Beam black (No age statement)

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Beam black (No age statement)

Unread postby Eggman » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:27 pm

Howdy,

Tried JB black for the first time since the age statement was removed. It's lighter in color and lacking a bit for barrel char on the pallet compared to the traditional 8 year variant it replaced. I'm disappointed. What about you?
Eggman

Re: Beam black (No age statement)

Unread postby WhiskeyCollector » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:09 am

I won't buy it. I know it's not that big of a deal but I like age statements so whenever they go away so do I.
Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig 12, Fighting Cock, 1792 Ridgemont Reserve are some of the ones that have dropped their age statements and lost me as a buyer.
WhiskeyCollector

Unread postby devilscut » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:37 pm

I agree whiskey collector
devilscut

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:07 pm

Spot on.
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Vital » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:15 pm

WhiskeyCollector wrote:I won't buy it. I know it's not that big of a deal but I like age statements so whenever they go away so do I.
Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig 12, Fighting Cock, 1792 Ridgemont Reserve are some of the ones that have dropped their age statements and lost me as a buyer.

Elijah Craig 12 didn't drop age statement, it's still there just not on front of the bottle. Look at the back sticker still says 12 yo.
Vital

Unread postby ebo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:59 pm

...And if it still tastes good.... does it matter?
ebo

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:33 am

Vital wrote:Elijah Craig 12 didn't drop age statement, it's still there just not on front of the bottle. Look at the back sticker still says 12 yo.

as of a month or two ago, EC12 is no more.....now its just EC

I, as one who doesnt particularly care for the higher age/woodyness of it, think it may bet better if the age comes down to about 10 years. But, then it would likely just me a re-labelled McKenna BIB. I wonder how much longer that one will hold on, with EC losing its 12 year statement, EWSB which used to be at least 10 years old showing up now at 8-ish years, Fighting Cock going NAS, and HHBIB gold going extinct. McKenna BIB 10 year and HHBIB 6 year are my go-to HH labels.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:57 am

Its a way of raising prices due to high demand. Most of my stuff lacks an age statement. I think Beam is trying to push you into one of their pricier bourbons, like Knob Creek. Like Fox said, the Heaven Hill jugs of great bourbon for cheap are now completely gone, so that stuff has obviously wound up in pricier bottles. Fighting Cock was always similar to HH gold label, and still is, I drink it and like it.

I found the 1792 from Barton to be just as good as I remember, but I'll only buy it on sale.

I don't think Wild Turkey ever had an age statement. There's might be younger than before, supposedly they distill at a higher alcohol level than before in an effort to increase production, so they cut corners too.
Birdo

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:21 pm

wild turkey's last age statement was 8 years old, but that was before I started drinking bourbon, so I cant compare it. As much as I enjoy basic HH stuff, I still prefer WT101 slightly. The only HH stuff I drink these days is the HH6BIB and the McKenna 10BIB, both of which are great values at $11 and $28 here. Ive been on more of a rye kick lately, but do like HH, WT and JB bourbons quite well, provided theyre over 100 proof
393foureyedfox

Return to Bourbon, Straight