Dant and Ancient Age

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Dant and Ancient Age

Unread postby scratchline » Wed May 16, 2007 3:56 pm

I recently acquired some Dant BIB that was distilled in '76 and bottled 4 1/2 years later in Fall of '80. DSP-113 which I understand to be the old Ancient Age Distillery, now Buffalo Trace. Now I also have some old bottles of Ancient Age 86 proof from roughly the same period that are labelled "fifty-four months old". My question is, "Is this the same whiskey at two different proofs or were the mash bills different for each?" Any answer or speculation is appreciated.

-Mike
"There exist mighty dogs, the dangerous kind who take hold of your heart and do not let go."

-Vicki Hearne
scratchline

Unread postby EllenJ » Thu May 17, 2007 12:09 am

It would be my guess that you nailed it.

J. W. Dant (which I just chose for an example in another thread) was the flagship product of one of Kentucky's most prestigeous old whiskey dynasties, prior to Prohibition. A once-well-respected old brand, it emerged after Repeal with a popularity more reminiscent of Desparate Housewives. Between the early '30s and the early '90s the brand has been owned by (at least) National Distillers, Armand Hammer, Schenley, United Distillers, and Heaven Hill. During Schenley's regime, the whiskey (at least the bonded whiskey) was distilled at #113, the George T. Stagg distillery (according to Mark Brown, never actually called Ancient Age, except by us ignorant folks who read the watertower sign -- which now says Buffalo Trace). This is not generally thought of as the best possible example of J.W. Dant bourbon, and, if diluted to 86 proof, is probably indistinguishable from 4 1/2 year old Ancient Age from that time.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Return to Bourbon, Straight