A question

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

A question

Unread postby maierar » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:26 am

This may have been discussed before, but I could not find the answer in a search:
It seems to me that higher proof in a whiskey (and whisky) results in more pronounced flavors, not only deeper, but more varried. I have always assumed that this was the result of less dilution (by water) of the congeners. Is there any other reason that higher proof results in my tasting more flavor and subtlety in distilled spirits?
Your opinions and expertise are appreciated.
maierar

Unread postby afisher » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:20 pm

afisher

Unread postby maierar » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:17 pm

Not a whole lot of help there.
maierar

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:39 pm

Controversial topic. When entering bourbon (in a barrel) for aging, proof is set at maximum 125 to ensure adequate extract from the barrel of lignins and other wood gums. Too much alcohol will not extract them, they are more soluble in water, apparently. Of course, once in solution (in the dumped whiskey), dilution with water (or anything, even pure ethanol) will dilute all the flavours in there. So yes, in general I would think whiskey as close to dumping proof as possible gives the most taste.

At the same time, we all know that some whiskeys seem to blossom with water addition. I think in some cases the taste is too concentrated: all the taste is there and adding water won't add any more but in some cases you need the "display" factor of water, just as adding grain whisky to a combination of malts can display the malts. (It works adding vodka too often). I know this is not much guidance, but I find in general anything from 86-100 proof usually fine and I adjust within that range if I need to by adding water. Any lower than 86, it seems too weak: any higher than 100, and it is too high too drink neat no matter how good it tastes (even 100 is pushing it).

86-90 is plenty strong to drink any liquor neat, in my opinion.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby jburlowski » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:39 pm

... and too high a proof can numb the taste buds; diminishing the ability to distinguish (and enjoy) flavors.
John B.
jburlowski

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:23 pm

I fully agree.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Proof

Unread postby ggilbertva » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:00 am

While I agree fro the most part, there are some bourbons that I will drink neat even at a higher proof. For instance, Weller Antique 107 is perfect to me. It's a great bourbon at a economical price and the proof is just right....even at 107. I drink all my BIB's at the given proof. The only bourbon's I cut will be ones at barrel strength in order to bring out the full flavors that the high alcohol content can hide. I agree with Gary, 86 proof is the lowest I like to go in proof, although there are one or two at 80 proof that I drink....e.g. Old Fitz Prime 80 (SW) is good even at 80 proof.
ggilbertva

Unread postby maierar » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:03 am

In several of the reviews, the reviewer suggests that a higher proof version would be preferable. I tend to agree. Can it be that some flavor elements form tinctures (rather than solutions) so that more of them are present at higher proof?
maierar

Unread postby BourbonDrinker » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:33 am

I personally prefer higher proofs. While they do numb the tounge a bit (which is why I drink them very slowly), the tend to leave a lingering flavor for a much longer period of time. My favorite (Stagg) leaves a wonderful chocolate after taste for a good hour hour. I equate it to the type of satisfaction you have immediately after eating a good piece of chocolate---only with high-proof bourbon that sensation lasts for a VERY long time.
Devin
Head Drinker
http://www.BourbonDrinker.com
Bourbon Ratings and Discussion
BourbonDrinker

Return to Bourbon, Straight