Russell's Reserve Bourbon Whiskey (101-Proof)

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby BourbonDrinker » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:37 pm

Mmmmmm... MMMMM!!! So good.

Finally tried my Russell's Reserve 101-proof today.

Darn fine stuff!!! It has quickly moved to the top of my favorite list (parked right behind my beloved Stagg).

Still have to do a more thorough examination of the bottle, but so far she's a real beauty!
Devin
Head Drinker
http://www.BourbonDrinker.com
Bourbon Ratings and Discussion
BourbonDrinker

RR 101

Unread postby ggilbertva » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:05 pm

I have yet to try this particular bourbon (at 101). Fortunately, I have 4 bottles inbound.
ggilbertva

WT range

Unread postby Mack » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:01 am

Being in Canada, I regularly pick up the "export only" products at DFS stores in the airport. Unfortunately, I have very limited variety back home (lcbo.com lists what is currently available in Ontario).
As I mentioned in another post, i have seen WT Old #8 advertised last month in Quebec, and both 8yr and 12yr is available at duty free.

I have a couple of new bottles of 8yr in my cellar, along with a RR101. My veep picked the latter up in Boston at a specialty store that apparently still has stock, so if anyone is in the area and interested, i can get the addy.

Also, I have my bro in Alberta hunting for more bottles of Kentucky Legend 101 in Banff, where I found my (almost finished) bottle. (My guess is that Banff caters a lot to the Japanese tourists, which may explain how the Legend got there - it is only listed as limited distribution in Japan on this website).

Mike - i noticed you waited 20 minutes before tasting. Do you recommend this as the best way to taste? I did notice once that my 8yr straight out of a new bottle wasn't as good as one that "waited" for me on the table. Usually, however, i don't wait. I can't wait....
...the Knife
Mack

Re: WT range

Unread postby Mike » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:47 am

Mack wrote:Mike - i noticed you waited 20 minutes before tasting. Do you recommend this as the best way to taste? I did notice once that my 8yr straight out of a new bottle wasn't as good as one that "waited" for me on the table. Usually, however, i don't wait. I can't wait....

Mack, good to have another Canadian on board.

I don't normally wait 20 minutes to taste, but since I was doing a side by side of somewhat similiar WT bourbons, I wanted to have them all opened up about the same amount.

Also, I do love to nose bourbon at least a few minutes before drinking because I just love the aromas for their own sake. Wild Turkey bourbons and Rye all have wonderful noses.

The WT 12 YO (I am down to my last half bottle) is one of my all time favorite bourbons, as is WT Tribute (down to my last 2/3 bottle). WT Rare Breed and WT Rye are also exceptional whiskies in my opinion.........guess you could call me a WT bigot.

You know, I probably would not be above flying into Toronto just to get some of the WT bourbons at the Duty Free Shop that are not available here.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bucc58 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:09 pm

That is dedication at its highest levels! :shock:
Joe Young
Bucc58

Unread postby Mike » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:16 pm

Bucc58 wrote:That is dedication at its highest levels! :shock:

Probably a better word than dedication is the one Barleycorn uses for me...........foolish (and that is when he is being kind).
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: WT range

Unread postby pjanda1 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:00 pm

Mike wrote:The WT 12 YO (I am down to my last half bottle) is one of my all time favorite bourbons, as is WT Tribute (down to my last 2/3 bottle). WT Rare Breed and WT Rye are also exceptional whiskies in my opinion.........guess you could call me a WT bigot.

I, too, am an enormous fan of WT. I finally purchased a bottle from the line of early 90's 12YO's at a local store ($45). The cork fell apart, half in my hand, half in the bottle. I quickly poured it into an empty RB bottle, but alas, it seemed to have perished, as yeasty weirdness and odd tingly-ness pervaded. I returned it from whence it came. I am tempted to try the next bottle in the line, but I fear the same fate.

pj
pjanda1

crumbling cork

Unread postby Mack » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:30 am

The exact same thing happened to my WT Kentucky Legend. Unfortunately, i did not have an empty bottle handy....
...the Knife
Mack

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight