Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:46 pm

Has anyone heard that the Evan Williams 1783 will no longer be 10 years old? That's what I read. I don't know if it's true, or if it is, hold old will it be?

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby fricky » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:33 pm

The age statement has been removed from the label. I assume that it will not be 10 years old; however, I don't know the age of what is currently being put into the bottle. It was one of my favorite lower-priced bourbons.
Doug
fricky

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:02 pm

There is still plenty of the 10 year old on the shelves here in Louisville including the big bottles. I guess I should stock up while it's 10 yr. old.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:59 pm

This was inevitable. If it hasn't happened already, expect the age statements to disappear from all of the less expensive (let's say <$20 for a 750 ml) Heaven Hill products.

Here is what will happen. Initially, they will take pains to match the current profile while working in younger whiskey, but it will come to taste younger and younger, until it's basically a four-year-old. If sales plummet as a result, they'll discontinue this expression, which may be in the cards anyway.

But look for this as well. Heaven Hill has been slow with new product introductions in the whiskey category. They also have not touched the Fitzgerald line, in terms of the expressions offered, since they acquired it. They could, for example, re-launch one or more of the Very Old Fitzgerald expressions, with an 8 or 10 year age statement, and at a premium price.

As for their rye-flavored bourbons, it could be that the growth of EWSB, EC12 and EC18 is taking up all of the whiskey in those age groups that they can spare and they don't have enough for any new expressions, but we'll see. It would not surprise me if they make a couple of new product introductions, either line extensions or new brands, that involve age statements and premium prices.

They already have the Henry McKenna 10-year-old which, when you think about it, would be drawn from the same stock of 10-year-old whiskey as EW1783, but sells for more than twice as much.

If it was your distillery, what would you do?
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Martian » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:24 pm

The 1.75 L bottles I have recently seen say "No. 10 Brand" instead of "10 years".
Martian

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:06 pm

cowdery wrote:If it was your distillery, what would you do?

Put bunghole in charge?? Monks make beer and spirits in Europe, why not a Saint making whiskey in America?
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:01 pm

Mike wrote:
cowdery wrote:If it was your distillery, what would you do?

Put bunghole in charge?? Monks make beer and spirits in Europe, why not a Saint making whiskey in America?

:lol: Mike, I'm sure Chuck knows Saint ima well enough to put me in charge of empty barrels and glasses only. :roll: :wink:

:arrow: saintima :angel7:
bunghole

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:06 pm

Bourbon HQ wrote:There is still plenty of the 10 year old on the shelves here in Louisville including the big bottles. I guess I should stock up while it's 10 yr. old.

Gayle

Hey Gayle,
Please Pick up a couple of 750's for me and I'll pick em up in September at the Bistro. I kinda like this stuff at 10 y/o. Thanks.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Mike » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:22 pm

Bourbon HQ wrote:There is still plenty of the 10 year old on the shelves here in Louisville including the big bottles. I guess I should stock up while it's 10 yr. old.

Gayle

There is plenty at my liquor store too. And, as it happens, I am sipping on some this very minute. It is a very enjoyable whiskey with all the corners rounded.
Last edited by Mike on Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:35 am

OK Joe, will do.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Return to Bourbon, Straight