How many open bottles?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

How many open bottles?

Unread postby BourbonDrinker » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:10 pm

How many open bottles of Bourbon Whiskey do you have in your possession?

I have approximately 25 bottles, and all but 2 are unopened (because they are duplicate bottles of ones that are already open).
Devin
Head Drinker
http://www.BourbonDrinker.com
Bourbon Ratings and Discussion
BourbonDrinker

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:05 pm

I will get back to you when my wife is not here and I can get them all out and in one place without her saying, 'My God! You will never drink all that!' Little does she know that I plan to live to 136 and am acting accordingly.

I expect I will be surprised............either by the fact that there are fewer than I think, or, that I gots way mo bourbon than a mortal ort to accumulate.............I have only stockpiled a few (ORVW 15 YO, Eagle Rare 101 10 YO, Old Fitzgerald 1849 8 YO, Hirsch 16 YO, Wild Turkey Tribute).
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:20 pm

Nice collection Mike. No offense but, this is why I'm not married!

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:24 pm

I have approximately 38 open bottles of bourbon. These are my everyday pour.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:05 pm

Bourbon HQ wrote:Nice collection Mike. No offense but, this is why I'm not married!

Gayle

No offense taken Gayle!

Most all of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt (the following excluded) and should rarely be taken at face value. There is nothing in this world that is the equal of, or that I would exchange for, my wife. Without her, all my kidding aside, I would be lost. She is the best person I have ever known and my best accomplishments in life would not have been made without her.

You are allowed to draw your own conclusions about my character from that statement and I intend them to have no relevance at all to your own situation. Your choice is obviously right for you.
Mike

Open bottles

Unread postby ggilbertva » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:07 pm

Well, I have somewhere around 25 bottles open right now. My bunker of course has many more bottles just waiting to be opened. My wife tells me I have more than I could ever drink in a lifetime....she's right
ggilbertva

Unread postby TNbourbon » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:21 pm

I don't feel like taking my shoes off to count, so I'll just show you:
Attachments
kitchen.jpg
kitchen.jpg (111.65 KiB) Viewed 6889 times
S_Ws.jpg
S_Ws.jpg (209.65 KiB) Viewed 6889 times
foreigners.jpg
foreigners.jpg (244.65 KiB) Viewed 6888 times
NorthAmericans.jpg
NorthAmericans.jpg (209.36 KiB) Viewed 6889 times
TNbourbon

Unread postby ggilbertva » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:32 pm

TNBourbon, I noticed in your pic the bottle of Hirsch gold foil. I have a bottle and am not impressed with it, no matter how hard I try to like it. I did have the good fortune of trying a pour of the Hirsch blue wax and it was excellent. the gold foil dissapoints. What is your impression of the gold foil?
ggilbertva

Unread postby TNbourbon » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:06 pm

ggilbertva wrote:TNBourbon, I noticed in your pic the bottle of Hirsch gold foil. I have a bottle and am not impressed with it, no matter how hard I try to like it. I did have the good fortune of trying a pour of the Hirsch blue wax and it was excellent. the gold foil dissapoints. What is your impression of the gold foil?

http://bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/DBvd ... aybottling

Basically, I find it pretty good bourbon on its own, but inferior when head-to-head with the blue-wax, an exercise I just did a few days ago when I finished my last 'blue' bottle.
Last edited by TNbourbon on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNbourbon

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:07 pm

ggilbertva wrote:TNBourbon, I noticed in your pic the bottle of Hirsch gold foil. I have a bottle and am not impressed with it, no matter how hard I try to like it. I did have the good fortune of trying a pour of the Hirsch blue wax and it was excellent. the gold foil dissapoints. What is your impression of the gold foil?

You know Gregg, the first time I tried the Hirsch 16 (gold foil, I have never sampled the blue wax) I was not impressed. Over time though, something changed and I found it to have more and more appeal. I now count it as a classic and among the very best.

It may never resonate with you like it does with me, and if not, then so be it.
Mike

Re: Open bottles

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:20 pm

ggilbertva wrote:Most all of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt (the following excluded) and should rarely be taken at face value. There is nothing in this world that is the equal of, or that I would exchange for, my wife. Without her, all my kidding aside, I would be lost. She is the best person I have ever known and my best accomplishments in life would not have been made without her.

You are allowed to draw your own conclusions about my character from that statement and I intend them to have no relevance at all to your own situation. Your choice is obviously right for you.

OH! I see your wife reads this forum too!
BourbonBalls

Unread postby Mike » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:16 pm

I did my open bottle count today and I have 81 open and 8 unopened........I am not a collector.
Mike

Unread postby BourbonDrinker » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:06 pm

Mike wrote:I did my open bottle count today and I have 81 open and 8 unopened........I am not a collector.

81 Bottles?!

Wow.
Devin
Head Drinker
http://www.BourbonDrinker.com
Bourbon Ratings and Discussion
BourbonDrinker

Unread postby ggilbertva » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:33 pm

Mike wrote:

You know Gregg, the first time I tried the Hirsch 16 (gold foil, I have never sampled the blue wax) I was not impressed. Over time though, something changed and I found it to have more and more appeal. I now count it as a classic and among the very best.

It may never resonate with you like it does with me, and if not, then so be it.

Well, the Hirsch has been open for some time now and it's had plenty of time to breath. I tried it again last night and it was less disappointing than usual but still not a bourbon that I would reach for. I've had many bourbons over the last year and I definitely know what I like and don't like. I'm not sure time will improve the taste or my impression. I won't toss it out and maybe one day it will resonate with me. I'm patient, and will continue to give it due consideration.
ggilbertva

Unread postby ggilbertva » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:36 pm

Mike wrote:I did my open bottle count today and I have 81 open and 8 unopened........I am not a collector.

Woweee! 81 bottles. Time to throw a party. I use the word collection when talking about my bunker but understand that I intend on drinking all that I have, sharing with friends and participating in trades with other enthusiasts. I don't purchase to "collect", I purchase to enjoy, now or later.
ggilbertva

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight