Is the pudding in the proof?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Is the pudding in the proof?

Unread postby Mike » Tue May 01, 2007 10:15 am

Let me say upfront that my palate prefers bourbons t'wixt 90 and 110 proof. Less than 90 the bourbon becomes thin and more than 110 it almost always becomes too alcoholic, hot, and tends to 'scald' my gullet.

Many other BE folks seem to also prefer proofs in that same range. In ruminating on this I wonder if the alcohol itself, even though tasteless, contributes by vitue of its ability to 'carry' flavors. I realize that in diluting whiskey out of the barrel flavors are likewise diluted, but I also wonder if more than just dilution is going on, i.e. if the alcohol could be acting as a flavor amplifier.

It is my own opinion, based solely on my limited experience, that aromas are wafted up more readily by the evaporating alcohol in higher proof whiskies. However, the same dilution argument can be made of course about the aromatic elements just being less concentrated and therefore weaker in lower proof bourbons.

To sum up, does the alcohol itself, in greater amount, enable (if I may use that word) more flavor and aroma to emerge from the bourbon as I am suggesting it does? I would also suggest that, for my palate, proofs above about 110 tend to destroy flavor rather than enhance it.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Tue May 01, 2007 11:26 am

What did he just say??

Just kidding Mike.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby Mike » Tue May 01, 2007 12:33 pm

Bourbon HQ wrote:
What did he just say??

Just kidding Mike.

Gayle

Shucks, Gayle, I can't hep it.............I just git carried away by the words. I got a friend who once told me that I had never met a word I didn't like.........'tis true, 'tis true.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Tue May 01, 2007 7:07 pm

Mike, I would say, it depends. :) Some whiskeys lose oomph with too much water added. Some whiskeys have flavours "locked in" by too much ethanol. You need the golden mean, not easy to achieve.

I think ethanol has (despite rumours to the contrary) a flavor, so that contributes to a whiskey. But it can also "hide" flavours: we've all had the experience of adding a drop of water to whiskey and it blossoms.

It is something not predictable, not reducible to a formula. But generally, around 90-100 proof seems best.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed May 02, 2007 8:17 am

Mike,
I think there is a reason that 50% alcohol is what came to be considered 100 proof. It is at that proof that whiskey taste best. It is that proof that the balance between alcohol and the other flavors is at its best. I personally would rather see unfiltered bourbons and rye bottled at 100 proof than the high barrel proofs of today. Of course the best scenario would be to have a barrel proof of 100 proof and bottle it unfiltered.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed May 02, 2007 7:34 pm

bourbonv wrote: Of course the best scenario would be to have a barrel proof of 100 proof and bottle it unfiltered.

I agree.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby afisher » Fri May 11, 2007 12:16 pm

OK, here's a theory: there's a sweet spot created by competition between "more alchohol increases the mobility of flavor components to your olfactory sensors" and "more alcohol numbs your olfactory sensors." The common observation that flavors can be unlocked by a little water lends support to the 2nd part of the theory. An experiment to try on the other end would be to add some grain alcohol to a low-proof whiskey and see if it seems to have more flavor (or at least more flavor than if you dilute it equally with water).
afisher

Return to Bourbon, Straight