Weller 12 Year... New bottle?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Weller 12 Year... New bottle?

Unread postby LogicalFrank » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:21 pm

I have (or had, I finished it) a bottle of Weller 12 Year that's in a different bottle than what's pictured here. The shape isn't the same and the writing is on one of those clear plastic faux-painted ones. All of the information seems the same though. I just wanted to make sure this was the same thing as we have listed before I entered my notes. Anyone have any clue? I got it from Sam's in Chicago if that makes a difference. If it helps, I suppose I could take a picture of it--the only ones I'm finding on the net are the same bottle as the ones here.
Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius. Bring me more whiskey and rye!
LogicalFrank
Ice Giant

Unread postby cowdery » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:56 pm

The "new" bottle and label has actually been around for a year or more, but the one you describe is the current package and there was no indication of a product change when the package changed. The one pictured in the archives is the old one.

Weller 12 is a relatively new product, introduced by BT shortly after they acquired the Weller brand, and the white paper label on the standard barrel bottle probably was always intended as interim. So, yes, to answer your question, Weller 12 is Weller 12, although there have been two very different packages.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby LogicalFrank » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:50 pm

That you very much, good sir. I shall enter my notes post haste.

It seems like a rather enjoyed this one more that most it seems. Very good stuff if you ask me. Wish they had a higher proof version of the same thing. I'll have to get around to trying the Centennial.
LogicalFrank
Ice Giant

Unread postby jcgsbg » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:10 pm

I just received a case of 12 bottles of Weller 12 year old that I purchased online from Binny's in Chicago; I got 6 of the old bottles and 6 of the spiffy new bottles.
Of note is the fact that I paid (with shipping) $144 for 12 bottles of an excellent bourbon. I don't know of a better buy on the market than Weller 12 for $12 a bottle...am I wrong?
jcgsbg

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:01 pm

You did good. Here in Louisville, I paid $20.00 for a bottle of the "new" Weller 12 yr bottle.
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:38 pm

jcgsbg wrote:I just received a case of 12 bottles of Weller 12 year old that I purchased online from Binny's in Chicago; I got 6 of the old bottles and 6 of the spiffy new bottles.
Of note is the fact that I paid (with shipping) $144 for 12 bottles of an excellent bourbon. I don't know of a better buy on the market than Weller 12 for $12 a bottle...am I wrong?

This but one of three good reasons to move to Chicago. Bourbon is cheaper there than anywhere else in the universe. The Blues is better and there's more of it, and we can all live with Chuck! :wink:
bunghole

Unread postby LogicalFrank » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:04 am

Never thought of the bourbon as particularly cheap around here but then again I don't buy by the case. Weller 12 cost me about eighteen from Sam's, I believe, which I think is a pretty good deal regardless. Maybe Binny's would be cheaper.
LogicalFrank
Ice Giant

Unread postby LogicalFrank » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:08 pm

While we're on the subject of Weller, is there any difference between these two?

http://bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/DBvd ... aybottling
http://bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/DBvd ... aybottling

The age, proof and even bottle pictured appear the same. In one, there seems to be some discussion of Louisville v. Frankfurt bottlings.
LogicalFrank
Ice Giant

Unread postby ChuckMick » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:45 pm

LogicalFrank wrote:While we're on the subject of Weller, is there any difference between these two?

Louisville v. Frankfurt bottlings.

Frank,

Yes there is a difference. Frankfort bottling is produced by the Buffalo Trace distillery and doesn't have the gold lines on the bottle. Louisville on the label indicates that it was distilled in Louisville. There is a taste difference between the two. Both are very good mind, but one is not being made anymore.

Last year I went to a big liquor store in Louisville and picked up a bottle of the Weller 7 107 and noticed it had the gold lines (filigree) when I got home I cracked it open for a taste and didn't think it was what I was used to tasting for Weller 7 107. Well, I thought my taster was off and decided to have another go at it the next day. It still tasted different the following day so I checked the label a little closer and it was distilled in Louisville. I went to a liquor store close to home and purchased a bottle that had Frankfort and opened it when I got home and did a side-by-side. I think that the filigree bottle is Stitzel Weller distillate and is very hard to find.

The next day I went back to the original store I got the filigree bottle from and bought every one they had left on the shelf.

ChuckMick
Bourbon is the elixir of choice
ChuckMick

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:27 pm

A nit, but the name on the label just tells you where it was bottled. It doesn't necessarily tell you where it was made, i.e., distilled. However, a Louisville label on a Weller tells you it was bottled when Diageo still owned the brand. Anything Weller bottled by Buffalo Trace will say Frankfort on the label, even though the whiskey inside might be Stitzel-Weller (Louisville), Bernheim (also Louisville) or Buffalo Trace (Frankfort).
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Unread postby LogicalFrank » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:55 pm

Confusing stuff! Thanks for the info...
LogicalFrank
Ice Giant

Unread postby Catahoula » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:04 pm

Weller 12 just went through a package redesign and is in limited test market. I do not believe the new package is yet in full distribution, but it may be by now.

http://www.sparadvertising.com/portfoli ... _l_weller/

Incidentally, SPAR was notified we won an award for the new design. We will find out March 2 if it is an Gold ADDY or Silver ADDY. Check back after March 2.

We also won for TH Handy AC.

Catahoula
Catahoula

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:59 pm

Your note says the old package "had not changed in decades." The product itself hasn't even existed for one decade yet. Trace launched it after they acquired the brand in 1999.
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Unread postby Catahoula » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:44 pm

Thanks, Chuck!!!! I was thinking of the Weller package when I wrote that. it will be corrected.

Catahoula

Fixed in 5 minutes! Man, I love this new blog site!
Catahoula

Return to Bourbon, Straight