New Bourbon Lover

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

New Bourbon Lover

Unread postby Frezo » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:22 pm

Hi everybody! Thanks to the site owner(s) for creating and maintaining this great place. I just started getting serious about Bourbon five months ago. What a terrific drink and a fine example of Americana. Right now I'm sipping EW Vintage 97 and will shortly switch to Elijah Craig 12. These along with Eagle Rare 10 and Bulliet FW are favorites. Woodford Reserve is another that was very tasty. Honestly I haven't found a Bourbon that wasn't pleasant. With so many others to taste, it's hard to contain the excitement.

My residence is in NH where the liquor stores are state run. In fact there are liquor stores in rest areas right on interstate highways. There is a web site that lists available liquors and the stores that they are stocked at. Prices seem to be average. Is there anything that catches your eyes?
http://www.nh.gov/liquor/index.shtml
Just search for bourbon.

I also need advice on what would be good cigars to accompany bourbon. Being a pipe smoker I've discovered how a good puff can bring out the barrel in the finish. There is a good cigar shop in town and it would be nice to go in prepared.

Thanks!
Frezo
-May you live as long as you want to...and want to as long as you live-
Frezo

bourbon in NH

Unread postby PaulO » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:57 pm

Hi Frezo, I checked out your state liquor site. The Old Weller 107 is great, especially if you get it for the price they list. Cheers
PaulO

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:30 pm

Oynx & Padron maduros go well with any bourbon, as do Partagas Spanish Rosados.

Any true Havana will do nicely after five years of aging in a good humidor.

:arrow: imasaintbunghole :angel7:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby MikeK » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:58 pm

Hi Frezo,

Welcome! I live next door in MA and am quite familiar with the NH State liquor stores. While living under state control can limit your selection, I assure you that what you can buy in NH is generally at an EXCELLENT price.

One item I often buy in NH is Wild Turkey Rare Breed. I can get it on sale there for about $25 while it is usually in the $35 range in most states.

Cheers!
Mike
"The only way to drink Bourbon is straight, and preferably straight from the barrel."
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Re: bourbon in NH

Unread postby Frezo » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:07 pm

PaulO wrote:Hi Frezo, I checked out your state liquor site. The Old Weller 107 is great, especially if you get it for the price they list. Cheers

Thanks for the tip! It's currently out of stock in the NH stores, but I'll be sure to watch for it.
Frezo

Unread postby Frezo » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:09 pm

bunghole wrote:Oynx & Padron maduros go well with any bourbon, as do Partagas Spanish Rosados.

Any true Havana will do nicely after five years of aging in a good humidor.

:arrow: imasaintbunghole :angel7:

...taking notes sir!
Thank you very much
Frezo

Unread postby Frezo » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:13 pm

MikeK wrote:Hi Frezo,

Welcome! I live next door in MA and am quite familiar with the NH State liquor stores. While living under state control can limit your selection, I assure you that what you can buy in NH is generally at an EXCELLENT price.

One item I often buy in NH is Wild Turkey Rare Breed. I can get it on sale there for about $25 while it is usually in the $35 range in most states.

Cheers!

Hi Mike

Thanks for the welcome! I've been thinking about exploring some liquor stores in MA for the sake of variety. Thanks again and I'll check out the WTRB.
Frezo

Unread postby MikeK » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:55 pm

Frezo wrote:Hi Mike

Thanks for the welcome! I've been thinking about exploring some liquor stores in MA for the sake of variety. Thanks again and I'll check out the WTRB.

I suggest you make a trip to Julio's Liquors in Westboro MA. They just got in their yearly selection of hand picked single barrel bottlings. The owner Ryan picks them out and he does a good job. They have hand picked Buffalo Trace, Elmer T Lee, Blantons, and Pappy-15. They also have Weller Centennial left over from last year since they bought 2 barrels.

Cheers!
Mike
"The only way to drink Bourbon is straight, and preferably straight from the barrel."
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Frezo » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:59 pm

MikeK wrote:Hi Frezo,

Cheers!

I bought some WTRB 108.2 today. This is definately a "hair on chest" kind of bourbon. I'm finding a light citrusy/sweet start. Then FIRE! and a nice short very oaky woody finiish. It's nice and high content seems to put it in the early to bed category. :)
Frezo

Unread postby BourbonDrinker » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:29 am

The list on the web-site is not too bad!!!! Far better than what I can find in Kansas.

Some bottles that stand our are:

-Buffalo Trace
-Basil Hayden
-Booker Noe
-George Stagg (Hell Yeah!)
-Old Fitzgerald Very Special
-Old Forester (if you like Elijah Craig 12-Year)

I'm sure I'm leaving a few good ones out!
Devin
Head Drinker
http://www.BourbonDrinker.com
Bourbon Ratings and Discussion
BourbonDrinker

Unread postby Kendall » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:25 pm

Welcome. Try some Buffalo Tace, Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek. ALL are excellent, hope you enjoy.
Kendall

Unread postby Frezo » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:21 pm

BourbonDrinker wrote:The list on the web-site is not too bad!!!! Far better than what I can find in Kansas.

Some bottles that stand our are:

-Buffalo Trace
-Basil Hayden
-Booker Noe
-George Stagg (Hell Yeah!)
-Old Fitzgerald Very Special
-Old Forester (if you like Elijah Craig 12-Year)

I'm sure I'm leaving a few good ones out!

The list is not as great as it looks because not all of the bourbons are in stock or may not be in stock at a nearby location. For example Old Forester is only available in the Conway store which is a 2 hour drive. That's too bad as I do like the Craig 12 so I'll watch for the Forester to come to a closer store. Thanks!
Frezo

Unread postby Frezo » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:31 pm

Kendall wrote:Welcome. Try some Buffalo Tace, Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek. ALL are excellent, hope you enjoy.

Thanks! I find the Woodford to be excellent and have purchased it a couple of times. Is the Knob Creek similar?
Frezo

Unread postby Mack » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:13 am

They are both good, though different. I find Knob Creek has an very sweet nose (maple syrupy) and is slightly sweeter than Woodford Reserve, while the latter has a drier sweetness, like dark chocolate.

Tastings.com describes Knob Creek as "extra aged/wood character", and Woodford Reserve as "honey barrel" flavor that combines the profile of Knob Creek, Wild Turkey ("robust and spicy") and Makers Mark ("soft and sweet"). You'll find that taste is very subjective and reading the reviews, the same whiskey tastes very different to 2 different people.

WTRB is my all time favorite, though if you think that one is strong, you should try Booker's (also excellent at ~124 proof) or George T Stagg (~140 proof). I've just picked up a bottle of the Stagg, which I'll try this weekend, though i'm a bit afraid of it.

Prices in NH are very good overall. Honestly, i did not even realize it was state run. I've picked up a 1.75L jug of WT101 in Conway at $36 - also an excellent price (I'm partial to Wild Turkey, or as my 2 year old daughter calls it - the Ducky), and if i recall, the Elijah Craig 18yr and 12yr were also well priced. The same 1.75L of WT101 was over $44 in Buffalo last weekend.
...the Knife
Mack

Unread postby Frezo » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:40 pm

I'm starting to warm up to the WTRB now that I've found the correct amount of water to splash in it. It's bringing out a nice woody finish that really impresses. Knob Creek will be next. It sounds good.

I tried cigars and bourbon. Yup...another vice is born! :D
Frezo

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight