Old Forester 86 Proof

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Old Forester 86 Proof

Unread postby Mark » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:50 pm

I'm just wondering what a 1.75L bottle of Old Forester 86 proof goes for in KY... I ask for Ky since it probably is cheapest there but anywhere else is fine. Today while at a class six store at Fort Hamilton in brooklyn they had them for $17. I was like wow, that's a good price but then saw them in another section marked $23. While I think $23 may still be a decent buy $17 does seem quite low. So I scanned one on a self scanner and sure enough they rang up $23 but after showing them the sign they gave it to me for $17. Needless to say I grabbed 3. I think Old Forester is a very good everyday pour at a very decent price even when 'regularly' marked so to me this seems pretty darned good of a deal.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby EllenJ » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:19 pm

You are blessed with an honest liquor dealer. My favorite store across the river in Bellevue, KY would have done the same.

Our local Kroger manager, on the other hand, would have simply said, "thank you" and changed the sign. They actually did that to me once with some produce. I don't shop at that store anymore (Tylersville, for any West Chesterians out there), but I do make it a point to suggest better shopping choices for customers I know. On one hand, I've cost that particular Kroger at least one customer a month for about a year and half now. That adds up to a lot of bucks, especially since most of them are loyal Kroger customers who spend the same amount at other nearby Krogers, thus making this manager look especially bad by comparison to his peers. In fact, by now he may have been transferred to a more low-rent branch for all I know. Except that, on the other hand, I notice the misleading sign was back in place the next day... and is still there.

Treasure your liquor store manager and make a point to send customers his way. And tell him you're doing it and that his response to the sign error is why.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby Mark » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:26 pm

It's actually not so much a liquor store John... It's the 'place' on a military base where they sell the booze haha. I'm even more pissed now since my father, who was with me because he can allow me to shop there since he served 26 years compared to my 4, said I could have gotten another 10% off if I bought a case of 6! :shock: Nonetheless, I am glad it seems it was still a great price for very good bourbon which I am quite a few pours into 8-)
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby angelshare » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:58 pm

The OF 86 rotates through on a fairly regular basis on our bar. The regular price for the 1.75 in VA is $32; maybe $26 if there is a good sale. We'd say you got a steal.

Hmmm...did our tax money subsidize that mistake? :lol:
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby Mark » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:07 pm

No kidding Dave, I guess it is quite a steal then especially when the govt. spends $100 for a hammer. :lol:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby LogicalFrank » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:14 pm

Yeah, I can get hammered for a tenth of that on Old Forrester. ..

(sorry.)
Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius. Bring me more whiskey and rye!
LogicalFrank
Ice Giant

Unread postby EllenJ » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:46 am

:band:

If I had $17/1.75 Old Forester,
I'd be hammered in the morning,
I'd be hammered in the evening,
All over this land...

-- Peter, Paul, and Garvin
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby Mark » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:47 pm

You guys aint kidding... No excuse me while I kick myself in the ass for not getting that further 10% off case of 6! :lol:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Mike » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:10 pm

EllenJ wrote::band:

If I had $17/1.75 Old Forester,
I'd be hammered in the morning,
I'd be hammered in the evening,
All over this land...

-- Peter, Paul, and Garvin

Aw, John, only a few of us here would know who Garvin was (and I am having a bit of a problem dredging him/her up from my memory).

You are a funny man, John............I hope a sense of humor will get you (and me) into heaven!

If not, I have heard there are occasional breaks from shoveling the coal that keeps the other place hot. You know, the usual vices for distraction.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Bourbon, Straight