Retailers who've done the barrel program with Eagle Rare 10

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Retailers who've done the barrel program with Eagle Rare 10

Unread postby tytoanderso » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:34 pm

I am a retailer and I recently purchased an entire single barrel of Eagle Rare 10yr. I'd like to find other retailers and share your experiences of the program. What did you think of the experience... the distillery, the people and the finished product?

Cheers!

Tyler
tytoanderso

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:45 pm

I don't know if there are many retailers here, but I know many of us here have purchased bottles from retailers who participated in this program. I personally haven't had any Eagle Rare that was so produced, but have had several different Weller expressions and an Elmer T. Lee.

In one case I drove 160 miles, round trip, just to buy a certain bottling from a certain retailer. I know others who drove further.

So, I think very highly of this program by Buffalo Trace.

As a retailer, you have acquired a particular barrel and every barrel has a story. That's what whiskey enthusiasts want, in addition to a good and distinctive whiskey, they want that story.

Sorry for butting in, since that wasn't the purpose of your post, but maybe in broadening the topic we can attract some other retailers to participate and comment.

Since I see that the above is your first post, I'd be interested if you could make a second one that tells us how you found this place. We'd love to hear about your store and, of course, your bourbon selection.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby tytoanderso » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:05 pm

I just happened upon this site while researching bourbon on the web one day, and it seems that the people really share my passion for bourbon.

I am the liquor buyer/manager for Zipp's Liquors in Minneapolis. It's an independent, family run store that has been around (and in the same family) for 40+ years now. About a year and a half ago I decided to start specializing in whisky... specifically single malt. As my selection of Scotch grew (I stock 150+) my appreciation for other whiskies grew along with it. I now stock around 80 bourbons, ryes and other American whiskies.

When the opportunity for the Eagle Rare program came around I jumped at the chance. There aren't many people out there that can say "I hand selected that bourbon." I'm really quite pleased with the selection and the entire experience. The folks at the BT distillery are some of the nicest and most passionate people that truly care about what they do.

BTW, Chuck, I enjoy your articles in Midwest Wine Connection.
tytoanderso

Unread postby Mark » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:25 pm

I've also bought 3 bottles of eagel rare sb 10yo from a retailer who purchased 3 different barrels thus far. The first if i remember correctly was actually 13 or 14 years old and it was phenominal. Then he bought 2 more barrels but had one bottled in 750ml bottles and the other in 1.75L bottles. I remember him describing to me how samples were sent to him for this purchase since he couldnt go out to KY to pesonally pick out barrels etc. I liked the 1.75L bottle but the 2nd 750ml had a bit too much of that earthy rye taste for me. Still, I love how picking out different barrels really can show how different locations, weather etc can affect the final product.

Myself and some others a few years back bought a barrel of Buffalo Trace and till this day I think, as does EVERYONE who tastes it, that it was one of the best bottles of bourbon I have tasted. Everything was jsut spot on IMO with it.

The name of the store that buys Eagle Rare bottlings from time to time (and they have also done elmer t lee too) is Bayway Liquors in Bayway New Jersey.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby jburlowski » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:30 pm

I've bought a number of the BT retailer-special SB offerings. Though of varying quality, none have disappointed. I usually go by the suggestion of the whiskey expert at the store whether to try a particular bottling or not --- he usually ofers a tasting. If you engage in that kind of interaction with your bourbon afficianados, it's a great way to build a loyal (and oft-returning) clientele.
John B.
jburlowski

Unread postby ColbyJ » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:38 pm

At Sam's Wines & Spirits (Chicago, Donwers Grove, and Highland Park) we have picked not only barrels of Eagle Rare, but also Elmer T. Lee, Blanton's, Sazerac, and Buffalo Trace. The Buffalo Trace people are great, the experience of selecting barrels is fun and educational. And, if you are a Bourbon lover as I am, getting to taste multiple barrels of these products is heavenly.

We've selected barrels both by visits to the distillery and by them bringing barrel samples to us. Personally, visiting the distillery is my preference!

Selling these bottlings is easy and fun because we taste and select them and have a story to go with the bottle.

Colby
ColbyJ

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:02 pm

I think it's a great program. I just noticed another one I have, a Hancock's Reserve from Liquor Barn in Louisville, and it's quite wonderful. Since Sam's on Marcey is my main source for all things alcohol, I have several of theirs too.
Last edited by cowdery on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby TNbourbon » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:34 pm

A very interesting and notable thing about Buffalo Trace's single-barrel program is that it is not limited to retailers. A number of us -- Mark and Bob, for example -- have participated in private groups of buyers who have purchased a barrel or barrels for personal consumption (though, by legal necessity, via the 3-tier distribution chain). Personally, I've been involved, either directly or peripherally, in the private selection of 11 barrels on four different occasions, and own selections from each.
To me, one of the things the single-barrel program does for BT is it demonstrates how fine their standard products are. While one can, and does, fine-tune a single-barrel selection to personal and/or unique taste profiles, I have not encountered one that is anything more or less than an accentuated version of the standard retail bottling.
Sure, I'm glad I got to select those ETLs, and Weller 12yos, and Pappy 23s, but the bourbon I'm drinking is/was going into those brands anyway. The selection is a personal and fun whiskey education, but the bourbons all were pretty good to begin with.
TNbourbon

Return to Bourbon, Straight