Bourbon Trail

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon Trail

Unread postby J.W. » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:42 pm

My wife and I are planning on doing the Trail in Oct. is there any tips as to don't waste time here or try this from those who have gone before?

Thanks
JW
J.W.

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:23 pm

The "trail," as such, is a relatively new creation. Most of us visited the distilleries and other sites before such a "trail" existed, so I'm not even sure what's on it. I know there are a lot more of those brown signs on the highway, pointing to the distilleries that are in any way open to the public.

We might be able to advise you if you have specific questions about specific things, and maybe someone here has actually followed the official trail and can comment on it, but most of us have not.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:16 pm

I have done the trail. If you go to http://www.kybourbontrail.com it will show you a map of the distilleries on the trail. Jim Beam doesn't really have tours, but I would highly recommend the Bourbon Heritage Center at Heaven Hill in Bardstown. They also have a very thorough tasting session.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

open distilleries

Unread postby Mack » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:47 pm

I know Fred Noe takes visitors. He even gave me his cell phone number to call him prior to visiting. you can write him at his smallbatch.com address.
...the Knife
Mack

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:10 pm

Bourbon HQ wrote:
I have done the trail. If you go to http://www.kybourbontrail.com it will show you a map of the distilleries on the trail. Jim Beam doesn't really have tours, but I would highly recommend the Bourbon Heritage Center at Heaven Hill in Bardstown. They also have a very thorough tasting session.

Gayle

Gayle...thats a great website and very helpful. It seems to answer all the questions that started this thread
BourbonBalls

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:26 am

Our original distillery trips were done following the "Bourbon Trail" map. That map did not include Woodford, but now it does. The trail map is very useful to first time visitors wanting to visit the distilleries.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby brendaj » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:24 am

JW,
If you're in Bardstown for the HH Heritage Center, you might want to drive a few hundred feet further down Hwy 49 and see the former distillery..It looks pretty much the same as it did after the fire:
http://www.fireworld.com/ifw_articles/whisky_river.php

And, I may have overlooked it on the 'trail' website, but I didn't see a mention of the Getz. you really should take time to stop at The Oscar Getz Museum of Whiskey History:
http://www.whiskeymuseum.com/about.htm

And since you're so close, you might want to take a little cruise out of Bardstown on Hwy. 62 toward the airport. A mile or so out of town on the left is where they are beginning to build Barton's new visitor center. Its going to be home to the world's biggest Bourbon barrel... :lol: I'm sure you'll find a 'local' that will be more than happy to share that whole political/hoop-dee-do story with you... :wink:
Enjoy your trip,
Bj
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:01 am

Nothing on the Bourbon Trail is a waste of time IMO. I have done the trail and found the map to be very useful.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Return to Bourbon, Straight