Out of the Blue --- Wathen's

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Out of the Blue --- Wathen's

Unread postby Mike » Fri May 25, 2007 5:17 pm

I was at 'my' liquor store today and Nikko said I have something to show you. He had not even put any of this new arrival out on the shelves yet. I don't know what he had, but I followed him to the back and lo and behold, a bottle of Wathen's. He was able to get six bottles, I think.

I have never had Wathen's, but I know it by reputation, so I took the bottle directly from his hand and said, 'I'll take it, how much is it?', he said, 'It is $36.99'.

I could barely wait to get home to try it (he also sold me on a bottle of Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey.........see my post on that very good whiskey).

Wathen's is every bit as good as people say it is. It is FULL FLAVORED, with great BODY and RICHNESS. I have no hesitation in saying that I will return for more bottles to sit alongside the cached A.H. Hirsch, Old Rip Van Winkle 15 YO, Eagle Rare 101, and 8 YO Old Fitzgerald 1849 that already snuggle together in my saloon.

Wathen's............a great bourbon...........I'll drink to that!! It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. I think I will ask Fred Rogers over for a sip................ah, shucks, I forgot, he died a while back.

Well, then, I 'spect I would enjoy James Earl Jones' company a whole bunch and I would be willing to give him a sip of Wathens, and Chris Cooper too...............shit y'all, we could have a fine old time. And if we could throw in Bourbon Joe, bunghole, John L, LaNell, Mike V, Gillman, Chuck, Gayle, Stoopsie, Hondo John, MikeK, Brendaj, JD, and more and more, all talking at the self-same time...........it would be just too good........Barleycorn is wagging his tale like ninety.

Alright, Barleycorn, alright..........you get a sip of Wathen's...........damn dog, he makes me act so foolishly. But then, y'all, as my wife says, I doon need much encouragement to be foolish! I am natural born to it!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri May 25, 2007 8:00 pm

Hey Mike,
I just knew you were gonna like that Wathens. What year was it bottled? I'm still workin on some '99. Great Stuff.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Re: Out of the Blue --- Wathen's

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri May 25, 2007 8:03 pm

Mike wrote:shit y'all, we could have a fine old time. And if we could throw in Bourbon Joe, bunghole, John L, LaNell, Mike V, Gillman, Chuck, Gayle, Stoopsie, Hondo John, MikeK, Brendaj, JD, and more and more, all talking at the self-same time...........it would be just too good........Barleycorn is wagging his tale like ninety.

If you can make it to Louisville to the Bistro On the Wednesday before the Bourbon Festival, we can probably do just that!!!!
Joe

Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Re: Out of the Blue --- Wathen's

Unread postby Mike » Fri May 25, 2007 8:28 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:
Mike wrote:shit y'all, we could have a fine old time. And if we could throw in Bourbon Joe, bunghole, John L, LaNell, Mike V, Gillman, Chuck, Gayle, Stoopsie, Hondo John, MikeK, Brendaj, JD, and more and more, all talking at the self-same time...........it would be just too good........Barleycorn is wagging his tale like ninety.

If you can make it to Louisville to the Bistro On the Wednesday before the Bourbon Festival, we can probably do just that!!!!
Joe

I am there Joe. I have all my preservations, including 'Let's Talk Bourbon'
Am I looking forward to it..........does a bear shit in the woods?
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Fri May 25, 2007 8:30 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:Hey Mike,
I just knew you were gonna like that Wathens. What year was it bottled? I'm still workin on some '99. Great Stuff.
Joe

It was bottled in Feb of this very year. I would never believed an 8 YO could have this much richness. An incredible bourbon!
Mike

Wathens.....

Unread postby ggilbertva » Wed May 30, 2007 2:14 pm

For sure a wonderful bourbon for the price. You're cost is a little higher than what I pay, $30. I have a bottle open which I'm nursing and one in the bunker. I spied two more bottles on the local ABC shelf yesterday but didn't pick any more up. I've spent too much $$ on dusty's in the last couple of weeks and have to back off before my wife take the wallet away.....I think I'll pull out the Wathens tonight.
ggilbertva

Re: Wathens.....

Unread postby Mike » Wed May 30, 2007 3:09 pm

ggilbertva wrote:For sure a wonderful bourbon for the price. You're cost is a little higher than what I pay, $30. I have a bottle open which I'm nursing and one in the bunker. I spied two more bottles on the local ABC shelf yesterday but didn't pick any more up. I've spent too much $$ on dusty's in the last couple of weeks and have to back off before my wife take the wallet away.....I think I'll pull out the Wathens tonight.

Even though I shouldn't I will probably buy another Wathen's since 'my' store only has 4 or 5 left and doesn't know if he will be able to get anymore. No room for any more bottles though. My wife complained about bourbon, bourbon, everywhere so I had to clean up the saloon (which doubles as a laundry room in my house) and now when I want something in particular, I must hunt, hunt or ask Barleycorn where so and so is.........he goes straight to it everytime.......it is embarrassing when your dog is smarter than you are!

I also have been spending way too much on spirits of late. I had to sell the old Packard (which was up on blocks in my front yard) last week. I will miss it, cause I liked to sit in 'Albert' (Packard's name) and have a sip of an evening. My wife wouldn't come near me when me, Barleycorn, and 'Albert' were in communion with the spirits.

Guess we will have to find another spiritual place for our communions.
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed May 30, 2007 7:03 pm

Laundry room huh? I better not hear of bourbons with a bleach aftertaste or a nose like laundry detergent.
Joe

Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Mike » Wed May 30, 2007 7:56 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:Laundry room huh? I better not hear of bourbons with a bleach aftertaste or a nose like laundry detergent.
Joe

My clothes have an aroma of dark fruit, wood, vanilla, leather, brunt brown sugar etc., etc., etc. Wherever I go I draw a crowd...........and some flies.
Mike

Return to Bourbon, Straight