Celebrities/Legends of the bourbon world

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Celebrities/Legends of the bourbon world

Unread postby EHM » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:46 pm

As a side hobby, I've started collecting autographed bourbon memorabilia from people that I respect in the industry; barrel heads, bottles, things like that. I really enjoy the history of bourbon and appreciate those folks who are keeping that history alive. I have a growing list of bourbon celebrities that I'd like to add to my autograph collection...but I'd be curious to hear who I'm missing...or who I have wrong...

In no particular order, here are the people I consider to be bourbon celebrities/legends. Who am I missing??

Harlan Wheatley
Julian Van Winkle III
Fred Noe
Parker Beam
Craig Beam
Michael Veach
Chuck Cowdery
Greg Davis
Mark Brown
Elmer T Lee (d)
Lincoln Henderson
Jimmy Russell
Willie Pratt
Greg Metze
Tom Bulleit
(added)
Jim Rutlege
Ed Foote
Chet Zoeller
Al Young
Chris Morris
Bill Friel
Wes Henderson
Steve Nally
Joy Perrine
Dave Pickerel
Eddie Russell
Bill Samuels
Rob Samuels
Kevin Smith
Last edited by EHM on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.
EHM

Re: Celebrities/Legends of the bourbon world

Unread postby devilscut » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:13 pm

First of all, Mike Veach is NOT a legend. He just works at a place who has all of the history books that he has access to. Therefore, he claims to be an expert.
As to your question, You are leaving out Jim Rutledge who is in my opinion, the best master distiller in the business. Four Roses is his domain.
devilscut

Unread postby EHM » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:55 pm

Oops! Didn't mean to leave out Jim Rutledge...you're right about him being one of the greats!

While Mike isn't necessarily a legend in the same way as the master distillers/blenders, I do think he's done a lot to help the industry. In my mind, the bourbon industry relies on educated consumers more than many other industries. It's the educated and excited bourbon drinkers that reach for Four Roses over Jim Beam and drive enough interest in the specialty bottles to make them worthwhile financially for the distillers to produce. Sure we need the guys who are experts at making whiskey...they're undoubtedly the soul of the bourbon world, but I think we also need guys like Mike to teach the rest of us how to love bourbon. And once we know enough to love it, then we' start trying all the other good brands out there and we keep the industry going. Without the Mikes of the world (and many similar people on this site) to teach us, very few of us would ever make it past that initial shot of Jim Beam in college...and that would be a shame. And yes, he does have access to a lot of books, but it's the fact that he shares what is in those books with others that impresses me. He may not be the absolute expert and we may not agree with all of his analysis, but I have to appreciate him for his passion and for helping the rest of us get a little closer to the history and the community that makes bourbon so great.

That said... I'm new here and definitely not an expert on this and don't know any of them personally, but i do appreciate the roles that each of them have played in this industry. And in a community that has seen a growing trend in negative attacks (NDP bashing, Insane price markups, misleading marketing, mean posts,...) , its kind of refreshing to hear about some bourbon history from a guy who lives it every day and still loves to talk about it...

So that's why I think Mike deserves a spot on the list...
EHM

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:20 pm

I never claimed to be more than a historian. Jim Rutledge, Ed Foote and I would include Al Young for distillers. Chet Zoeller as a brand creator and author.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby EHM » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:56 pm

You're not "a" historian...you're "the" historian! :D And I, along with the Kentucky Bourbon Hall of Fame, think you've more than earned a place among bourbon's best. Thanks for all the work you've done to keep the past in the present.

Thanks for the lead on Chet too. I'm just starting to learn more about him and the role he played with Jefferson's. Very interesting journey!

I'll add Al and Ed to the list too..

Thanks!
EHM

Unread postby fishnbowljoe » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:12 pm

Here's a few suggestions for you to add to your list. Some legends, some near legends, some celebrities, some characters, but all bourbon.

Bill Friel
Wes Henderson
Steve Nally
Joy Perrine
Dave Pickerel
Eddie Russell
Bill Samuels
Rob Samuels
Kevin Smith

FWIW, I think Mike definitely belongs on your list. :salute:

Cheers! Joe
"The only bad bourbon, is the one you didn't have."

Please drink responsibly
fishnbowljoe

Unread postby EHM » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:45 pm

Thanks Joe. I'll add them to my list too!
EHM

Return to Bourbon, Straight