Henry McKenna 10 Yr

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Henry McKenna 10 Yr

Unread postby Clayhargis » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:33 pm

I tried this bourbon for the first time about two weeks ago. I impressed! My favorites for good sipping bourbons have always been Maker's Mark and Elijah Craig, but I think that has changed. Perhaps it's because I find that McKenna 10 Yr falls between the flavors of the previously mentioned bourbons. It's refined, yet spicy like Maker's Mark, and at the same time, buttery and lazy like Elijah Craig. Good, good stuff. ch
Clayhargis

Re: Henry McKenna 10 Yr

Unread postby Vital » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:11 pm

+1

I don't see how it reminds of Maker Mark but EC - yes, very similar indeed. It's in the EC12/Blanton's category for me. Spicy "manly" drink if you will. And those 2 are in my must have at all times list.
Vital

Unread postby Squire » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:45 pm

I get the spice reference which I attribute to the barrel influence which can be more noticeable in a wheat recipe Bourbon.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:23 am

Vital wrote:+1

I don't see how it reminds of Maker Mark but EC - yes, very similar indeed. It's in the EC12/Blanton's category for me. Spicy "manly" drink if you will. And those 2 are in my must have at all times list.

I dont get either the MM or EC similarities, but more like a Heaven Hill 6 year BIB mixed with what I imagine a 10 year old WT 101 would be like...which puts it in my 'like' category
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Birdo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:53 am

Sounds like it's in the family of stuff I would like, I will get me some.
Birdo

Unread postby Birdo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:55 am

Squire wrote:I get the spice reference which I attribute to the barrel influence which can be more noticeable in a wheat recipe Bourbon.

It must be the barrel as you say. I get the spice comment with wheaters, but its different than the rye spice in ordinary mash bill bourbon. I've been enjoying some wheaters as a change up from my standard high proof pours.
Birdo

Unread postby mhatzung » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:31 am

I guess I need to get another McKenna. The only bottle I have bought and still have not emptied after at least 2 years, I find very alcohol hot. I do like the flavors that come with the "hot", but not enough to actually enjoy drinking it. A little heat is good, we are drinking alcohol after all, but this one is off putting. Being a single barrel, perhaps I have an outlier.
mhatzung

Unread postby Squire » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:23 pm

I have noticed "hot" as a sometime characteristic of HH brands. Not all of them or all the time, but enough to notice. HH whiskys tend to be a medium style and I think it has to do with the texture of their basic recipe and established production techniques.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:08 pm

Squire wrote:I have noticed "hot" as a sometime characteristic of HH brands. Not all of them or all the time, but enough to notice. HH whiskys tend to be a medium style and I think it has to do with the texture of their basic recipe and established production techniques.

i would agree. HH products seem more 'proof-y'/hot at 100 proof than other brands, to me at least (which I like). I mostly enjoy barrel proof whiskies of most brands, but HH at 100 proof often seems almost on par with them. The one HH product Ive had at barrrel proof though, ECBP, I found repulsive.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Squire » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:08 pm

Too much of a good thing, eh?
Squire

Return to Bourbon, Straight