I am sure this has been covered...

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

I am sure this has been covered...

Unread postby Xythereal » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:56 pm

Hello, I am new to the site.

I do enjoy bourbon, Irish, and scotch whiskies. I understand that there are very large differences between all three types. I am looking to upscale a "bit" for a sipping whisky/whiskey in the evenings. One thing that has bothered me is the price comparison between bourbon and scotch. For your dollar, do you get equal quality? I am limiting my expenditures to $25 a bottle for my nightly pleasure. It seems like for $25 you have to choose between bottom shelf scotch or top shelf bourbon?Please note that I know you can buy cheaper scotch and of course more expensive bourbon but keeping it in the $25 range.

For less than $25 you are limited to scotch blends of "Johnny Walker Red" (maybe), "Dewars White Label", "Teachers", or "Famous Grouse" as some of the better choices. For bourbon you can have "Buffalo Trace", "Elijah Craig 12 Year old", "1792 Ridgemont Reserve", "Maker's Mark", "Knob Creek", or "Woodford Reserve". Please note that the only bourbon I have had from those listed is "Maker's Mark".

So if you were limited to $25/bottle to drink straight or with a splash-of-water, what would you pick?

Thanks!
Xythereal

Re: I am sure this has been covered...

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:52 am

granted, I havent tried many Scotches, but from what Ive had, I am not a fan. I dont care for the smoky peat taste, at all.

if you are a fan of all three types (American, Irish, Scotch), maybe grab yourself a bottle of Dickel 8 or 12. While no peat taste to it, it has a distinctive smoky taste to it that I dont find in any bourbons, or at least not to the degree Dickel has. And, the 8 and 12 are priced between $15-21 a 750. They also have the 375ml bottles for about $11 at larger stores, if you want a sampler.

My absolute favorite whisky is Dickel 9 year 103 proof. It may be slightly difficult to find depending on where you are, but it is still currently availalble. at $45 though, its outside your $25 range.

I understand your pricing quandry. Im the guy that refuses to pay over $50 for anything, and usually only get close to that on the Dickel 9 bottles, which I have loaded up on in fear they will not be re-released when stock disappears, and Booker's. My usual daily drinks are the $9-25 bottles like HH 6 year BIB, HH 6 year 90 proof green label, Knob Creek, Ezra 7, Fighting Cock.....all of which, (except the KC), are under $17 each.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Xythereal » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:16 pm

I have had Dickel 12 before and enjoyed it. I just picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 and it is very fine stuff!

At the liquor store I noticed Johnnie Walker Black for $25.99. I purchased the bottle of Elijah Craig 12 for $26.99. Perhaps I shall stick with the bourbons. I like the subtle sweetness. Elijah Craig 12 also has a bit of a punch to it being that it falls just shy of 100 proof.

Yeah, $25 is my limit. I do like to sip a bit during the evenings and would prefer spending $50/week over $100/week!
Xythereal

Unread postby RandyG » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:35 pm

Evan Williams White Label or Single Barrel
Elijah Craig 12 YO
Wild Turkey 101
Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

RG
RandyG

Unread postby Squire » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:46 pm

Don't know what your local prices are Xythereal but I would be looking at Old Grand Dad 114.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:35 am

OGD114 is $21 well spent, if you like high proof spicy bourbons. I keep some around, but two bottles a year is more than enough around here
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Wasatch » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:03 pm

Checkout Evan Williams Black, Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, Old Forester Signature.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby corpse_welder » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:55 am

I drink about 3/4 bourbon and 1/4 scotch, although maybe more on the bourbon side and it depends all on your taste as to which you like to pick. Of the blends you mentioned, JW Red is leagues beyond all those, but for $25ish you can get JW Black, which is a fine whisky. As far as single malts, for ~$25 you can get Glenfiddich/Glenlivet which are both decent but quite plain for my tastes. $40 is where it's at for single malts, you can get the very good Macallan 12 and the excellent Highland Park 12. For your price range, bourbon sounds better. Almost all my "regulars" are $25 or under, those being Dickel #12, Weller SR and Antique, Wild Turkey 101, OGDBiB, etc. plus in that price range you can get Rittenhouse, and for about $28 you can get Four Roses Small Batch and Weller 12. $25 or especially $30 can take you a long way in the bourbon world
corpse_welder

Unread postby mastejo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:53 am

Sheep's Dip while not fantastic is a very solid scotch you can usually find around the price point you are looking at.
mastejo

Unread postby PollardsVision » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:13 pm

corpse_welder wrote:I drink about 3/4 bourbon and 1/4 scotch, although maybe more on the bourbon side and it depends all on your taste as to which you like to pick. Of the blends you mentioned, JW Red is leagues beyond all those, but for $25ish you can get JW Black, which is a fine whisky. As far as single malts, for ~$25 you can get Glenfiddich/Glenlivet which are both decent but quite plain for my tastes. $40 is where it's at for single malts, you can get the very good Macallan 12 and the excellent Highland Park 12. For your price range, bourbon sounds better. Almost all my "regulars" are $25 or under, those being Dickel #12, Weller SR and Antique, Wild Turkey 101, OGDBiB, etc. plus in that price range you can get Rittenhouse, and for about $28 you can get Four Roses Small Batch and Weller 12. $25 or especially $30 can take you a long way in the bourbon world

Where are you getting these bottles for those prices? Here in VA
Macallan 12 is $62.
JW Black is $40
Cheapest Glenlivet or Glenfiddich is $45.
PollardsVision

Unread postby corpse_welder » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:52 am

I'm in California and have bought each of those in the last year for those prices
corpse_welder

Unread postby PollardsVision » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:27 am

corpse_welder wrote:I'm in California and have bought each of those in the last year for those prices

Ugh. VA whiskey prices suck.
PollardsVision

Unread postby Squire » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:26 pm

Still far away from Scotch prices though.
Squire

Return to Bourbon, Straight