A summer without rain

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

A summer without rain

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:08 pm

This year's record high temperatures and low rainfall is having an effect on Four Roses. I stopped by to see Al Young today after speaking at a KCA meeting at Fort Harrod State Park. Low river levels have made it impossible to draw water from the river and it looks like they are going to have to cease production until it rains. Al was not a happy man today. At a time that they could use every bit of whiskey produced, they have to quit making whiskey because of the weather.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: A summer without rain

Unread postby Mark » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:33 pm

bourbonv wrote:This year's record high temperatures and low rainfall is having an effect on Four Roses.

It's had a damned effect on the entire new lawn I started 7 weeks ago from seed! :lol:

Really though, speaking from someone who like rain, thi fall has sucked so far. I hate heat and we've been having higher than normal temps and getting no rain... And now to hear a distiller has to cease production due to the suck weather; Quite frankly, it all blows! :lol:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Bucc58 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:57 pm

I will send you some rain if you send us some bourbon. :wink: The other night it rained 7 inches over night. It is raining again today.
Joe Young
Bucc58

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:39 pm

We would welcome some of that rain. We are hoping for about .33 inches tonight and maybe some more on Thursday. We usually have a frost by now but there is no such chance in sight. Maybe by the end of the month we will get one.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby mozilla » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:01 pm

Now y'all know how it feels to make it through a Texas summer....High temps and no rain.
mozilla

Unread postby Bucc58 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:03 pm

You guys are getting a good shower or two right now. Yea for Bourbon country !!! :cheers: :occasion9:
Joe Young
Bucc58

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:02 pm

The last time we had a summer as hot and dry was 1936. Everybody knows what happened in Jamuary of 1937!
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:45 pm

bourbonv wrote:The last time we had a summer as hot and dry was 1936. Everybody knows what happened in Jamuary of 1937!

You had a jam session?!

No. There was torrential flooding. What is now known as the Buffalo Trace Distillery was entirely submerged.

What was it, Mike, 38 feet above flood stage?

:arrow: Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby brendaj » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:15 pm

Buffalo Trace Distillery was entirely submerged.

Buffalo Trace (because it is on the Kentucky River) and major cities all up and down the Ohio basin.

I grew up hearing stories about The Flood. My Mom (she was 6) and Grandparents were relocated by boat. A funny family story involves my Mother, Grandfather and 2 bottles of Bourbon in the rescue boat... :lol:

They came back to a muck-mud-ick house, and it took weeks/months to clean up.

I was so clueless, it took me years to realize that the '37 Flood didn't just happen to Louisville... It happened all along the Ohio Valley. Cincinnati, Paducah, everywhere. 90% of Jeffersonville, Indiana and 70% of Louisville were underwater. Honestly, it was a much worse disaster than Hurricane Katrina...and no one got government trailers to live in... :roll:

Tomorrow is an anniversary of sorts...starting tomorrow, 15" of rain fell in 12 days. That's on top of 4 or 5 inches already on the ground.

The National Weather people's website says "At McAlpine Lock, the 1937 flood crested at 85.4 feet."
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Return to Bourbon, Straight