Aging

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Aging

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Sun May 13, 2007 2:17 pm

Anyone know what effect or aging ratio difference barrel sizes have? Let's say for instance a 10 gallon barrel vs. a 53 gallon barrel. I know Buffalo Trace is experimenting with some 10 gallon barrels. If whiskey has been in the two barrel sizes for four years. What would be the age differences?

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby afisher » Sun May 13, 2007 3:56 pm

On first principles, you would think that the rate of aging would be proportional to the ratio between the surface area and the volume of the barrel, hence proportional to the 1/3 power of the volume. So a 10-gallon barrel would age 1.7 times faster than a 53-gallon barrel, and 4 years in the 10 gallon would be about like 7 in the larger barrel. I don't know if this matches experience, though.

I'm actually aging some 100pf vodka in a 1-liter barrel to get a more or less pure barrel taste; theoretically this should develop almost 6 times faster than in a full-size barrel, modulo variations in char, wood, temperature, etc.
afisher

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Sun May 13, 2007 4:02 pm

Yes afisher, that sounds reasonable to me. Interesting topic. Maybe we'll get some other input. Let us know how your experiment turns out.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby bunghole » Sun May 13, 2007 9:35 pm

ima aging a bit faster than I'd like. I've been told a lot of heat is headed my way, so I'd like to be stored on the coolest floor of your rackhouse.

Do take me out for a 'spin' each season, if it's not too much trouble.

I keep trying to get to Pittsburgh to see an old friend, and folks keep telling me to go to hell. Is that the same place?

:arrow: imasaintbunghole :angel7:
bunghole

Unread postby afisher » Sun May 13, 2007 10:47 pm

afisher

Return to Bourbon, Straight