What a bourbon enthusiast must learn (in my opinion)

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

What a bourbon enthusiast must learn (in my opinion)

Unread postby Mike » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:53 pm

For many years I have been a faithful (?) bourbon drinker. I like bourbon, and I like its effects. Bourbon and it effects cannot, I believe, be separated. They are both part and parcel of the experience. Abuse of alcoholic beverages is, and always has been, a serious problem. There are few things that have been more destructive in the life of more individuals than the abuse of alcohol.

The, almost, praiseworthy attempt to limit alcohol's devastating effects, Prohibition, was a disaster, and brought us organized crime.

It is axiomatic that Life is challenging, and that we all resort to things that bring us some comfort in the face of its trials.

It is my opinion that, in addition to the various abuse of substances, there can be abuses of other kinds. Some ideologies, such as that of Communism in the late Soviet Union, are every bit as destructive in their 'habit forming' effects as are those of alcohol and drugs. Among these is also religion. Religion can be as destructive in its addictive forms as any other form of addiction...... intolerance is too often the outcome.

I drink rarely to the point of true intoxication. But, even so, I am aware that as I approach that point, in addition to avoiding driving, I need to avoid expressing certain opinions, for they are not those I would utter were I not to a certain degree inebriated.

Perhaps this is one of those times. For I say that in addition to learning, as one gets more experience with bourbon, the peculiarities of one's own palate, one needs to learn the peculiarities of one's own personalities as he/she consumes more alcohol.

Enjoying bourbon is a perfect example of restraint.......... at least it is for me.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: What a bourbon enthusiast must learn (in my opinion)

Unread postby ebo » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:15 pm

I'm so happy you decided to start posting again, Mike. Your insight and takes on bourbon/whiskey are special.... and truly entertaining to read.
ebo

Unread postby Squire » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:41 pm

Next round's on me Mike.
Squire

Unread postby whiskey buyer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:36 am

I enjoyed your post, however I disagree that you cannot separate bourbon and it effects.
I drink one to two ounces a day, doctor's orders, and while I enjoy drinking it (on the rocks) I do sip it slow enough to not garner it effects.
The one exception was when I drank some Knob Creek. I did not realize it was 100 proof at the time :)
whiskey buyer

Unread postby KYBarrelDrew » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:34 am

Once you learn to taste bourbon and start picking out the flavors, you learn to respect it. With respect comes the realization you don't have to get drunk to enjoy drinking. It hinders my ability to taste. Getting to know bourbon has slowed down my drinking and I didn't even realize it was happening. I also think it is about mindset. If you have your mindset on the right reason for drinking, I doubt you would become dependent.

mindset 1: I want to drink so I can get a buzz and have fun
mindset 2: I want to drink because I enjoy tasting and the complexity of bourbon. it is my hobby

you can see which one could become more of a problem. mindset 1 teaches that you must be drunk to have fun. that can lead to dependence.
KYBarrelDrew

Return to Bourbon, Straight