Maker's Mark, getting old & other nonsense

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Maker's Mark, getting old & other nonsense

Unread postby Mike » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:34 pm

I had the pleasure of spending a couple of days in the company of an 86 year old aunt who was, and still is, quite a beautiful lady. I had not been in her company for a number of years and as we were catching up with all the family and individual happenings, and having a sip of wine, I mentioned that I had grown quite fond of bourbon.

This is a very sophisticated lady and she immediately asked if I preferred Maker's Mark or Wild Turkey..........her preference being MM, as WT is too strong for her palate. I told her that I favored WT a bit in that standoff and she let on that she had a bottle of WT that is unopened and at least 20 years in her possession. Keep it, says I, I will come to your house in Washington, DC to collect it soon, soon.

Anyways, on the return trip I purchased another 375 ml bottle of MM (having finished the last, both by drinking it directly and by using it in vattings).

I have to confess that MM is growing on me a bit, this current bottle, just opened, is a very pleasant pour with a bit more spice than I recall in some bottles and a very decent finish. Not a thing wrong with this stuff!

I think being a student of bourbon and participating in BE has had a salutory effect on my character. In these few years, I have becme more and more like the old men I admired (like my very own father) when I was younger.

You younger guys are allowed to laugh at me! But I don't much care what is on the label anymore and what I enjoy today, I may have panned in the past..............so what?

Emerson once said, 'A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds'. Well, I ain't got no hobgoblins (leastways, not many) in my mind on account of being foolishly consistent (foolish, I can still be). So I feel no need to be consistent in my appraisal of any bourbon.

A new day, a new bourbon..........let me have a sip and I will spin and spew some shit about it and have great fun doing so. When y'all git tired of me, just toss me overboard.........but throw a bottle with me and I will be composing tasting notes about it as I float away.

Maker's Mark ain't no bitch that will put you in yo place, but if she suits my beautiful aunt, she's got some class!!

Now, about this growing old business, would you believe me if I said that I have no desire to be younger.........on my word, it's true, I am a happier and more contented man than ever before. As to getting any older, well that may be a gray horse of a different color.

I think of all the interesting folks on BE, an exceptional bunch of ladies and gents, with great fondness. I owe this site a lot for the hours of entertainment, information, and self-knowledge it has afforded me.

You have heard it all before, and a gracious plenty of you know it for yourselves........enjoy life every moment, she is gloriously beautiful, especially when you don't try to clutch her. True, horrible things happen, and I have no explanation for that, but beauty owes no one anything, and even crying has a stark beauty to it.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:16 pm

Mike,
Maker's Mark is not a bad bourbon. It used to be much better, but it is stilla decent bourbon. Actually, the last couple of times I have had Maker's it has been better quality - not as good as it was in the 70's, but better than it was 3 years ago.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby HondoJohn » Sat May 05, 2007 6:16 am

Mike,
What an interesting read! I, like you, have no desire to return to youth. And I really enjoy coming here to BE to "larn a few things" about bourbon and whiskey! My bourbon of choice remains "JTS Brown" and when funds are available try the new(to me)stuff on the market.

Since in a few months I will be eligible for Medicare that tells you my approximate age. I wish to remain a contributing member of society and still a seeker of knowledge(I am a riflesmith) and bourbon and this forum are contributing to just that.

Thanks again for your reflections....a most interesting read as I stated above.

Ol' John
HondoJohn

Unread postby Mike » Sat May 05, 2007 10:21 am

John, in my haste to try many whiskies I have accumulated way more than I need. If you will send me the names of some you would like to try, and I have them, it would be my privilege to send you some samples. For instance, I sure would like to know what you think of something like the Four Grain from Brown Forman. And you could send me a sample of JTS Brown being as how I have never seen that brand hereabouts.

That way, even though we are near a 1000 miles apart, we can share in a sip. And I would like to know what an old whiskey hand like you thinks of some of these bourbons I enjoy so much.

No bourbon is so good as a bourbon that is shared!
Mike

Unread postby HondoJohn » Sun May 06, 2007 9:16 am

Mike,

Mike,

Thank you for the offer....it is greatly appreciated. I am in a state of limbo at the present time moviing and setting up my gunshop so it would probably be a coupla months before I could take you up on your kind offer.

You haven't heard of JTS Brown? Hmmmmm! It is marketed by Heaven Hill but I have never seen any advertising. Perhaps that keeps the cost low so I can afford it. JTS (John Thompson Street) Brown established in 1855 at Bardstown, KY. Might want to obtain the DVD's of "The Hustler" and "The Color of Money" starring Paul Newman. That is the only advertising(?) I have ever seen concerning JTS Brown.

I will get back to you when I get settled and my life is not so hectic. Again, thank you for the offer,

Ol' John
Attachments
JTS Brown.jpg
JTS Brown.jpg (5.24 KiB) Viewed 5170 times
HondoJohn

Unread postby cowdery » Sun May 06, 2007 2:08 pm

I picked up a bottle of JTS Brown whilst in Bardstown last weekend and have been enjoying it. Interesting to see that it is available in Texas. The Kentucky version was a bond which John's apparently is not. It's very good, especially for the price.

My one and only moderately successful foray into songwriting was for a Columbus, Ohio, country rock band named JTS Brown, back in the 70s, so I have a special, personal affection for the brand.

Heaven Hill acquired the brand about twenty years ago from Seagram's, which acquired it along with the distillery now know as Four Roses, which for a time was owned by the sons of JTS Brown and, after prohibition, by one of his grandsons. JTS was the half-brother of Brown-Forman founder George Garvin Brown. JTS was much older and introduced George to the whiskey bidness.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Mike » Sun May 06, 2007 2:48 pm

Thanks for the additional information, Chuck. We should have known you wrote (write?) music. My curiosity has been tweaked about JTS Brown whiskey, do you know where it is distributed?

I will be going to KY in about 10 days.......Coal Country trip with friends, (plan to see the re-creation of the Matewan shootout), and know of a couple of liquor stores in the 'moist' towns, maybe I can get some there?
Mike

Unread postby cowdery » Thu May 10, 2007 4:02 pm

Mike wrote:My curiosity has been tweaked about JTS Brown whiskey, do you know where it is distributed?

I've only seen it in Kentucky, so you might get lucky. Your trip sounds interesting.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Mike » Thu May 10, 2007 9:31 pm

Should be a good trip. First, we will go to the Museum of Appalachia about 15 or so miles north of Knoxville just off I-75. I have been there many times and strongly recommend it.

Then we will head over to SE KY to Cumberland, Lynch, and Benheim. Last year in Cumberland on a similiar trip, I found a 1 liter bottle of SW Old Fitz, 2 bottles of WT 12 YO and had my first experience with Four Roses Single Barrel. There was a bottle of 12 YO WT still there when I left so I hope to recover it this time. We will stay again at the old schoolhouse in Benheim which is just across from the Benheim Coal Museum where, a year ago, we met a volunteer retired coal miner who gave us the grand tour.

Then we will make our way over to Matewan WV where a shootout twixt miners and company hired thugs occured in 1920. Ten men died in the shootout. Sid Hatfield, Police Chief of Matewan, led the fight against the thugs. Interesting piece of history. We should arrive in time for a reenactment of that event. Time permitting, we will also likely visit Beckly WV where they have a tour of a coal mine............I would not have made a happy coal miner.........cold, wet, bad air, and cramped working quarters.

My friend and I enjoyed last year's trip so much we are going again and taking another friend along.
Mike

Return to Bourbon, Straight