanks Brenda for your kind words, maybe those new developments will give me further impetus.

I'll be at Sampler upcoming and at the SB Gazebos from around that event; hope to see some of you there.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:58 am

Gary,
I am glad to hear that you have not given up bourbon. If you are in town the Wednesday before the Sampler then I hope to see you at the Bistro for dinner. I am not going to the Sampler myself, but maybe I will see you around that week anyway. If not there is always Sorpiofest!
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon, Straight