Out of control! How do I stop?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Out of control! How do I stop?

Unread postby RockBottom » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:05 pm

Not sure what to do. I have always beer a beer drinker with the exception of a moderate collection of tequila that was how I started long nights. For 15 years the thought of any type of whiskey made me feel a bit queazy. To many rough liquor nights in college I guess. Well my world changed this Christmas Eve when my brother-n-law talked me into trying some Michters American Whiskey. WOW! What have I been missing? Since then I have been to every local liquor store repeatedly. It's a little ridiculous actually. My first bottle was the Michters AW and then Jeffersons Reserve and then and then……up to eight now. I'm still developing my buds so I haven't decided on a favorite yet and Ive only tried them neat so far. I must say the Bookers caught me off guard, wow I could have burnt my house down had there been an open flame in the room. I was defineatley digging the lower proofs until Stagg Jr. which I enjoyed immensely. Anyway, my local stores are pretty limited on bourbon stock at least I think they are, so I'm putting together a list for my friends and family to be looking for. My questions for you all is -What easy to find bourbons should I be looking for locally and what should I add to my list to send out to my friends and family.

In the cabinet now
Michters AW
Jeffersons Reserve
Buffalo Trace Straight
Bookers
Elijah Craig 12
Blantons single barrel
Basil Haydens
Stagg Jr
Crack don't stack it! Collect empties.
RockBottom

Re: Out of control! How do I stop?

Unread postby johnnybogey » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:18 pm

I am actually in the same boat as you. My brother in law gave me a copy of Lew Bryson's "tasting whisky" over the holidays. Like Lew had done when he first got into Whisky, I've been having a dram every night for the past week or so. Finally at the point where I can drink Maker's 46 neat. I thought it was a great read but keep in mind, this was the only whisky book I've read. The result is I've amassed a bunch of bottles in a short period of time.

Some that I've enjoyed (please keep in mind, my palate is far from trained). All I ever smell when nosing is a) alcohol burn and b) vanilla/butterscotch.

Maker's 46 (wanted to try the wheated bourbons as I've heard they are a bit smoother for beginners like myself)
Old Weller Special Reserve (another wheated bourbon. Still looking for Old Weller Antique and Old Weller 12 but no luck)
Larceny (wheated bourbon from Heaven Hill)
Russell's Reserve 10 year (rye bourbon)
Four Roses Single Barrel (this stuff gets a lot a praise but unfortunately, like I said, my palate is untrained)

Good luck with your journey and let us know how it goes.
johnnybogey

Unread postby AustinMilbarge » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:42 pm

Four Roses Small Batch
Four Roses Single Barrel

Those are 2 of my favorites that are regularly available.
AustinMilbarge

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:10 am

familiarize yourself with the 'house profile' of each company. I think the 100 proof mark gives the best comparisons between profiles:

Wild Turkey, get the WT101, $20.
Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond (BIB), $18.
Knob Creek, $30
Very Old Barton BIB, $15
Heaven Hill BIB, white or gold label, $11 or $10, respectively...........if not available, get Evan Williams BIB, close enough...
Old Forester Signature, $20
George Dickel #12, $22
Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrel, $30-40

that;ll give you an idea of the profile each distillery offers, and see which suits you best, then delve further into their offerings.

most importantly......expensive does NOT mean better in bourbon all the time.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Wasatch » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:05 pm

Lot's of good names here so far. I like WT Rare Breed, WT Kentucky Wild Spirit, Evan Williams Black.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby RockBottom » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:30 am

There are a few to add to the list now. I unfortunately am a bit compulsive and was buying way faster than I could taste. I have found help and with their intervention have decided to try everything before I buy any more. Seems like common sense right? Im about halfway through my purchases and there are a few that I really like even with such a undeveloped palate. When I complete the task at hand I will post my opinions for what its worth. I, like JohnnyBogey, don't experience all the different flowers, fruit leather and so on. I do sense the sweet honeys, vanilla, tobacco and of course the alcohol. The alcohol still over powers a few as I am only trying them neat at this point. I appreciate the input so far and look forward to other opions to come.

New Additions
Prichards Double Barrel
Michters small batch bourbon
Willett Kentucky Straight
Eagle Rare 10 yr
Yellow Rose Double Barrel
Bernhein Orig Wheat Whiskey
Four Roses Single
RockBottom

Unread postby Birdo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:30 am

393foureyedfox wrote:familiarize yourself with the 'house profile' of each company. I think the 100 proof mark gives the best comparisons between profiles:

Wild Turkey, get the WT101, $20.
Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond (BIB), $18.
Knob Creek, $30
Very Old Barton BIB, $15
Heaven Hill BIB, white or gold label, $11 or $10, respectively...........if not available, get Evan Williams BIB, close enough...
Old Forester Signature, $20
George Dickel #12, $22
Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrel, $30-40

This is an awesome list.
Birdo

Unread postby M6Coupe » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:03 am

I'm feeling you brother.

I also spent one too many nights on the spinning bed as a 28 year old.

As a result, I avoided powerful spirits like scotch and bourbon for many years.

This fall/winter has been a baptism in bourbon for me.

From "0" bourbon in August, my collection now includes:

Lost Prophet
Rhetoric
Willett 11 yr and 6 yr bourbon
Old Scout Smooth Ambler 10 yr and 8 yr barrel proof
Old Scout Smooth Ambler Rye
Col. EH Taylor Barrel Proof bourbon
Stagg, Jr
Elmer T Lee
Weller 12 yr
Old Weller Antique 107
Wild Turkey Diamond, Tradition
Russell's Rye
Russell's 10 yr single barrel
Four Roses OESV
Woodford Sonoma-Cutrer
Woodford Cask Strength 375 ml

I think I need a life preserver.
M6Coupe

Unread postby ebo » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:58 pm

I can pretty much guarantee that getting a divorce and paying alimony will slow you down. Just sayin'. :cry:
ebo

Unread postby RockBottom » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:40 pm

Well I've put myself on probation for now. Two bottles per month, at least until some new stuff hits the shelves. As I said before I'm still a beer drinker at heart so the bourbon experience is one of tasting thus far. Sipping neat, adding a cube if needed, has really been an enjoyable endeavor. I typically will open two bottles and try just a taste of both and pour a glass of the one I like better. I'm down to only four bottles that I haven't cracked yet so by next weekend I will be all caught up. Many of them have been great but I have been going back to the Stagg Jr and Knob Creek single barrel. They are both a both a bit stiff but with a single cube they they really are amazing. After this month I will be focusing on some of the more main stream bourbons and whiskeys, especially the ones mentioned earlier in this post. I do realize that more expensive doesn't always equate better taste so eventually I will give all namesakes their day. I do thank all of you for your advice and suggestions so please keep them coming. If anyone is ever in western MD we will have to meet up and partake in a tasting.
RockBottom

Unread postby RockBottom » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:35 pm

M6coupe it looks like you have the bug as bad as me. Nice selection. I've been looking for a few in your stash without any luck. Elmer T Lee, Weller 12 and OWA 107 do not exist around me. Good finds.
RockBottom

Unread postby M6Coupe » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:30 pm

Maybe we can share a room down at the rehab clinic in a couple of years!!!

That Stagg Jr and ice cube recipe is a +1.
M6Coupe

Unread postby Squire » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:25 pm

I second Fox's list above and would add I won't buy any brand put out by someone who didn't actually make the whisky in the bottle.
Squire

Unread postby JvW » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:04 pm

Hello Everybody,

New to the community and have started my little collection of bourbons. Currently have a variety of 25 different bottles, ranging from under $20 to $100. I thoroughly enjoy sipping on a glass in the evening and learn about the drink (compare my notes to what has been said in the Review section).
I was out of town last week and had the chance to buy a bottle of Lost Prophet for $200 and was wondering what the consesus is of if its worth the price (the chance is still there to go back and get it).

Thanks,

Jan
JvW

Return to Bourbon, Straight