Wedding Toast

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Wedding Toast

Unread postby onetwofourseven » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:54 pm

Hi - My name is Ross and I am new to the board. My fiance and I both love bourbon and are getting married in November of this year. Instead of your standard champagne toast - we want (for ourselves) to have a rare bourbon for our toast at our wedding reception. My gut reaction was Pappy 20 year or something similar but after talking with multiple people I don't think it is going to be financially possible for us. Anyone have any recommendations on good bottles? Rare, vintage, unique, etc... Thanks yall.
onetwofourseven

Re: Wedding Toast

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:11 am

Four Roses puts out two "Limited" edition releases each year.

A Single Barrel each Spring (should come out next month I believe) and a Small Batch each Fall (Sept/Oct I believe).

Last years Small Batch for the 125th Anniversary is HANDS DOWN one of the BEST bourbons you will ever taste/find...however that bottling is NOT readily availble in the open market...

The point is their limited edition releases are normally pretty good stuff from Jim Rutledge...he does a wonderful job of selecting these releases...you may want to consider something like that.

I believe typically these bottle will cost in the $70-90 range.

Good luck and CONGRATS on your upcoming wedding!

Joe.
crappie_fisherman

Unread postby Squire » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:46 am

Congratulations Ross, and welcome to the Board. I second the recommendation for a Four Roses Limited Edition, it's very good whisky at the top of the scale and, perhaps more importantly, you can subsequently purchase 4R LEs in the years to come to celebrate your anniversaries.
Squire

Unread postby onetwofourseven » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks yall. It is much appreciated. Can you think of a more antique looking bottle without sacrificing quality - as this would fit the "theme" of the wedding more.
onetwofourseven

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:41 am

Pour the Bourbon into an old bar decanter for the wedding, thus having the "antique look" with a great Bourbon.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Squire » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:48 am

Of course there's nothing wrong with using a color printer to design your own wedding label.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:33 pm

Squire wrote:Of course there's nothing wrong with using a color printer to design your own wedding label.

i like that idea.....any you can each have a sip of it on every anniversary for years to come. nice!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby RandyG » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:01 pm

Blanton's. Not sure if you would call the bottle antique, but it is certainly unique. You should be able to find it at most liquor stores. Drink Up New York has some hand selected bottles available for sale. Blanton's is exceptional bourbon to begin with, having their experts select a few barrels guarantees some killer whiskey.

http://www.drinkupny.com/Blantons_Origi ... /s0530.htm

They still have some of this years Parker's Heritage left. I have not tried this one so I cannot comment on it's qualitiy.

http://www.drinkupny.com/Parker_s_Herit ... /s1398.htm

Another suggestion would be Rock Hill Farms. Another somewhat unique bottle and a stellar whiskey.

I like Mike's (bourbonv) suggestion. An antique decanter would be really cool. I personaly would fill it with Rare Breed, but that's just me.

Congratulations to both of you,
Randy
RandyG

Unread postby onetwofourseven » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:57 pm

I had considered the decanter - it would have to be the perfect one though.

As for bottles, I am a big time Blantons drinker as is and considered it. However, being that I drink it fairly regularly I wanted to go with something a little more special. I'd like to still with a bottle instead of a filled decanter so any more ideas would be greatly appreciated. Specialty bottles, uniqueness and an "antique" look are my criteria for picking a bottle.
onetwofourseven

Unread postby RandyG » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:56 am

Again, I'm not sure if any of these would constitute being an "antique" looking bottle, but they are somewhat unique;

Angel's Envy
Bulliet
Hillrock Estate
Jefferson's
Wild Turkey [Kentucky Spirit]
Willett [Pot Still Reserve]

Of the above, you might be able to come across some 18YO Jefferson's Presidential. This would certainly fill the "special" requirement.

Randy
RandyG

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:33 am

I agree with Randy on the "unique" bottles above.

From an "antique" looking bottle perspective...the EH Taylors come in what I'd consider "antique looking" bottles.

One of my favorites of this series is the orange labeled "Small Batch" BIB. Has some subtle "citrus" notes as you sip it and I consider it very smooth and a great sipper...one of my favorites and not a bank buster either...

The bottle has that narrower and taller necked antique looking design...and IMO gives you a great juice AND an antique looking bottle.

Although the Willett Pot Still Reserve bottles are one of the most unique you are going to find...

There are two newer offerings out there right now (neither of which inexpensive) bottled by Orphan Barrel in Tullahoma Tennessee. There are two offerings both bottled again in "unique" and "antique looking" bottles...not sure if you are interested in something like these but again they are more suggestions...BTW...the 26 yr fetches quite a commanding price...not sure if it is worth it or not..."worth" is subjective as is taste. The two offerings are Orphan Barrel Barterhouse 20 Year Old & Old Blowhard 26 Year Old Bourbon.

Good luck.

Joe.
crappie_fisherman

Return to Bourbon, Straight