Ancient Age

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Ancient Age

Unread postby stanl5 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:24 pm

I really like Ancient Age bourbon.......Very decent for eight bucks....Can anyone supply info for a few drink recipe's for this bourbon?
stanl5

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:43 am

Ancient Age and water> Try Ancient Ancient Age. I like it better.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:20 pm

Bourbon HQ wrote:Ancient Age and water> Try Ancient Ancient Age. I like it better.

Gayle

I agree with Gayle. Ancient Ancient Age 10-Star is a much better tasting bourbon. It's the very same mashbill as Ancient Age as many of the pricey single barrel expressions such as Blanton's; Elmer T. Lee, and Rock Hill Farms. Ancient Ancient Age Ten Year Old is the shiznitz, but is not available everywhere. AAA 10-Star is widely available.

I just drink Triple A on the rocks as it is an affordable easy drinking bourbon that requires no thinking.

As far as real cocktail recipes go - just use any of Gary Regan's. He's a pro. You can find them in his "Book Of Bourbon". That being said, Ancient Age should be able to put out a decent whiskey sour, mint julip, ect.

Linn
bunghole

Unread postby BourbonDrinker » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:25 am

I've tried Ancient Age and wasn't too impressed. It wasn't the worst bottle I've tired (that honor belongs to Most Wanted bourbon), but it didn't appeal to me at all. I'd love to try the Ancient Ancient Age 10-Star but I can't find that in my area.

For two years I've only been drinking Bourbon---and only drinking it straight. I've had the urge recently to start trying some mixed drinks with Bourbon---mint Julip's and the like---and my bottle of Ancient Age is definitely be destined for that.
Devin
Head Drinker
http://www.BourbonDrinker.com
Bourbon Ratings and Discussion
BourbonDrinker

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:11 pm

BourbonDrinker wrote:I've tried Ancient Age and wasn't too impressed. It wasn't the worst bottle I've tired (that honor belongs to Most Wanted bourbon), but it didn't appeal to me at all. I'd love to try the Ancient Ancient Age 10-Star but I can't find that in my area.

Like the illustrious Saint bunghole, I prefer the 10 YO AAA over the 10 Star. To my palate it is an excellent bourbon that fits the Buffalo Trace profile, but has its own unique character too. I have struggled to put a finger on what makes AAA 10 YO unique and have not satisfied myself that I have it. It is a bit of an earthy, slightly sourish flavor that I happen to like. It is also somewhat dry.......... a characteristic that I rarely hold against a bourbon.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Bourbon, Straight