Walker's Deluxe

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Walker's Deluxe

Unread postby LogicalFrank » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:30 pm

I just brought a bottle of this stuff home from a local hole-in-the-wall liquor store and was looking forward to writing a review of it but it's not in the database. I there some reason for this (maybe in there under a different name or something)? It seems fairly common. Anyway, if there's no reason it's excluded, how can I add it?
Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius. Bring me more whiskey and rye!
LogicalFrank
Ice Giant

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:36 pm

Send Mark or Chris a private message with the information (proof, age statement, etc.) and they will add it to the list. There are a few of the Heaven Hill products not in the data base as well and it would be nice to have as a complete data base as possible. I hope to send them the information on some of them one day when I have time.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby LogicalFrank » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:53 pm

Thanks. It turns out the other bottle I got, Henry McKenna (definitely not the 10 year), isn't in there either but I've never seen that before. You guys need to drink more cheap bourbon so I don't have to be the first w/ all of these! :)
LogicalFrank
Ice Giant

Unread postby kpendle » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:13 pm

I bought the Henry McKenna I believe you are referring to recently and it was by far the most horrible bourbon I have had. I could not even use it in a mixed drink it was so bad. But it was less than $10 for a liter bottle.

Curious to hear what you think of it. I have not had good luck with any HH products recently but I will keep trying.

Another thing I had I did not care for recently was the Elijah Craig 12yo. Not good neat but made an excellent mixed drink. At some point I will try another bottle as I have read there are bottles that are not as good.

Ken
kpendle

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:35 pm

ploof!
bunghole

Unread postby angelshare » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:58 pm

kpendle wrote:I bought the Henry McKenna I believe you are referring to recently and it was by far the most horrible bourbon I have had. I could not even use it in a mixed drink it was so bad.

We agree that HM is lackluster, but we always found it more simple than bad. My stepbrother who works for Diageo tells us that HM is gaining significant market share in VA, presumably due to its price point compared to the ever increasing price of major brands.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby LogicalFrank » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:02 pm

I definitely liked the Walker better, that's for sure. It is really mild but there's nothing notably bad about it. It tastes like cheap bourbon, which is pretty OK in my book. The McHenna is harsher but I haven't taken the time yet to do a proper review of it.
LogicalFrank
Ice Giant

Unread postby ggilbertva » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:26 am

LogicalFrank wrote:I definitely liked the Walker better, that's for sure. It is really mild but there's nothing notably bad about it. It tastes like cheap bourbon, which is pretty OK in my book. The McHenna is harsher but I haven't taken the time yet to do a proper review of it.

Dave/Tina,

Regarding the HM, have you had the BIB which is a full 10 years? I have two bottles but have not opened one yet.
ggilbertva

Unread postby angelshare » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:46 pm

Yes, the ten year is fabulous! We're worried that it will disappear soon, though, given the shortage of aged whiskey.

When OneCube and Bunghole came over a while back, OneCube remarked re: HM 10 year: "There's a lot going on here." In a way, just the opposite of its flagship sibling.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Return to Bourbon, Straight