Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108.2 vs. the new 112

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108.2 vs. the new 112

Unread postby abcgroup » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:07 pm

So does anyone have any scoop on the new WT Rare Breed? The new expression is 112 proof and it's not nearly as good as the beloved 108.2. All things point to the 112 replacing the 108. It's a sad day in abcgroup's home.

I have been buying this shit up like crazy b/c I'm afraid I won't get my favorite bourbon again.

Help a brotha out.

abcgroup//
abcgroup

Re: Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108.2 vs. the new 112

Unread postby RandyG » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:59 pm

I plan on buying a bottle of the 112 myself. I'm almost through my current bottle of the 108 and have another on the shelf. Rare Breed is my favorite, reasonably priced bourbon and it would pain me to no end if they screwed it up.

RG
RandyG

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:54 pm

i think its a big improvement.....to me. Many people on the other forum tend to agree. But, the fact that I think it is better means it is actually different than the former, and if you loved the former, the 112 will obviously be different. whether that's better or worse is a personal opinion. The only thing that matters, though, is that the 108 is now a goner, and if you love it, you had best drive around town (or the county!), and pick 'em all up before theyre gone. I still seem them everywhere, mixed in with the 112's
393foureyedfox

Unread postby amg » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:59 am

I have yet to see the 112 around here, so shouldn't be too hard to bunker a lot of the 108.2 if you're so inclined.
amg

Unread postby Agalloch » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:24 pm

Rare breed is on sale at the store near me and I believe its the 108 proof. ive been avoiding bottles over $30 but Ill have to snag that for a try it they are going away.
Agalloch

Unread postby Wasatch » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:02 pm

Did see it with a new label, wondering if this is it. Will checkout soon.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby RandyG » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:07 am

Well, I finally got around to picking up a 112 Rare Breed. My first impressions were not ones of total disappointment. It's still a good pour but after my first visit, I can say that I definitely prefer the old 108 better. Mind you, this was my first visit to this new RB, and in all fairness, my taste buds were "warmed up" with something, that to me, stands without peer (but more on that later).OK, I pour this new 112 right from a newly opened bottle and take a wiff. Hmm, I can't get a nose on this at all. Very flat and lifeless to me. Fortunately the taste is much better than the nose would suggest. Not bad, pretty good actually, but like I said earlier, I still prefer the 108. This one seems thin to me. Maybe knowing that it contained younger whiskey influenced my judgment, but I don't think so. Definitely thinner than the 108, and not as complex. I still get that burnt caramel and spice flavor and my cheeks are left slightly numb, but it's not as prominent as the 108. Again, I can't stress this enough, THIS IS MY FIRST VISIT to this pour, and I eagerly await the next 5-10 returns to this spirit.

Now, I had planned to do a side by side with the new 112 and the old 108 tonight. The stereo was warmed up, the balls were racked, and some great albums were sitting next to the turntable at the ready. Then my phone rings. My neighbor is bored and wants to come over. Perfect. We head down to the pool room and he drops the bomb. He sets a bottle of Pappy 15 on the table and says "have at it". I love my Rare Breed, It's easily my favorite, affordable, obtainable bourbon out there, but it didn't stand a chance. A bottle of what I consider THE best bourbon on the planet was staring me in the face. I finished a good spot of the Pappy before curiosity got the better of me. A small splash of RB now accompanied the PVW15 for an evening of billiards and bourbon.

Life is good :mrgreen:

RG

08/14 - 2nd Visit - Just a small nip today. Nose - Definitely weaker than the 108. Taste - Yep, not quite as full or robust as the 108. The "thinner" sensation I noted in my original reply above is not quite as prominent, but definitely there. It almost tastes to me as if you took some Willet Pot Still Reserve, or Noah's Mill, and mixed it with the 108. It still has a hint of what the 108 was but stands more on it's own. Only my second trip with the 112 but I still think I prefer the 108.

08/23 - 3rd visit - Up till now, my tastes were telling me this new 112 tastes "thinner" than the 108. Well, this thinner feel seems to have been mostly rectified by leaving the bottle, open, for 3-4 days. What I'm getting now, tastes much more like a hotter 108. Maybe my bottle just needed to breathe a bit, but I very much like what I'm tasting now. With the 108, I got a very strong burnt caramel taste, this one's more like a burnt black licorice. Both very tasty.
Last edited by RandyG on Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RandyG

Unread postby Wasatch » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:22 pm

RandyG wrote:Well, I finally got around to picking up a 112 Rare Breed. My first impressions were not ones of total disappointment. It's still a good pour but after my first visit, I can say that I definitely prefer the old 108 better. Mind you, this was my first visit to this new RB, and in all fairness, my taste buds were "warmed up" with something, that to me, stands without peer (but more on that later).OK, I pour this new 112 right from a newly opened bottle and take a wiff. Hmm, I can't get a nose on this at all. Very flat and lifeless to me. Fortunately the taste is much better than the nose would suggest. Not bad, pretty good actually, but like I said earlier, I still prefer the 108. This one seems thin to me. Maybe knowing that it contained younger whiskey influenced my judgment, but I don't think so. Definitely thinner than the 108, and not as complex. I still get that burnt caramel and spice flavor and my cheeks are left slightly numb, but it's not as prominent as the 108. Again, I can't stress this enough, THIS IS MY FIRST VISIT to this pour, and I eagerly await the next 5-10 returns to this spirit.

Now, I had planned to do a side by side with the new 112 and the old 108 tonight. The stereo was warmed up, the balls were racked, and some great albums were sitting next to the turntable at the ready. Then my phone rings. My neighbor is bored and wants to come over. Perfect. We head down to the pool room and he drops the bomb. He sets a bottle of Pappy 15 on the table and says "have at it". I love my Rare Breed, It's easily my favorite, affordable, obtainable bourbon out there, but it didn't stand a chance. A bottle of what I consider THE best bourbon on the planet was staring me in the face. I finished a good spot of the Pappy before curiosity got the better of me. A small splash of RB now accompanied the PVW15 for an evening of billiards and bourbon.

Life is good :mrgreen:

RG

Nice! :D
Cheers!
Wasatch

Return to Bourbon, Straight