Beamtown throwdown.......7........8.........9

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Beamtown throwdown.......7........8.........9

Unread postby Mike » Fri May 11, 2007 5:22 pm

Beam bourbons have been getting some good press lately. Baker's won Best American Whiskey at Whiskey Magazine and Mike Veach picked Beam Black in that same tasting. And, of course, our own bunghole has been megaphoning Beam Black for some time now.

Now comes Mike, doing a completely worthless comparison of Baker's, Beam Black, and Knob Creek. These bourbons are 7, 8, and 9 years old respectively. I ask someone (cowdery, bourbonv, whoever) who might know if Beam uses the same recipe for the mash. If they do, then it stands to reason that the differences are in the proof (86, 107, and 100 respectively), age, and barrel selection. Initially, no attempt will be made to equalize the proofs.

I am, of course, using the same glassware and poured about 30 ml in each glass. All have now been in the glass about 15 minutes as I begin to nose them. My procedure is as follows, I nose all the bourbons once then flush my nose with water (Barleycorn says this refreshes the smeller) and nose again. When I taste, I have slight sip of water to clear the palate and then go own to the next. I am not really trying to be scientific, just trying to approach each under similiar conditions.........and this is not a blind tasting.

The noses are quite simliar in profile and all are excellent . The Baker's is slightly richer and more buttery to my nose, has a stronger alcohol vapor, and a darker color. Beam Black is just slightly lighter in color than either of the others, and seems a bit nuttier and has a touch more vanilla in the aroma. Knob Creek comes over as a bit more citrusy than the others.

For me, the nose goes to Baker's, but all are excellent in my opinion. I prefer the nose of the Beam Black over the Knob Creek because I like the vanilla in BB.

For the taste, the Baker's definitely has more alcohol bite, but it also has more of the rich body with its creamy texture that I personally find so delicious in bourbon. Beam Black is a bit softer but has excellent flavor and plenty of maple syrup type character. Knob Creek, while an excellent bourbon, lacks the distinctiveness of the other two in my opinion.

Taste goes to Baker's, but it is right on the borderline of 'hot'. Beam Black is better to my palate than is Knob Creek.

Out of curiosity, I brought the Baker's down in proof to approximately what Beam Black is and could then tell no difference in taste twixt the two.

My uninformed and amateur take on these excellent Beams is this: I surmise that the mash bill for all is the same. Baker's is selected from the best barrels at 7 years and is diluted to 107 proof from barrel proof (probably could work Booker's in here too, but I will let someone else try that).

A bourbon that may need at least another year in the barrel is a candidate for Beam Black. Taking into account marketing and sales, while still holding quality standards, the next selection is for Beam Black, a very high quality bourbon as both bourbonv and bunghole can attest. It is diluted to a softer 86 proof, with good reason, most folks don't care for their bourbon at 107 proof.

A bourbon that can stand another year in the barrel and meets the marketing needs of Beam will become Knob Creek. While not as distinctive or good as the others, because for my palate it lacks a standout quality as the other have, KC is still an excellent product and apparently sells very well.

In my opinion, the bourbon lover would best be served by buying Baker's and diluting it by 10% to 97 proof. I think the best barrels are used for Baker's and start out with a richer content (as opposed to the 100 proof Knob Creek) Diluting to 97 preserves that richer heritage while taking away the excess alcohol sting.

I went way out on a limb here in 'assuming' things about which I know little or nothing. I leave it to bourbonv, cowdery, gillman, john lipman, bunghole and others to correct my errors of fact or judgement.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Fri May 11, 2007 7:17 pm

Georgia Mike,

Some years ago I wrote a review of Baker's at "that other place" and it still might be accessable via a search. I spoke with Baker Beam via telephone, and during the interview he told me that the yeast used for Baker's was different than the standard Beam yeast. To me Baker's tastes different than any other Beam bourbon and tends to reinforce the validity of Baker's statement.

Beam's bourbons have all become quite spendy, and as much as I love Knob Creek I tend to opt for the more affordable Jim Beam black label.

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat May 12, 2007 12:29 pm

Mike,
It is funny that you should mention Bakers...

Last night I met JD and Charles at the Bourbon's Bistro. We sat out on the patio and it was drizzeling rain off and on all night but the umbrella's at the tables kepts us dry for the most part and we enjoyed teasing the soon to be wed Margot that we were making the night before her wedding into a wet t-shirt night (I did tip her well as send off to her wedding today).

Anyway, the point is I decided to revisit the Baker's. I always had found it to be a little hot for my taste and that was why I prefered the Jim Beam Black. I still find the Baker's to be my favorite of the Small Batch collection but I enjoy the Beam Black better. Anyhow, I tried the Baker's again and I did notice less burn and more fruity sweetness to the flavor than I remember from past drinks. I think that I still prefer the Beam Black, but it is a closer race now than before.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon, Straight