Asleep many years in the wood

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Asleep many years in the wood

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:54 pm

Some of you will recall the epigram above on the Old Rip Van Winkles bottles of bourbon that are no longer available.........the 10 YO and the 15 YO (and maybe others of which I am unaware).

I am a student of bourbon and know precious little about aging bourbon. I believe I am correct in saying that Conventional Wisdom maintains that wheat bourbons age better than rye bourbons. There are, however, a number of 18+ year old rye whiskies that test this CW.

I just reviewed a bourbon that 'seems' to me to have been in the wood too long. That is my latest purchase of Rowan's Creek. Even the nose says too woody and dry. And the taste, at least to my palate, bears that impression out.

Now, I am one who doesn't mind a 'dry' bourbon. So I compared the 14 YO Rowan's Creek to Pappy 23.........another bourbon that CW says is very dry. And it is dry, but it is not JUST 'dry'.

In my opinion, in addition to its dryness, Pappy 23 has achieved a certain delicacy of flavor that seperates it from the Rowan's Creek. It moves slightly toward wine and cognac and away from bourbon on the spirit scale. There is a sweetness in Pappy 23 that doesn't seem to come from wheat or corn, but just from the barrel.........and from the years in the barrel.

It is a 'delicate' sweetness that only seems to come at the end of years in the barrel and that only comes from a small number of barrels. The very last sip, which has been in the glass quite a while, of Pappy 23 tastes for all the world like the bourbon has been 'contaminated' by cognac. The same is true with Pappy 20.

You know, folks, it is not a good thing to talk too much about Scotch, Cognac, and Bourbon as competitors. I happen to like them all, and consider them spiritual equals...........drinking bourbon more often not because it is necessarily better, but because it most often suits my mood..........a result, say I, of my being American.

Nevertheless, I think a first class cognac is an amazing spirit that is absolutly alluring in its aroma and taste. And, as for Scotch, it too is just astounding in the complexity and richness of its taste.............in all it varieties.

So what I am reaching for here in trying to discriminate between the too woody and dry Rowan's Creek and the very woody and dry, but delicate, and extraordinary, Pappy 20 and Pappy 23, may very well lie in the realm of fantasy.

But, I submit to you, it also lies squarely within the realm that lies most closely to the heart of what being truly human is all about. It is about living well, which has nothing to do with money, or class, or intelligence, or education. It is about awareness of what is next to you, and the small things to which you apply your attention. I make no pretentions beyond being a student at any of this.

Is this about bourbon?............Well, yes...........and Well, no. Is loving bourbon (and being aware of its dangers and seductiive powers) different from loving anything else...............I doubt it.

I love Pappy 23 for the small things I taste there. I don't care for my most recent Rowan's Creek for the small things that I do NOT taste there.

What do I know about bourbon, or anything else for that matter?...........very, very little. Why did I write this?.................hmmm, I wonder?...........I lack any mastery here.
Last edited by Mike on Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Jon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:30 pm

Did Rowan's Creek change from 14yrs to 12yrs in the barrell as of late? My first purchase of this "choice" bourbon ( in my opinion) was made this May '07 and I had not paid any attention to it before. If there are older offerings, I will definately keep my eyes open. By the way Mike, I enjoy your articles at times because they put me into a retrospective mood. Thanks.
Write what YOU smell and taste in an accurate descriptive form and in complete disregard for others posts. Not everyone will share your particular taste, but you very well may succeed in helping them find theirs!
Jon
KY Mastertaster

Re: Asleep many years in the wood

Unread postby wingnut73 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:05 am

[quote="Mike"]Some of you will recall the epigram above on the Old Rip Van Winkles bottles of bourbon that are no longer available.........the 10 YO and the 15 YO (and maybe others of which I am unaware).

Mike,

Is the ORVW 10yr no longer available? I'm getting worried because it's my favorite.

Joe
wingnut73

ORVW 10 year

Unread postby ggilbertva » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:35 am

I believe what Mike is referencing was the 15 and 10 year old as SW products. The ORVW 10 year, which is now a BT product is still available. I've picked up of bottles over the last number of months no problem. Unless BT has discontinued the ORVW line and I haven't heard.
ggilbertva

Re: ORVW 10 year

Unread postby Mike » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:28 pm

ggilbertva wrote:I believe what Mike is referencing was the 15 and 10 year old as SW products. The ORVW 10 year, which is now a BT product is still available. I've picked up of bottles over the last number of months no problem. Unless BT has discontinued the ORVW line and I haven't heard.

I stand corrected..........it is the SW that I was referencing.......but I have not seen ORVW 10 YO in these parts and had even forgotten that it is available.
Mike

Unread postby wingnut73 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:33 pm

ok thanks for clearing that up. That had me worried because I love the ORVW 10/107. I almost started crying.

joe
wingnut73

Unread postby Mike » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:58 pm

wingnut73 wrote:ok thanks for clearing that up. That had me worried because I love the ORVW 10/107. I almost started crying.

joe

My hat is off to anyone who would cry for bourbon. Sorry if I scared you!
Mike

Return to Bourbon, Straight