Holiday recommendations

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Holiday recommendations

Unread postby JH » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:29 pm

Any recommendations on a bourbon to buy for the holidays, preferably one that comes out in the fall? I'll be in Lexington for Xmas & usually stop by the Liquor Barn & pickup a bottle of something different. I've already got the new Stagg, Handy & Eagle Rare 17 yr. waiting, but I usually buy a bottle for the family to try over the Xmas holiday.
Thanks.
JH

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:39 pm

Try the Four Roses Single Barrel. Can't go wrong.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby JH » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:11 pm

Thanks Gayle, I guess I should have stated what we already pour (duh). The Four Roses is a favorite, along with VW Lot B, Eagle Rare SB, & Woodford. I plan on taking 3 bottles of Four Roses home with me :) .

Would you happen to know where I could get a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye BIB in Lexington? I usually shop at the Beaumont Center Liquor Barn & they only carry the 80 proof. After reading the comments & reviews here I'd like to try it, although that wouldn't be for the family during Xmas, they're not big rye fans.
Now if only it was warmer & the horses were running at Keenland it would be a perfect Xmas :) .
Thanks, & Happy Holidays.
JH

Unread postby Kendall » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:42 pm

If you are traveling a little further south of lexington, 20 miles south on I-75, to Richmond, stop at Liquor MartII, on the Eastern By-pass.
Ask for Kevin, they purchased a case for stock at my request. Approx.$18.00
They also have VW LOT B and some of the antique collection.
Kendall

Unread postby JH » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:32 pm

Thanks Kendall, I just might do that. Would it be easier or more senic to take the Richmond Rd ( I take it this goes to Richmond?). I usually stop at a tackle store near New Circle & the Richmond Rd.
JH

Unread postby Kendall » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:03 am

I most often take the "old" road. It is a very nice easy drive, it may add 10 minutes to the trip. It should not take you more than 35 to 40 minutes
from new circle road. If you take exit 87 and turn right (east) onto
hwy 876 (eastern by-pass) you will find two large liquor stores, one has a better selection but is priced accordingly. The Liquor Mart II is a sister
store to one but it is located about 3.5 miles further down the road.
I purchase from this store because of Kevin, and it is just 1 minute from
where I work. Good luck with your purchases. Merry Christmas!

Kendall
Kendall

Unread postby JH » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:10 pm

Thanks for the "heads up" Kendall, I drove down & got the Rittenhouse BIB this afternoon. Kevin was very couteous & helpful.
Gayle, took your advice & just bought another Four Roses Single Barrel for the family, everone seemed to enjoy it.
JH

Return to Bourbon, Straight