A Connoisseur?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

A Connoisseur?

Unread postby BourbonDrinker » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:40 pm

As my bourbon quest matures I have begun to consider, “What is the difference between enthusiastic connoisseur and alcoholic?” I love to drink every day (1 or 2 drinks---maybe 3 or 4 on a quiet weekend). I often drink alone (I'm embarrassed to say whilst watching Star Trek or some other SciFi). I find that bourbon greatly improves my disposition (it makes me quite jovial, but also equally incapable of rational speech). Sometimes I'll sneak a nip in the late morning on a weekend. I have no desire to stop drinking bourbon on a regular basis, and I find myself looking forward to my daily pour in the evening (ahhhh---to finally relax). On the other hand, I'm very good at limiting my intake---I don't drink bourbon to get drunk. I don't pour a glass until I'm home for good and I never drive after drinking.

I found elsewhere on the Internet that signs of alcoholism are:

1. Drinking alone
2. Making excuses, finding excuses to drink
3. Daily or frequent drinking needed to function
4. Inability to reduce or stop alcohol intake
5. Violent episodes associated with drinking
6. Drinking secretly
7. Becoming angry when confronted about drinking
8. Poor eating habits
9. Failure to care for physical appearance
10.Trembling in the morning

Does anyone else here share this concern and what are your opinions on the differences between being a connoisseur and being and addict?
Devin
Head Drinker
http://www.BourbonDrinker.com
Bourbon Ratings and Discussion
BourbonDrinker

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:41 pm

Nothing to keep an alcoholic from also being a connoisseur. I admit that I have great pity for alcoholics and addicts, but also harbor, like most people, a degree of anger that they cannot manage themselves better.

I have lived with alcoholic roommates and I know people who are close to me who are addicted to alcohol, drugs or gambling. I have found any efforts on my part to help........aside from letting them slip into the depths and getting help from people who are qualified to assist, which I am not.....have been futile or worse (enabling). I have seen some recover and some who have not.........and it is sad beyond measure to see them go under.

Still, I drink bourbon and other spirits and enjoy them. I have at times made a great fool of myself under the influence of alcohol (fortunately it has been quite a while since I last did it), but have no intention of giving up drinking, unless my health demands that I do so.

I know that with drinking comes risk and I do my best to keep it within acceptable bounds. Being a human is fraught with risks and uncomfortable possibilities all along the way. You pays your money and you takes your choice..........no guarantees can ever be given.

Now, as to what constitutes a connoisseur, that is a whole 'nother question. Alls I can say for sure is that I am not one. I have neither the taste memories that allow me to compare whiskies that I had a few years ago to the current one, nor the nose or taste to appreciate fine nuances that I think a connoissuer can appreciate.

So that leaves me as a bourbon/spirit lover and I am most happy with that because I derive pleasure from drinking and rarely abuse that privilege.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:58 pm

I ain't no conn-a-sewer but I ain't no rummy either ( I don't think). Better ask Fricky.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:49 pm

Addiction experts will tell you that the ultimate test for all addictions is whether or not it interferes with the rest of your life: with work, family, or other pastimes. It usually starts to inhibit the person's ability to function and interact normally with other people long before any health problems are exhibited.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Return to Bourbon, Straight