What is cheap (correction - inexpensive) bourbon?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

What is cheap (correction - inexpensive) bourbon?

Unread postby Mike » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:39 pm

Recently I pulled out a bottle of Old Taylor bourbon. I believe it is produced by Beam and it cost me $12.99. I guess that qualifies these days as 'cheap' bourbon.

It ain't a hell of a lot more expensive than some of these bottled waters that pass for something you owe yourself. Leastways, you know Old Taylor don't contain no germs whatsoever.

So, what did I think when I was adrinking this here Old Taylor. I tried to put myself in the same frame of mind as I do when I serve on a jury. That is, I tell myself that I can lay aside my preconceived notions as to how valuable this here stuff is and judge it fairly as the evidence comes to me.

Now, outright, upfront, I am claiming that Old Taylor ain't bad whiskey. It don't have any off flavors, and it doesn't have any of the rawness that I am wont to ascribe to 'cheap' whiskey.

Old Taylor has a nose with vanilla, oak, rye, leather, and a little bit of citrus..........again, I find its nose quite respectable from what I know about bourbon.

The taste is characteristic of the best bourbons.........some nice sweetness upfront followed by a bit of rye bite and finishing with a nice mixture of both in the finale. Quite satisfactory, whilst being a bit on the mild side, I would say.

I can sit and enjoy Old Taylor and even offer it to friends without hesitation. It is far from a bad bourbon. The worst bourbon I can remember is not even a bourbon, but it is Gentleman Jack Tennessee Whiskey.........akin to light beer in my book.

Why is it 'cheap'. Well, I am just not qualified to say. It is not deep and rich like the bourbons I prefer, but they cost at least three times as much. Many of them way more than that. At present, I can, and do, go the freight to enjoy them and am happy that I can.

If Old Taylor were the only bourbon available, would I still 'condescend' to drink it?.............no doubt here............I would indeed. If Gentelman Jack were the only whiskey available would I drink it? Yes, I would drink GJ........while bitching all the while about it being overpriced........which it most definitely is, in my opinion.

Enjoying bourbon, discussing bourbon, reviewing bourbon, struttin and frettin about bourbon........let's not forget, the actual taste of a bourbon is far from the only factor here. Being humans, we choose sides, choose brands, are influenced by many external things. Our taste today probably won't be our taste tomorrow........consistency is overated, empheral, and too often bought at too high a price.

Does it matter one whit? Nah!
Last edited by Mike on Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Mark » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:15 pm

I agree with you Mike. Recently my favorite 'cheap bourbon' has been Old Forester. I just bought out a store that had 9 1.75 Liters left for $17.25 each. I know that that is cheaper than it usually is, but the regular price would have been $24 and even for that it is a great 86 proof bourbon with a great nose, taste and finish IMO.

Now don't get me wrong, it is still worth while to treat ones self to the finer offerings now and then, or even have one of each open and on the ready. But for drinking alone when I tend to have a few, like 2-3 I jsut goto the Old Forester and save the others when I want to do comparisons, enjoy just one nice hefty pour or have friends over who can enjoy them with me. :)
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:39 am

Mike,
I agree with your opinion of Old Taylor. It is a tasty bourbon for the price, but it could be better. My biggest problem with Old Taylor is the 80 proof. If you can find a bottle of bonded Old Taylor, get it it and enjoy a very fine bourbon.

I personally don't like the term "cheap bourbon" but prefer the term "inexpensive bourbon". There are some "cheap bourbons" out there and some of them are quite pricey, but most bourbons are very good bourbon which just happen to to be inexpensive but taste fine. Even bland tasting Jim Beam White is a good bourbon for mixing with soft drinks.

Inexpensive bourbons tend to be younger bourbons and at lower proof - 80 or 86 proof. This does not mean that they are made any cheaper than the their more expensive, more mature siblings. They will have less barrel dominated taste and a bit of grain flavors and alcohol heat. The alcohol heat is one of the reasons they are bottled at low proof - the other main reason is to Make them less expensive.

One of the best bourbon I have ever drank was a 5 year old Bottled in Bond Old Taylor made in 1913 and bottled in 1918. It was as good as any 10 year old product bottled today and better than most. I wish I had another bottle of it today.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby ggilbertva » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:24 pm

I agree Mike, cheap doesn't necessarily reflect what's in the bottle. For instance, I just recently tried AAA 10 year which I can still get locally for $13. I was pleasantly surprised by the nose and the taste. At 86 proof I would prefer something a little higher but for the price, I would drink this neat, no problem. Another bourbon that I actually find outstanding for the price is Weller Antique 107. At 7 years and 107 proof, I find this bourbon to be exceptional for the price....the last two bottles I purchased about 3 weeks ago cost me $15 each. Finally, I find Fighting Cock at $14 (on sale) to be a fine pour also and that's at 103 proof. I'm glad I've discovered some of these fine pours at very reasonable prices.

Ok folks, what other inexpensive bourbons are in your liquor cabinets?
ggilbertva

Unread postby Bucc58 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:36 pm

Ezra Brooks 101 / 7yo. / $15
Found this on mistake this weekend. I had ordered EBSB 12yo and it was mistakenly sent. It is very tasty and very smooth. :P
Joe Young
Bucc58

Unread postby Martian » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:02 pm

I also recently discovered Old Ezra 101 7 yr. Excellent for the money.
Martian

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:42 pm

My best recent score in an under-$10 bourbon was JTS Brown BIB, for $8.69. That was in Louisville, where you also can get a 1.75 L of Very Old Barton BIB for $21.99.

Up here in Chicago, I can get Ten High for $7.99. It isn't as good as the JTS Brown. Best value in a 1.75 L, at least on a recent foray to Sam's, was Old Forester 100 at $27.99.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby TNbourbon » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:31 pm

Tennessee has great selection -- I have assumed, because it is a 'whiskey' state -- but it does not follow that bourbon is necessarily cheap here. It ain't!
Thus, the best value locally might be the Ezra Brooks 90 proof/black label -- a JD knockoff -- which is almost certainly Heaven Hill whiskey, but not junk. It runs about $11 (before tax) per 750ml. For a drinkable/mixable 90-proofer, that's not bad.
TNbourbon

Unread postby afisher » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:42 pm

Also Evan Williams 1783, $12/750 in PA.
afisher

RE: Inexpensive Bourbon

Unread postby PaulO » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:46 pm

Greetings to all, I have been reading for a few months now, and finally registered. What a great site. There are many brands out there offering good whiskey for less than $15 a fifth. I will start with the leat expensive and move up; Kentucky Tavern, regular 80 proof Evan Williams, JTS Brown BIB, Ancient Age, Weller SR, and JW Dant BIB.
PaulO

Unread postby angelshare » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:08 pm

afisher wrote:Also Evan Williams 1783, $12/750 in PA.

An all time favorite of Tina's - although they're dropping the ten year age statement, so the quality may suffer.

Benchmark - cheap price, mid-shelf quality.

Henry McKenna - cheaper than JB White, but much better. Simple? Yes.

AAA was the best kept secret in VA for years; bottom shelf price for top shelf quality. Sadly, now it's gone.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:42 pm

Among the many bargain bourbons that are out there, I'd have to include one that I enjoyed tonight: Old Charter 10 Year Old. Sadly, I finished off the remanants of the bottle this evening. I would also include the AAA that's been previously mentioned as well as the Very Old Barton 90 and 100 Proof as excellent buys. I know there are lots of great buys out there, these are the ones that come to mind at this point in time.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby ggilbertva » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:03 am

angelshare wrote:
afisher wrote:Also Evan Williams 1783, $12/750 in PA.

An all time favorite of Tina's - although they're dropping the ten year age statement, so the quality may suffer.

Benchmark - cheap price, mid-shelf quality.

Henry McKenna - cheaper than JB White, but much better. Simple? Yes.

AAA was the best kept secret in VA for years; bottom shelf price for top shelf quality. Sadly, now it's gone.

I've been picking up 750ml bottles of the 1783 as I come across them. They are disappearing faster than I thought they would. Funny you mention the AAA Dave, I came across 8 or so 1L bottles and some 1.75L bottles at a local ABC the other day. I have been searching for the AAA 10 year for some time but figured it was all gone. Well, surprise, this store still had a number on the shelf. I've picked up two bottles so far and you are correct, it's a mighty fine pour....even more so at $13 a liter.
ggilbertva

Can't find it anymore...

Unread postby PaulO » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:36 pm

A local store used to have Old Fitzgerald BIB. I don't know if they will get any more. It was some very nice Bourbon. :(
PaulO

Re: Can't find it anymore...

Unread postby angelshare » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:55 pm

PaulO wrote:A local store used to have Old Fitzgerald BIB. I don't know if they will get any more. It was some very nice Bourbon. :(

Very nice for the price indeed.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight