Bourbon Tasting 9-5-07

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon Tasting 9-5-07

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:35 am

We had a bourbon tasting today. Results attached.
Joe
Attachments
Bourbon Tasting 9-5-07 at Joe's.pdf
(8.46 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Tasting

Unread postby ggilbertva » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:08 pm

Joe,

The results surprise me a little but as we know, taste is subjective. That Old Fitz BIB should be 6 years old. I didn't look too closely at the bottles but assumed they would have the 6 year old age statement like the others that I have. Looks like you had a good time.

Cheers/Greg
ggilbertva

Unread postby angelshare » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:46 pm

Interesting that the OF BIB seems to win on nose but not overall. So many times in our unblinded tastings, nose predicts the winner. Plus, I (Dave) really like OF BIB.

Blind tasting is always very enlightening/humbling to us. Thanks for posting your notes - we really enjoy them!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby cowdery » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:46 pm

I wouldn't assume the Old Fitz BIB was six years old and it never has had an age statement, so far as I know. By the early 90s the glut was getting worked out of the system so Prime and BIB may have been in the 4 to 5 range, but not 6 or more. I'm not saying that was the case but it could have been. I sure wouldn't assume it was 6.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:04 am

There was no age statement on the Old Fitz BiB. I was surprised that it didn't fare better in the tasting. :?:
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby cowdery » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:40 am

Old Fitz BIB has long been a favorite of mine so I have consumed it regularly for many years. I can't say that about that many products. I still think it's a good product, I still buy it regularly, and it's still a favorite, but it started going down hill when it was still Stitzel-Weller, then went further down after it became Bernheim. That's not to say it's not good now, just that it was really really good then.
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Unread postby ggilbertva » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:44 pm

cowdery wrote:I wouldn't assume the Old Fitz BIB was six years old and it never has had an age statement, so far as I know. By the early 90s the glut was getting worked out of the system so Prime and BIB may have been in the 4 to 5 range, but not 6 or more. I'm not saying that was the case but it could have been. I sure wouldn't assume it was 6.

Chuck,

The reason I mentioned that is because a couple of my Old Fitz BIB's are age specific at 6 years old. I can snap a photo and post it. It may be that not all had the age statement but a number of my bottles do. In fact, if you view my pics under collectibles on SB.com, you will see two of the bottles show a "6" on the neck. I mistakenly made the assumption that the Fitz's would all be 6 years old.
ggilbertva

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:53 pm

I should clarify. I have never seen an Old Fitz BIB in the standard green label bottle that has an age statement on it. I have, however, seen and own several Old Fitzgerald BIB decanter bottlings that have an age statement and the age is six years. That applies to those. It doesn't mean all Old Fitz BIB is six years old and, in fact, modern Green Label Old Fitz BIB is probably four years and change.
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Return to Bourbon, Straight