The goodest reason for going somewhere else

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

The goodest reason for going somewhere else

Unread postby Mike » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:01 pm

Cause they got liquor stores you ain't been in yet. A friend and his wife invited my wife and I to spend 6 days at their condo over in Myrtle Beach, SC this past week.

Now, SC ain't noted for much of nothing but an early presidential primary, starting a Civil War, and putting grits in their shrimp.

I was not expecting to find any good bourbon there, but I fount me a bottle of 101 Russell's Reserve, a bottle of '06 Stagg ($55) and some Fighting Cock, which I cannot recall seeing in Georgia. I am learning my friend what little I know about whiskey and he is taking to it. I bought him a bottle of Fighting Cock cause he liked it so much, and he bought a bottle of Old Grand Dad 114 to have on hand when I go to his house.

While I cannot claim the kind of finds that Gregg Gilbert has been on to, I was pleased with what I did find.

I recommend that you go somewhere else once in a while.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Good finds

Unread postby ggilbertva » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:32 pm

Mike,

Nice finds there buddy. I'll tell ya, for $14, Fighting Cock is a good bourbon that I have no problem drinking neat. My fav though is either Rittenhouse BIB or Fighting Cock and Ginger. Finding a RR 101 is sweet and of course the '06 Stagg is nothing to complain about. I was in Myrtle Beach this past March and did some shopping while there. Picked up Pappy 15, Pappy 20, Weller Antique 107 and a couple of other bourbons that VA doesn't carry. I tried to find some dusty's but most of the stores carried current stock.

I'm headed to KY next month so I hope to stop in and do some shopping in L'ville and also hit some outlying stores in Western KY while attending a wedding.
ggilbertva

Return to Bourbon, Straight