Neat Fee

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Neat Fee

Unread postby NeoTexan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:08 pm

Has any one else seen this or had it on their bill? A surcharge for no ice.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07233/810938-46.stm
NeoTexan

Surcharge

Unread postby ggilbertva » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:48 pm

I have not. But then again, I very rarely ever pay for whiskey. I prefer to drink at home. I think over the last year I've maybe been to a bar and ordered bourbon 2-3 times.
ggilbertva

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:00 pm

A NEAT FEE?!!!! :omg: :ohcrap: :angryfire: :cussing: :protest: :chainsaw: :rantswitch:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Bucc58 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:18 pm

:evil: :shock: :evil: :shock: :evil: :shock: :evil: :shock: :evil:
I agree with Bunghole! I would think your getting the same amount of bourbon. I you are, then your getting cheated if you order neat. I would ask the Manager and get a reason. If you are getting more bourbon neat, no problem. If not I would raise hell! they must not know they are dealin' with an expert. 8-) If they give you crap, post the phone number on here and I'm sure some of us could call them and persuade them to change thier cheatin' ways. :twisted:
Joe Young
Bucc58

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:21 pm

I think it's weird that they make an arbitrary aesthetic judgment that the glass doesn't look "right," then charge you extra for correcting it.

Presumably, you can countermand it by saying, "I want it neat but make it with the normal amount of alcohol, because I'm not going to pay your fucacta neat fee."

"Neat fees" are an abomination unto the Lord.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Mark » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:47 pm

Yeah this is just absurd... Make the drink with the same amount of alcohol as it is with ice and charge the same. Simple, almost too simple I guess... :evil:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby kpendle » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:48 pm

If I ever encounter this, perhaps I will just ask for my ice on the side. 8-)

Ken
kpendle

Unread postby Mike » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:14 pm

Taking a cue from the Banks are they? Fee ing us to a frigging fare thee well! Like a lot of other things in this life, if I can't do much about it, I can sure piss and moan and declare them to be scoundrels.

Come to think of it, I haven't been in a bar for a whiskey in well over a year........but, nevermind, I will still allow myself the pleasure and necessity of pissing and moaning!

Confession may be good for the soul, but I do declare, P&M is too!! I take pride in the fact that my wife says I am good at it.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby pjanda1 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:51 pm

I'm always subjected to neat fees at one of the few places I go. I once enquired about it, and they explained that when ordered neat, they pour more. They actually do too, as they fill the glass to the same place they do if you have it on the rocks (or sometimes higher). I beleive one can order no rocks, and get and equivalent amount of bourbon to on the rocks for an equivalent price. As the neat fee gets one nearly two drinks for only $1 more (and they haven't got the widest selection anyway), I always exercise that option.

pj
pjanda1

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:21 am

pjanda1 wrote:I'm always subjected to neat fees at one of the few places I go. I once enquired about it, and they explained that when ordered neat, they pour more. They actually do too, as they fill the glass to the same place they do if you have it on the rocks (or sometimes higher). I beleive one can order no rocks, and get and equivalent amount of bourbon to on the rocks for an equivalent price. As the neat fee gets one nearly two drinks for only $1 more (and they haven't got the widest selection anyway), I always exercise that option.

pj

The argument they give of pouring more when ordering neat is a weak one at best. A Jigger is a Jigger....don't they have measuring devices!???

If they tried to give me that argument, I'd simply tell them to pour me an ounce and a half....thats all I want...I dont care how it looks in the glass to them. I don't expect more than that in the glass and I SURELY won't pay more with some stupid "neat fee". Absurd. As customers we can order exactly what we want. One of the pleasures of being served and paying for it.
BourbonBalls

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:06 pm

Using their stupid logic, the damn drink should be cheaper because you're not using their water to make ice!! Idiots! What kind of fools they think we are??
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby jburlowski » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:37 pm

I ran into this a few years ago at a very high-end hotel bar in Cincinnati. The bartender gave me the sort of run-around mentioned in the story. Fortunately, they had prices listed on the drinks menu. I demanded to see the manager; first the bar manager to no avail --- then the hotel manager on duty. I was finally assured that it was all a "misunderstanding" (in their mind, on my part) and charged the listed price.

Needless to say I've never been back and I have related this story numerous times to visitors and business associates that are coming to town.
John B.
jburlowski

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:44 pm

Way to go! We have to spread the word. This is how to stop this sort of unfairness!

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Return to Bourbon, Straight