Turkey Tasting last weekend

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Turkey Tasting last weekend

Unread postby MikeK » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:54 pm

Last Saturdays 'theme' was Wild Turkey. Contestants included: 12yo split label, 12yo gold foil label, RR-101, Rye, KS, and RB. The vintage 8yo bottle was on the table just for fun.

The gold foil bottle was opened that night, so my impressions will no doubt change as it "opens up". It was quite good right off the bat but seems older and woodier than the split label. The comparison is not fair since the split label bottle has been open a while. The split label was very sweet that night, so much so that even my wife was sipping it. She enjoys the smell of Bourbon but usually finds the taste too strong.

Also noteworthy was a bottle of Weller Centennial "Frankfort"; bought a year ago. It was fantastic, we wonder where the contents were actually made.

Cheers,
Attachments
wt_table1.jpg
wt_table1.jpg (42.24 KiB) Viewed 4340 times
Mike
"The only way to drink Bourbon is straight, and preferably straight from the barrel."
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Re: Turkey Tasting last weekend

Unread postby Mike » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:35 pm

MikeK wrote:Last Saturdays 'theme' was Wild Turkey. Contestants included: 12yo split label, 12yo gold foil label, RR-101, Rye, KS, and RB. The vintage 8yo bottle was on the table just for fun.

Good job I wasn't there Mike, for, as you know, I don't care for any of those bourbons (uh huh).

Give us your take on how they compare. I always enjoy your reviews and wish you would grace us with many more..........I know they are in you just itching to get out!

You have a unique and interesting palate and an individual approach to tasting that I admire. I wish I had your patience.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby MikeK » Tue May 01, 2007 12:39 pm

I thought that lineup would get your pulse up Mike!

I will be posting a review of the WT-12-GoldLabel sometime soon. What I really need to do is pour some into another bottle so it can open up and breath more. Perhaps in the name of science I'll finish off my 200ml bottle of WT-12-Split so I can use that bottle :)

I hear rumor you'll be at the Fall Festival. I am planning to be there as well. Perhaps Mike night can become Mike & Turkey night. You're only allowed to play if you are Mike, or wish you were Mike, or bring Mike some Turkey.

Cheers,
Mike
"The only way to drink Bourbon is straight, and preferably straight from the barrel."
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Mike » Tue May 01, 2007 12:51 pm

MikeK wrote:I hear rumor you'll be at the Fall Festival. I am planning to be there as well. Perhaps Mike night can become Mike & Turkey night. You're only allowed to play if you are Mike, or wish you were Mike, or bring Mike some Turkey.

Cheers,

I always enjoy your reviews and look forward to the one on WT-12.

My wife, who tells me where to be and when, has put the Bourbon Festival on our calendar. She will be retired then and we hope to spend a full week in Louisville and the bourbon country...........hope to meet all the Mikes as well as lots of others...........sip some whiskey........and continue my lying ways.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Tue May 01, 2007 2:17 pm

Hope you can make it Mike. Maybe we can get together at the Bistro.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Wild Turkey tasting....

Unread postby ggilbertva » Mon May 14, 2007 3:03 pm

Mike,

Just out of curiosity, have you had the Wild Turkey 86.8? I acquired two 1.75L bottles this last weekend dated late 70's early 80's. This was a WT variant I was not aware of and have no idea what to expect. I would be interested in your thoughts. Thanks.

Cheers/Greg
ggilbertva

Unread postby cowdery » Mon May 14, 2007 3:24 pm

Wild Turkey was the last major brand to offer a lower proof alternative. I vaguely recall when it happened and that I was of drinking age (more or less) at the time, which means it happened in the early 1970s. (Most other brands introduced their lower proof versions in the 50s and early 60s.)

Like many other brands, it has ultimately worked its way down to 80 proof but was introduced as 86.8 and stayed there for a long time.

This seems a good time to mention my recent acquisition and tasting of some Wild Turkey 101, which has surprised me by tasting quite young and resembling in some ways both Jim Beam white label and Jack Daniels black label. This was, I suppose, inevitable when they dropped the age statement more than ten years ago, but it would be interesting to compare the current product to a dusty produced even in the early 1990s.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

WT 86.8

Unread postby ggilbertva » Mon May 14, 2007 4:12 pm

What's interesting is the odd proof. Why 86.8? I don't think I've ever seen a proof taken to a 10th. Why not just 86 and then on down to 80?
ggilbertva

Unread postby cowdery » Mon May 14, 2007 5:25 pm

101 was a unique proof too and became a key part of WT's identity. When they launched the lower proof expression, they probably just wanted to be a little bit different.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Return to Bourbon, Straight