What is cheap (correction - inexpensive) bourbon?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby Mike » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:34 pm

Let me put in a plug here for Old Fitz 1849. It is bottled now without an age statement, but I happen to have several bottles of OF 1849 that were labeled as 8 Years Old and it cost me $15 a bottle. Not the least expensive to be sure, but far from expensive.

Actually, I consider this to be the best of the 'inexpensive' whiskies. It is robust, balanced, and has some weight and viscousity too.

If you can find any of this excellent whiskey around, get yourself a bottle and enjoy it! I think you will be surprised at how good a $15 whiskey can be. I have not tried the OF without an age statement and I don't know if they reduced the proof.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby ghostwolf » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:29 pm

I like the Very rare old Heaven hill 10 year old at 100 proof. I found it for 10.99 to 13.99 here in Ky.
ghostwolf

Unread postby BulleitBob » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:19 pm

I have to agree with ggilbertva on some of this. I'm presently sippin on a Old Weller Special Reserve, but that's only because I finished off my Antique 107 last night. I'm loving that Weller Antique! I used to get Elijah Craig 12 in Colorado for about 12 bucks--that was back in 2004. Sometimes I pour an Old Overholt when I'm feeling like a Rye. Goofy bottle but the drink ain't too shabby. Being a Scotch drinker in a previous life, I think that just about any bourbon is a bargain. For the price of a mediocre Scotch whiskey, you can get some excellent Bourbons.
BulleitBob

Unread postby Eggman » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:24 pm

Howdy,

A local drug store chain has Jim Beam White label for $12.99. I don't know if that qualifies as "budget Bourbon" or not, but I'm a Beam enthusiast, so I think I'll stop by. :wink:

Eggman
Eggman

Unread postby ACDetroit » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:20 pm

I picked up 2 750 ml bottles of Old Fitz 86 Prime for $9.99 each, tax stamps in tact and 1985 on the bottom of the bottle. These my be the cheapest bottles I've picked up ever! I know they will be good.

Tony
Tony Curtis

“So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey.”
W.C. Fields
ACDetroit

Unread postby ggilbertva » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:15 am

Not too shabby Tony. I also picked up some gems this last year. Two bottles of 1965 distilled Old Fitzgerald BIB at $11.99 each. I just opened one of the bottles the other day and wholly cow....is it good. I simply love the SW Old Fitz...my favorite pour.
ggilbertva

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight